I need a car (I’m less fussy than Emp so this thread won’t be 100 pages)

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1467

the_jaffa said:
    Fabias are based on the Polo platform rather than the Golf platform if that makes any difference to you.
    nope, not really. can just get an estate model to give me a bigger boot if needs be. 

last two work cars have been Toyota Yaris and Lexus CT200. Both are impractically small, but have been fine for my needs, so Fabia would be fine. Although I'd prefer a Leon...but you get more for your money (it seems) with the Skoda. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    joneve said:
    I still love my Golf mk7 (1.4 TSi) after 7+ years. Fantastic car and nicer interior than the Focus
    I'd definitely have a golf - my FIL has just upgraded his 07 model to a '14 plate (which is a Mk7 I think?) - and it's really nice....but they tend to have much higher mileage (on average), it seems....

although...just having a look - there's some nice spec'd ones for less than 8 grand. 

what are the golf models that are GTI's that aren't actual GTI's? i.e. nippy, with a few nice toys? 

Basically the mk7 1.4 TSi - about 125bhp and isn't stupidly heavy, so while it's not a GTI it's got plenty to not feel sluggish for normal driving. I'm not sure if it has some other model name in the UK but that's the engine you're after. Infotainment got an screen upgrade midway through the lifecycle but I suspect you'd be looking at a 2013-2015 one at your budget.

I'd have loved a GTI but needed a car well before the several-month waiting list at the time so went 1.4 and it's absolutely fine. 

The only thing I'd be wary of is anything high-mileage with the DSG box. They're meant to be pretty reliable (and I've had no issues with mine), but will cost a bomb if/when it eventually goes pop. 
    I think the 1.4TSi in my Alhambra is meant to be 147bhp.  Mine's a 2019, so I don't know if the engine has been tweaked at all.

Yes, you're right. They actually do a few versions of the 1.4 with up to 148bhp - I wrote the first thing that popped up on google. 

Wiki tells me my 2013 model has 135-ish, and the later ones have 148, not that 10 makes much odds in the real world. Either way it's a decent engine. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    crunchman said:
    joneve said:
    I still love my Golf mk7 (1.4 TSi) after 7+ years. Fantastic car and nicer interior than the Focus
    I'd definitely have a golf - my FIL has just upgraded his 07 model to a '14 plate (which is a Mk7 I think?) - and it's really nice....but they tend to have much higher mileage (on average), it seems....

although...just having a look - there's some nice spec'd ones for less than 8 grand. 

what are the golf models that are GTI's that aren't actual GTI's? i.e. nippy, with a few nice toys? 

Basically the mk7 1.4 TSi - about 125bhp and isn't stupidly heavy, so while it's not a GTI it's got plenty to not feel sluggish for normal driving. I'm not sure if it has some other model name in the UK but that's the engine you're after. Infotainment got an screen upgrade midway through the lifecycle but I suspect you'd be looking at a 2013-2015 one at your budget.

I'd have loved a GTI but needed a car well before the several-month waiting list at the time so went 1.4 and it's absolutely fine. 

The only thing I'd be wary of is anything high-mileage with the DSG box. They're meant to be pretty reliable (and I've had no issues with mine), but will cost a bomb if/when it eventually goes pop. 
    I think the 1.4TSi in my Alhambra is meant to be 147bhp.  Mine's a 2019, so I don't know if the engine has been tweaked at all.

Yes, you're right. They actually do a few versions of the 1.4 with up to 148bhp - I wrote the first thing that popped up on google. 

Wiki tells me my 2013 model has 135-ish, and the later ones have 148, not that 10 makes much odds in the real world. Either way it's a decent engine. 

It's 20 bhp more than I had out of a 1.8 in a previous car.
    edited February 2021
    TTony said:
    Fiesta or Focus.

Ticks all your boxes, 5 doors, seats, practical and plenty of choice out there.

Both are generally rated well for driving "fun" in that they handle well.  Both will be Ford-cheap to run and maintain given the number of them on the roads.  Just avoid the ST models or anything with go faster stripes.

Cheaper than the always-recommended VAG options, because they're the not-always-recommended option!
    This is good advice.

Mrs R has a 125bhp Focus and it's plenty of fun to drive. 
    We’ve narrowed it down to a Seat Leon (id prefer FR spec with 1.4 engine), or Focus 1.0 eco boost which gives the 125hp. 

Something around the 7k mark which gives the best balance of age/mileage/number of owners/condition
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    joneve said:
    We’ve narrowed it down to a Seat Leon (id prefer FR spec with 1.4 engine), or Focus 1.0 eco boost which gives the 125hp. 

Something around the 7k mark which gives the best balance of age/mileage/number of owners/condition
    Hang on.  Not so fast.

You've not even mentioned colours yet ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    TTony said:
    joneve said:

Hang on.  Not so fast.

You've not even mentioned colours yet ...

I don't think Emp has either, and he's 15 pages in.
  • For a bread and butter motor look at KIA or HYUNDAI  ( same company) job done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    For a bread and butter motor look at KIA or HYUNDAI  ( same company) job done.
    Agreed. I think i mentioned this in Emp's original car thread, a friend of mine has a used car business and he swears by them, says that he never gets them back for warranty claims. He also doesn't have a lot of time for VAG group cars. 
    DiscoStu said:
    We were looking at the slightly newer shape (2013 onwards) with a few less miles. Slightly more money but we’d be buying with a view to keeping for a good chunk of time. Plus the newer shape is a bit sexier. ;) 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Treat yourself and buy my Lexus RX400h. Just 68,000m and still flying through the MOT. Yours for £5999.

Relevant graphic:

(OK, so that's for 2021, but Lexus have been nailed onto the top spot since Jeremy Clarkson had zits.)
    goldtop said:
    Treat yourself and buy my Lexus RX400h. Just 68,000m and still flying through the MOT. Yours for £5999.

Relevant graphic:

(OK, so that's for 2021, but Lexus have been nailed onto the top spot since Jeremy Clarkson had zits.)
    My dad’s a Lexus salesman, so would be happy as a pig in shit if I bought another (had two NX’s previously). We already have a mini bus, so another would not be practical I don’t think. It is tempting though! 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    joneve said:
    DiscoStu said:
    We were looking at the slightly newer shape (2013 onwards) with a few less miles. Slightly more money but we’d be buying with a view to keeping for a good chunk of time. Plus the newer shape is a bit sexier. ;) 
    God man you're as difficult as Emp!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you considered a motorbike and sidecar.  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    edited February 2021
    DiscoStu said:
    God man you're as difficult as Emp!
    Message from God:  “No, he’s not”

[edit]
    “PS, Oh, and sorry about Emp, but when you’re as busy as I am, there’ll always be the odd one that gets through”
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I thought I’d sent this;

How many miles is ‘a lot’ for a 12/13 plate 1.4 petrol engine nowadays? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    joneve said:
    Depends on the make and, critically, the scheduled cam belt change interval. 

The VAG 1.2/1.4/1.5 TSi unit has a cam chain.
    Be seeing you.
    joneve said:

Leon of said age (so the mk previous to the current) 
    joneve said:

2012 / 2013 was the period when VAG introduced the new 1.2 / 1.4 TSI engines code EA211. They are a completely different engine to the old EA111 TSI engine. The old EA111 are chain cam and the new ones belt driven cam. A lot of VW enthusiasts say to avoid the old TSI engines because of cam chain issues and excessive oil consumption. Some of this was due to VW's long life service regime where the first oil change didn't need to be carried out until 2 years or 20k miles. Also, the chain manufacturer was squeezed for the price of chains and used worn stamps for the chain links causing premature wear and metal swarf to circulate in the engine. The newer TSI's are a decent engine.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You can tell them apart in that the old TSI has the oil filter at the top left of the engine and the newer one is low down at the front.