I need a car (I’m less fussy than Emp so this thread won’t be 100 pages)

What's Hot
jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
edited February 2021 in Off Topic
So, long story short, work are getting rid of the pool car I used for client trips and nursery runs on the way to said client trips, because covid and not really getting use...sooo I need a hatchback to get me from A-B for work (approx 15 miles each way mostly motorway and a roads) with the occasional stop off at nursery on the way. Oh and the odd trip to the train station (40 mile round trip)

my wish list is;

- has to have 5 seats and 5 doors (before mx5 gets suggested D ) because car seat and possibly dog in boot on occasion too
- I’d like it to be a bit of fun if possible. My wife is all ‘just get a 1.0L’...no. I’m not talking hot hatch levels of fun (although that would be nice), but something with a bit of nip whilst still not drinking petrol like it’s on a Friday night binge after lockdown would be nice.
- petrol
- budget wise. We aren’t sure really. I think it would either be, cheap, high mileage banger unlikely to give too many/any expensive issues during ownership £2k or less... 
OR 
up to 8k for something with less miles/age to have it last a bit longer. Open to advice/opinion on either route

size wise, fiesta/polo or bigger. As an Up/fox/citigo type thing is just a bit small.

Do your thing tFB
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    edited February 2021
    ŠKODA Roomster 1.2 TSi. Four doors and high roof line great for child seat access and egress. Large tailgate and boot accommodate most sizes of dawg.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    ŠKODA Roomster 1.2 TSi. Four doors and high roof line great for child seat access and egress. Large tailgate and boot accommodate most sizes of dawg.
    They seem like they’d be anything BUT fun to drive :D 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    Fiesta or Focus.

Ticks all your boxes, 5 doors, seats, practical and plenty of choice out there.

Both are generally rated well for driving "fun" in that they handle well.  Both will be Ford-cheap to run and maintain given the number of them on the roads.  Just avoid the ST models or anything with go faster stripes.

Cheaper than the always-recommended VAG options, because they're the not-always-recommended option!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    For reliability and well built, something Japanese (Toyota, Honda etc.).  If Emp ever makes his mind up, there might be a Civic going spare.  Because they are reliable and well built, they do hold their value second hand though, so might not be cheap.

If you want cheap, something from one of the other brands in the VW group (Skoda, Seat) with a 1.4TSI engine would be reasonable fun in a hatchback size car.  That engine is capable of moving my 7 seater Alhambra at a reasonable rate.  In something smaller it should be quite fun, and quite good on economy.  There will be a Golf with that engine, but the VW will cost more.  The Skoda or Seat equivalent will be same car underneath, and won't cost a fortune.

I'd avoid Citroen.  They will be cheap second hand, but they are full of alien electronics which tend to go wrong.  There is no way I would want a Citroen that was past its manufacturers warranty.  I speak from experience.  I have owned a Citroen in the past.  The one I had drunk large quantities of oil as well, on top of all the electronic issues.

To sum up, if you have the money, Japanese is good, but will cost more to buy because they hold their value.  Otherwise a  non-VW VW group car.  Under no circumstances get a Citroen (unless you can find an old ZX that predates all the alien electronics).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    edited February 2021

joneve said:
    ŠKODA Roomster 1.2 TSi.
    I'm talking about the 2006-2015 car NOT the obviously Golf van-derived model that followed. It ain't pretty but it fulfils the majority of your brief and will be affordable to buy, insure and run.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5442
    edited February 2021
    Mazda 2 or Seat Ibiza?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2422
    If you want a small car that's fun to drive the answer is usually a Ford Fiesta.

However, for your budget you're looking at something old or something slow, and most likely 3 door since the 5 door supermini concept is pretty new.

Cheap banger is a good way to go, though will likely be of an age where fuel economy wasn't a petrol engines strong point. As far as "unlikely to give trouble", if you're running a banger you basically have to decide if it looks like a well maintained example and then hope for the best
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6848
    Ah 5 doors :/ 

My mates Celica is a 2.0, shes asking £700 for it.. I was sorely tempted myself.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 360
    Can’t go wrong with a Mazda. Reliable as heck, pretty nippy and cheaper than Honda and Toyota to service. I’d go with a Mazda 3 for your needs. Plus, they look noice! 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4178
    Toyota RAV4 or Volvo XC90 are ideal if you have kids and dogs
  • Had a 1l eco boost Fiesta when my Focus ST was in for warranty work & it was surprisingly nippy. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7005
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Fiesta or Focus.

Ticks all your boxes, 5 doors, seats, practical and plenty of choice out there.

Both are generally rated well for driving "fun" in that they handle well.  Both will be Ford-cheap to run and maintain given the number of them on the roads.  Just avoid the ST models or anything with go faster stripes.

Cheaper than the always-recommended VAG options, because they're the not-always-recommended option!
    This is good advice.

Mrs R has a 125bhp Focus and it's plenty of fun to drive. 
  • joneve said:
    I've got a roomster, it's not a Porsche , but the huge boot, massive space in the back (with dipped down windows so the little ones can look out the window). The fun bit is that you can take all the back seats out to basically have a small van for cramming full of band stuff ( or just stuff). It's the biggest small car you can get. They're all driven by old people (ahem) so are generally well looked after and cheap.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    The Fords as mentioned. 

You might get a decent, recent Polo. Golf mk7 is a very good car. 

Don’t forget Seat- Cheaper than VWs new and used but essentially the same cars (Ibiza- Polo; Leon- Golf). 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    joneve said:

- budget wise. We aren’t sure really. I think it would either be, cheap, high mileage banger unlikely to give too many/any expensive issues during ownership £2k or less... 
    OR 
    up to 8k for something with less miles/age to have it last a bit longer. Open to advice/opinion on either route

Your choice there is whether 4 x £2k cars will last longer than 1 x £8k car.

Hedge your bets.  If the £8k car goes bang expensively, you're stuffed.  If a £2k car goes expensively bang, you scrap it, and put the £500 towards the next £2k car.

If you buy your £2k car with 12mths MOT, and have a reasonably informed look over it before you buy, then - with your relatively low mileage - you should be good for a year's motoring.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    skunkwerx said:
    Ah 5 doors :/ 

My mates Celica is a 2.0, shes asking £700 for it.. I was sorely tempted myself.
    Errrr got any photos? 
  • My default answer is a Honda Civic. You should be able to get the 1.0L turbo for that kind of money (8K). Fairly quick with 127bhp. A bit TARDIS like, fits two dogs in the back easily. With the rear seats down 2x2x12 Marshall speaker cabs 4U rack unit and a bunch of guitars. 

• PD1598PD1598 Frets: 22
    Can't go far wrong with an Astra. Make sure it's a 1.6.
  • Im going to put this out there.  Citroen Picasso.  Big, roomy, stupidly practical.  Very very dull in all other respects.  Had one for 8 years - admittedly diesel - averaged 60+mph and easily 75 on a long steady motorway run.  Ive had several Citroens and only one had odd electrics and that was a minor issue that effected the radio tuning.  All others have been great.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16630
    PD1598 said:
    Can't go far wrong with an Astra. Make sure it's a 1.6.
    I agree.   

Picked up a 2004 1.6 astra for £650 this time last year.   It's just passed its MOT with just an advisory on the front tyres. 

I did previously have a 1.4 2012 astra, but left it with my wife when we split.   That thing was no fun at all, it had no acceleration to speak of. The older one with the slightly bigger engine makes me feel like a proper boy racer.