Computer drawing tablets

What's Hot
Remote working is fine enough, but I often want to draw a diagram for my colleagues to help get an idea across and I can't do it well with other tools. I wondered if anyone had any experience with drawing tablets with a stylus. I would probably use the whiteboard feature on MS Teams with it.

Should I get something big, or will a small one do? Should I look at specific brands, or are they all pretty much good enough? How much should I be looking to spend?

I've heard of Wacom, so this looks reasonable:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-K100981-Intuos-Small-Tablet/dp/B079QMW12S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1H7OQNVMUMKYM&dchild=1&keywords=drawing+tablet+stylus&qid=1614588990&sprefix=drawing+ta,aps,186&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTE5BQVJTNVZGNko3JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTYyNTIxTUNRSzhGV0QwQ0MyJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MzU4MjkxV1pUMTA2N1dONDhKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

And this looks smart and good value:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/XP-Pen-Professional-Graphic-Drawing-Shortcut/dp/B077W5SZD3/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1H7OQNVMUMKYM&dchild=1&keywords=drawing+tablet+stylus&qid=1614588990&sprefix=drawing+ta,aps,186&sr=8-11
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My lad has the XPen Deco1 for his college art projects. He says it's much better than the Wacom he used before. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    My daughter is a graphic designer in the computer games industry, she uses a Wacom.  She brings it here sometimes, it's huge.
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 281
    I use an A4 sized Wacom and found it to be very good, before this I used a smaller version that was also 100% reliable. 

My use is in photograph editing, just for fun rather than professional, I get the impression that Wacom are the go-to brand in the photography world. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26750
    Wacom stuff is generally excellent.

I don’t use it much for work, but when I do need to send something and-drawn I generally use iPad and Pencil and just send a screenshot. Might be an option if you already have a compatible iPad?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129
    Wacom stuff is generally excellent.

I don’t use it much for work, but when I do need to send something and-drawn I generally use iPad and Pencil and just send a screenshot. Might be an option if you already have a compatible iPad?
    Sadly I don't, and have little need to invest in one.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'm a graphic designer and I use Wacom at work sometimes. Many years ago I made the mistake of buying a very big one (think it was A3). This wasn't so good as you don't need/want to be moving your hand that much whilst looking at a computer screen. Since then I have stuck with A5, much more useful. 

To be honest I haven't used it for years now though, I'm good enough with a mouse (in either hand!) to not need it.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    Wacom. You probably want no bigger than an A4 drawing area the tablet will be nearer a3 in size though.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3597
    edited March 2021
    I’ve used Wacom tablets for years.. their pen displays are even better.  

Agree.. the small A5 size if fine for general stuff and will unlock the stylus features across Office, OneNote, etc.  

I paid nothing like that for my intuos though. Your link says around £160.. I paid half that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079Q4QP4Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve used Wacom tablets for years.. their pen displays are even better.  

Agree.. the small A5 size if fine for general stuff and will unlock the stylus features across Office, OneNote, etc.  

I paid nothing like that for my intuos though. Your link says around £160.. I paid half that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079Q4QP4Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think my link was the larger one. A5 seems to be the way forward.

What are the "pen displays"?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18378
    Some offers here that might be of interest (as well as as details of the pen displays like the Cintiq).
    https://estore.wacom.com/en-GB/promotions.html
  • I’ve used Wacom tablets for years.. their pen displays are even better.  

I think my link was the larger one. A5 seems to be the way forward.

What are the "pen displays"?
    That is like a stylus computer screen.. the lines appear where you write - so like working directly with paper.  
    I've ordered an XP-Pen Deco Mini 7.
    I wanted a small one to fit on my desk and I'm not doing a lot of drawing, just sketching little software diagrams.
    Couldn't see the sense in an extra £20 for the Wacom one when the XP-Pen products get good reviews. I'll let you know how I get on.