SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Roland JP8000/8080

What's Hot
I'm feeling the need for spe..   Trance.

Anyone got one of these beauties?

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Literally just sold one.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

However, when I attempted to enthuse Mrs Fab with the object of my desire, her response was "We need new wardrobes".

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

However, when I attempted to enthuse Mrs Fab with the object of my desire, her response was "We need new wardrobes".
    They are getting quite expensive for what they are- the time to buy one was 2 years ago when they were going for £300 ish.
    Now they are £600-900 and a lot of them need mending.
    Indeed, so I gather.  Meantime my inner Empiesto-van-buuren is being sated with a phenomenal soft synth called Sunrizer which was once over £200 and is now just a tenner!

I can't run my fingers over it and feel it's knobbly goodness like a real bit of hardware though.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Indeed, so I gather.  Meantime my inner Empiesto-van-buuren is being sated with a phenomenal soft synth called Sunrizer which was once over £200 and is now just a tenner!

I can't run my fingers over it and feel it's knobbly goodness like a real bit of hardware though.
    There are loads of good synths that will give you that experience without overpaying for a synth- they are fashionable now, after years of not being.
    Which is why I bought one when they were cheap and sold when they were expensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You knew they were going to be fashionable again?  Do you speculate on the used instrument market or was this a purchase to play?  Genuine question.
    Emp_Fab said:
    You knew they were going to be fashionable again?  Do you speculate on the used instrument market or was this a purchase to play?  Genuine question.
    Neither really.
    I buy things I want to use- I don't buy things I don't like.
    Romplers are majorly uncool right now- if you wanted to make money now you could buy a load of them up- but they are 100% against my aesthetic so I won't do that, even though there is money to be made.
    I'm not a trader- I'm a musician, I\m just trying to be savvy and not lose money.

I buy them 'off trend'- when they are unpopular and unloved.
    I sell them when they are back on trend- I don't sell them otherwise and I don't necessarily sell something just because it is fashionable.

I'm not speculating, I'm just looking for the opportunities to turn things over when they aren't being used as much.
    I picked up a Hydrasynth, Nord A1, Polyend/Dreadbox Mudusa and a load of Eurorack recently- the studio was full of synths and the one thing that went up over the last year was the JP8000 so someone came and paid WELL over the odds for it and seemed happy to do so.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    @octatonic What can a JP-8000/-8080 do that an XV-5080 (equipped with the Super Saw waveform on an SRX expansion board) and a KIWITechnics Patch Editor box can not?

In other words, could Emp get the sonic benefits of a Roland ROMpler synth in analogue clothing from one of their less expensive models?
    Be seeing you.
    edited February 2021
    @octatonic What can a JP-8000/-8080 do that an XV-5080 (equipped with the Super Saw waveform on an SRX expansion board) and a KIWITechnics Patch Editor box can not?

In other words, could Emp get the sonic benefits of a Roland ROMpler synth in analogue clothing from one of their less expensive models?
    Playing the keys is the least interesting thing about synths of this type.
    When you play the timbre- with knobs and sliders- you are in a completely different sound world.
    The doing of it is completely different.
    Does the sound come close? Sure- but the experience is totally different.
    A facsimile of the actual process.
    IMHO.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Ah, yes, the recordable Real Time control adjustments. 
    Be seeing you.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    Sunrizer as already mentioned is the way to go. I've had a JP-8000 and two JP-8080s and they tend to crap out over MIDI when using the realtime controller data, plus early versions had sync issues on the JP-8000. I had my JP-8000 for about 20 years, so knew it fairly well by then, okay synth with its own thing going on, but not the greatest sounding of all the Roland synths.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    I was thinking about this thread last night (sorry, Emp, I don't have one to sell) - I was noodling with Alchemy for a bit (one of Logic Pro's built-in synths). It's an incredibly powerful, 4 Osc VA/Rompler with seemingly limitless modulation possibilities.

The end result of which left me thinking not "Wow, I could literally create any sound I can imagine using this", but "I wonder how much that hardware Novation VA I used to lust after in the late 90's goes for these days?"*. A softsynth, even with a (generic) hardware controller, just isn't the same.

Going back on-topic, would a Roland GAIA fit the bill? Gives you the Roland Supersaw and is cheaper new than a SH JP8000.

* - "Too much for an impulse buy that wouldn't be repairable if it broke".
    LoFi said:
    I was thinking about this thread last night (sorry, Emp, I don't have one to sell) - I was noodling with Alchemy for a bit (one of Logic Pro's built-in synths). It's an incredibly powerful, 4 Osc VA/Rompler with seemingly limitless modulation possibilities.

The end result of which left me thinking not "Wow, I could literally create any sound I can imagine using this", but "I wonder how much that hardware Novation VA I used to lust after in the late 90's goes for these days?"*. A softsynth, even with a (generic) hardware controller, just isn't the same.

Going back on-topic, would a Roland GAIA fit the bill? Gives you the Roland Supersaw and is cheaper new than a SH JP8000.

* - "Too much for an impulse buy that wouldn't be repairable if it broke".
    Honestly, if I could do what I do in software then I would.
    I have pretty much all the major players in software synthesis- they sound great, they are recallable and easy to work with.
    They just don't give me 'the feelings'.

The honourable mention here is the way in which Omnisphere maps to the hardware.
    Having the hardware synth + Omnisphere is a good way to get the advantages of both, because there is a minuscule difference in sound- it is the hardware interaction side of things that is interesting.
    Err, isn't that what I just said?
    LoFi said:
    Yes- that was me agreeing with you.
    octatonic said:
    LoFi said:
    How dare you?!
    LoFi said:
    octatonic said:
    LoFi said:
    How dare you?!
    I know, right?
    I wonder if Emp is getting sick of all the notifications?
    octatonic said:
    That's certainly a valid question.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LoFi said:
    octatonic said:
    That's certainly a valid question.
    We should probably knock it off then.