Which Kingsley?

What's Hot
CastroCastro Frets: 510
Ladies & Gentlemen

I have set aside some pounds to enter the world of Kingsley.

I have never tried or owned one - a crime for which I subject myself to an hour of Judge Judy every day - so I'd love to read your orgasmic K experiences.

If you could only have one, which and why?

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They are all immense pedals.

What's your current setup? Do you currently have a great amp that you use for all your dirt, and are looking for an overdrive/boost? Or, do you want a different flavour of pre-amp gain that you would maybe run into an FX Loop/Power amp?

All of the video's on the Kingsley website are extremely helpful and full of great tones/playing from Simon, and there are also some great TPS video's that do a good job of letting you hear the differences in a lot of the pedals
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    My first one was a Minstrel, so I don’t think you can go wrong starting there. I’ve gigged only using that pedal straight in to an amp and got everything I needed (and then some, particularly if you get the V3). 

Other than that I’d recommend the Jester. It’s smoother than the Minstrel with a little less of the mid thing going on. But it’s got the added bonus of a great clean boost. That comes after the drive so it simply raises the volume of the pedal, but it works wonders for pushing other things such as a Page. 
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I’ve a minstrel v3 that I got last year. The pedal is really well made and sounds very good. Very amp like, it’s like an extra amp channel to be honest. 
    I ordered mine in January last year and finally got it late October. Just to give you an idea of the time scale ordering direct. Plus I had to pay import tax which was about an extra £20-30 on top of the $430 the pedal cost. 
    I’ve not decided if I’m keeping my pedal or not at the minute. As I’m not really sure it’s what I am after. It’s very smooth, although it has a sizzle switch which adds top end bite. But it’s still on the smoother side. The pedal also has plenty of gain on tap. The eq controls are also quite responsive. Although the pedal keeps its character. Which is quite a thick, mid heavy sound. Very good for soloing and single notes. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Minstrel, 100%

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

edited February 2021
    here’s an internal pic of the minstrel 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Nice, looks like the guts of a proper amp.
    It does doesn’t it. It responds more like an amp under your fingers than a pedal too. I think it’s the pic attack that sets it apart. Also the cleanup on the guitars volume control. I thought the revival drive was very good in the same way. Feeling more like an amp channel than a pedal.
  • It's a valve pre-amp really isn't it? Like a HT5's front end. 

• CastroCastro Frets: 510
    Thanks so far people.

Primarily I'd want some dirt as I use a Two Rock Studio Signature Combo. It has an effects loop and does provide some gain but I bought it as a pedal platform.

I do also use a Vox AC10.
  • The Jester or Minstrel would be a good way to go then, or the Page is a great boost/low gain pedal too.

The Constable can be attenuated/used in front of an amp also, if you wanted a brilliant Plexi voiced drive pedal. it's currently my favourite Kingsley (possible honeymoon period)
    It's a valve pre-amp really isn't it? Like a HT5's front end. 
    I guess it is. Although the minstrel and Harlot etc are designed to be run into the frontend of an amp. I know the constable is designed to be run into the loop or a power amp. 
  • Anyone compared this with a Blackstone mosfet? (Just thinking of the most amp-like drive I've used)

And @Gassage how does it compare to a decent tube driver? 

• monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    Had a minstrel and absolutely loved it. I have always wanted to try a harlot though