Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• There's a lot of similar sounding posts - Feb has been a bit of a struggle but many of us upping the game last week. My target of 40 miles for the month is going to be close, but no cigar, probably. The good news is that I have got some base fitness now and can maintain 8m/mile for 4 miles.

I planned to do 80 miles cycling, and have managed about 3. Next month I'll do better with both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jacklawteyjacklawtey Frets: 284
    edited February 2021
    Anyone got any tips (aside from 'don't do it) for running 100 miles in a month? Polished off 100km in a month relatively easily in January (with aforementioned deep snow and -20º temperatures) and want to go for the 100 miles now the snow is gone and it's a tropical 6ºc. I figure just do the 5-and-a-bit km every day? Not looking to improve anything this month, just a challenge. Only started running a couple of months ago. 
  • I’d think 4x 10k a week would be just about manageable?
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Anyone got any tips (aside from 'don't do it) for running 100 miles in a month? Polished off 100km in a month relatively easily in January (with aforementioned deep snow and -20º temperatures) and want to go for the 100 miles now the snow is gone and it's a tropical 6ºc. I figure just do the 5-and-a-bit km every day? Not looking to improve anything this month, just a challenge. Only started running a couple of months ago. 
    This is what I’m building up to as I’ve set myself 1000 miles this year and in the spring/summer months I’ll need to top 100 miles a month. It’s definitely doable but make sure you give your body rest and stretch properly (I need to heed my own advice). And build up to it. So aim for 70 miles this month and then 80-85 then 100 
  • February summary: 163.4km / 14 runs
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ugh. Feel soo tired today so haven’t run. Will run tomorrow and be 5 miles short of my monthly target (again). Need to do 70 miles next month (at least) so 4x4 mile runs a week. This challenge is hard haha
  • Irritatingly, I’ve buggered my hip up - Bursitis I think. I’m having to do less at the minute, so have only done 15k this week. Might squeeze another 5 tomorrow, but it bloody smarts. 
  • I’ve done two 10kms this week, Monday and Thursday. Was planning another tomorrow but currently drinking IPA and waiting for some Indian food so not so sure...
  • Feb summary

Total distance: 67.3
    Total runs: 10
    Highlight: 5km in 28:12 = Beat previous PB by 11 secs!

Feb despite being a shorter month Ive got on a lot better. Thats despite writing and recording an album too!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Feb summary:

Kept up to 20k per week, giving a total of just over 90k for the month, in 11 runs.  Highlight was 16k/10miles last Sunday - my longest distance since having knee trouble last October.
  • 123km in Feb for me, including a PB for 10k. Carrying a bit of an injury now, but touch wood it seems ok over 5k, so with a lot of stretching and a gradual build back up to greater distances im hoping I won’t need any down time. 

Somewhat remarkably I haven’t ever warmed down before, as I wasn’t really sure what was required. That’s definitely been my issue. I’m now armed with a decent routine and hopefully it’ll start to show. Feeling pretty good otherwise at present, so if I get injury free I think im Capable of another gear. Got my VO2 Max up to 53 this month too. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Good to hear the progress gents. I only managed to get to up to running fitness in the last 8 days of Feb - so 4 runs and 20 miles.

Got loads of walking in though building my leg back up so  - 100+ miles for the month waking/running.

Somewhat remarkably I haven’t ever warmed down before, as I wasn’t really sure what was required. That’s definitely been my issue. I’m now armed with a decent routine and hopefully it’ll start to show. Feeling pretty good otherwise at present, so if I get injury free I think im Capable of another gear. Got my VO2 Max up to 53 this month too. 
    I think it’s different for everyone. I’m taking no risks at all so always do a warm up and warm down. It hasn’t stopped me getting hurt already this year though... 

I know people who don’t do either and have no injury issues whatsoever over many years of running.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • I just can't get into a habit. Rather, I haven't yet. My February goal was just 40 miles which is well within my fitness levels. It's just motivation that fails me.

So, I did 7 runs and totalled 27 miles. Less than January which was the start of my attempt to get into running. I had one good week where I ran every other day, and got my average pace down to 8:00/mile (5:00/km) which I'm pleased with.

Guess I'll just get my shit together and smash it in March. I think one of my issues is that I try to do it after work, but it doesn't fit well with the rest of my house who want dinner at that time. Also, I tend to only run at my fast pace when I should probably do a fast one, followed by a "recovery" run the next day. I should maybe do gentle but longer runs to get the miles into my legs.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    About time I gave an update. Different approach for me this year. I've just been running for 30 minutes at a comfortable pace 3-4 times a week. I don't look at distance at all. I got effed off with logging everything and competing with myself last year (and years before that too). All I know is, I'm a lot fitter than I was in January. At 51, all I want to be is fit and not fat and not be a heart attack waiting to happen. I like my 'going out' clothes (when they were a thing)to fit too (32" waist, size S/M shirts), which at the moment, they don't. That'll be my aim/gauge, if anything.

Good luck all of you. I love reading/seeing all the miles getting logged. 
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129
    I started to get my shit together today. I got up early and did some yoga and stretching - having noticed my back is twinging a bit with what I feel might be sciatic pain from bad posture working at home.

This evening I went out for a gentle plod of about 3 miles. I saw about because my phone was low on battery and didn't record accurately. Apparently I did 2.75 miles in 27 minutes, but there are big corner cuts on the map so I reckon closer to 3.5 miles. And my last mile pace was 5:15 which I don't think I could actually manage at full sprint. Bloody technology.

Still, I'm determined to get it going. My wife has started too which is great cos she suffers a bit of anxiety and went out without me - 18 year old son went along on his bike, but it's a start.
    edited March 2021
    7 miles today! Felt good so kept going. Took it easy which helped! See how I feel tomorrow, hopefully fine so I can get a short one in.

also spoke to my local running shop about my next pair of shoes. They’re going to drop some pairs round for me to try on at home and see what fits well. Bloody marvellous customer service! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    I’ve done 6km after work tonight. Planned to do 10km my calf was getting tight again, the bastard!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Dunno why but I struggled today even though I set a PB jsut a few days ago...maybe not rested enough as was up late last nght
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129
    I'm getting into this running lark. I had a very comfortable 5k in the week where I went out intending to just enjoy the plod but my pace was good and I felt comfortable and I averaged 7:40 /mile which is pretty fast for me.

Today I went for my longest in years, and felt very good doing 10k in 8:10 /mile pace.
    Didn’t get out for as many runs as I’d like this week so managed to drag myself round for another 7 miles tonight. Still a few miles short of my weekly target but feel good about doing 2 five milers and a 7 miler next week. 

Oh and running shop dropped round 2 pairs of ON’s (cloud flyer and cloud stratus) for me to try and I’ve ended up purchasing a pair of the flyers. Lovely.