I need a car (I’m less fussy than Emp so this thread won’t be 100 pages)

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    A few years ago I needed to take some things to the tip...

I priced a skip at £350, so I decided to see if I could get a cheap car instead, a sort of multi-use skip.

I bought a Renault Scenic for £450.

Several years later, I've still got that car.

It costs me £300-400 each year to maintain/MOT: this year it needed a new track rod, a spot of welding on the exhaust, and a long-awaited service), last year it was a suspension spring, the previous year it needed a new set of boots.

It's been really reliable (yes, a Renault!), with the only issue being when I hadn't run it for weeks and the battery has gone flat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I brought my wife a 1.6 diesel Focus Titanium about 18 months ago. It cost £30 a year to tax, does about 55mpg and has a shedload of toys like cruise control, heated seats, voice activated USB and BT, decent stereo. It can take a big load with the seats down and a bike fits in it which is handy when we leave it at the pub and I have to get it the next day

It's a 2011 and I paid £2200, not a bad car for the money.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Cheers chaps. This thread, if nothing else, has confirmed my suspicions that I probably "need" a focus. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    The best handling (and best looking IMO) Focus Mrs R had was the original model 2.0L Zetec. In 8 years of ownership it did 125K faultless miles and there are plenty of cheap low mileage examples around.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Focuses (Focii?) just work. I've had 2, good to drive and easy to get fixed. The 1.6 should be plenty enough for you but for better overtaking power look for the 2.0 litre. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I still love my Golf mk7 (1.4 TSi) after 7+ years. Fantastic car and nicer interior than the Focus
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I am disappointed that this wont spiral out of control into 100 pages...so on that basis have you considered a unicycle? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2021
    I still love my Golf mk7 (1.4 TSi) after 7+ years. Fantastic car and nicer interior than the Focus
    I'd definitely have a golf - my FIL has just upgraded his 07 model to a '14 plate (which is a Mk7 I think?) - and it's really nice....but they tend to have much higher mileage (on average), it seems....

although...just having a look - there's some nice spec'd ones for less than 8 grand. 

what are the golf models that are GTI's that aren't actual GTI's? i.e. nippy, with a few nice toys? 

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    edited February 2021
    We've got a 2014 Fiesta - Titanium X thingy with the 1.0 Ecoboost 125 engine in it - it flies along - really good car, hasn't missed a beat - loads of tech on it. leather etc etc.

However, I wouldn't say its the roomiest car ever - OK for a couple or single person with no pets.

We've had it 4 up and 3 dogs in the back - I bought the X5 a month after.......
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I don’t buy Fords, as every one I’ve had has had some weird problem which the dealers could never find/fix, despite being returned multiple times and being told it was fixed. 
    I got fed up of being lied to and choose other brands instead. 
  • joneve said:
    I still love my Golf mk7 (1.4 TSi) after 7+ years. Fantastic car and nicer interior than the Focus
    I'd definitely have a golf - my FIL has just upgraded his 07 model to a '14 plate (which is a Mk7 I think?) - and it's really nice....but they tend to have much higher mileage (on average), it seems....

although...just having a look - there's some nice spec'd ones for less than 8 grand. 

what are the golf models that are GTI's that aren't actual GTI's? i.e. nippy, with a few nice toys? 

Basically the mk7 1.4 TSi - about 125bhp and isn't stupidly heavy, so while it's not a GTI it's got plenty to not feel sluggish for normal driving. I'm not sure if it has some other model name in the UK but that's the engine you're after. Infotainment got an screen upgrade midway through the lifecycle but I suspect you'd be looking at a 2013-2015 one at your budget.

I'd have loved a GTI but needed a car well before the several-month waiting list at the time so went 1.4 and it's absolutely fine. 

The only thing I'd be wary of is anything high-mileage with the DSG box. They're meant to be pretty reliable (and I've had no issues with mine), but will cost a bomb if/when it eventually goes pop. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    joneve said:

Basically the mk7 1.4 TSi - about 125bhp and isn't stupidly heavy, so while it's not a GTI it's got plenty to not feel sluggish for normal driving. I'm not sure if it has some other model name in the UK but that's the engine you're after. Infotainment got an screen upgrade midway through the lifecycle but I suspect you'd be looking at a 2013-2015 one at your budget.

I'd have loved a GTI but needed a car well before the several-month waiting list at the time so went 1.4 and it's absolutely fine. 

The only thing I'd be wary of is anything high-mileage with the DSG box. They're meant to be pretty reliable (and I've had no issues with mine), but will cost a bomb if/when it eventually goes pop. 
    Nice one - what's considered "high mileage" these days? like 50k or 100k? 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I am disappointed that this wont spiral out of control into 100 pages...so on that basis have you considered a unicycle? 
    Ignore the OP.

We Fretboard members relish a challenge.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    joneve said:

I think the 1.4TSi in my Alhambra is meant to be 147bhp.  Mine's a 2019, so I don't know if the engine has been tweaked at all.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    I think the 1.4TSi in my Alhambra is meant to be 147bhp.  Mine's a 2019, so I don't know if the engine has been tweaked at all.
    With a remap you can get over 200bhp out of that engine.
    what's the general consensus on Skoda Fabia's? Our main car is a Kodiaq and we bloody love it, so I'm not against getting another. The Fabia isn't anywhere near as good looking as the golf or Leon but it means that they're cheaper.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    Fabias are based on the Polo platform rather than the Golf platform if that makes any difference to you.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Toyota Auris is a good bet but can be more expensive than a Focus.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    joneve said:
    what's the general consensus on Skoda Fabia's? 
    Nothing wrong with those at all - though the Fabia is a size down from the Focus.

Only problem with buying one is that they have the cachet of being a Skoda - and everyone knows that a Skoda is just a VW in a different dress, so all the "smart" money chases s/h Skodas because they're such good value ...

... making them not such good value anymore.
    ;)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    joneve said:
    what's the general consensus on Skoda Fabia's? 
    Nothing wrong with those at all - though the Fabia is a size down from the Focus.

Only problem with buying one is that they have the cachet of being a Skoda - and everyone knows that a Skoda is just a VW in a different dress, so all the "smart" money chases s/h Skodas because they're such good value ...

... making them not such good value anymore.
    ;)

:D you say that, but they're definitely good value if the auto trader prices are anything to go by.