Best Jazzmaster or jaguar for up to £1k?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JerkMoans said:
    Pabcrane said:
    One thing which I discovered when trying out an amp in a shop with their Mexican Jazzmaster - the positioning of the trem is a bit off. At first I didn't know what was wrong but it felt off to me - then I saw that it seemed closer to the bridge.

I don't know if this is all Mexican Jags and Jazzmasters, nor if it bothers most people at all. But something to bear in mind.
    Yes: the Mexican ‘Classic Player’ models have the Trem unit moved about 1 cm closer to the bridge to improve the string break angle.
    From my experience, there is a little less of the ambient "ringing" with the unit closer to the bridge - so something to consider if you are looking for vintage authenticity.

The better break angle did help stability though...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Classic Player series was a first attempt to make offsets for people who don't like offsets - trem position and TOM bridge both move them towards feeling like Gibsons under the fingers, which defeats the point a bit imo. 

To my knowledge they've still never done something at sub-USA prices with vintage looks, trem in the right place, improved bridge (staytrem or just Mustang) and proper pickups (especially the JM). It's odd that such a simple vintage-but-playable model has never existed. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • There would be differences with 7.25 and 9.5 radius' as well wouldn't there? Also, scale length for Jag will be different than a Jazzmaster.
    So, Jaguar V Jazzmaster ;) I've gone through a few JMs, a Jap one, a build and a Mascis. I never could settle on them for whatever reason, but never auditioned the Jaguar over the years, so following this thread with interest! 
    I did have a blacktop Jaguar now that I think of it... :( 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260
    I got a used American Original and it’s fab but doubt whether you’d get one close to 1k unfortunately. Mexican lacquer model would be possible I think but you may need to change the bridge.