Password managers ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
I've been using Lastpass for quite a while - and it's on my laptop, computer, phone and iPad.  Now they're moving to a subscription model - which is one of the latest trends that I hate.  In their case, they're implementing a strange version; you pay a subscription fee for each device type you use it on.  In my case, that means four subscriptions!  I am happy to pay a one-off fee for a product but I won't sign up for this.

Who uses password managers and can you recommend any that don't operate a subscription model ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chris.BChris.B Frets: 282
    I've just bought a subscription to Lastpass and it covers all my devices, without multiple fees.

I would have preferred to stay on the free version, but I think the fee introduction was inevitable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    I don't know why you figure it's 4 subscriptions.

It's one subscription or you can stay on the free tier which is now restricted to one device type - you choose to use it free on mobile or free on computers.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Do you need a password manager?

surely it’s easy to remember “emp1234”
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use Lastpass and my understanding is that you now have to pay a subscription if you wish to use it on multiple devices - just the one subscription. They are limiting the free version to a single device. I am happy to pay a sub as it's rather good and my online security is worth it.

What's changing in LastPass Free?

Beginning March 16, 2021, LastPass Free will include access on one device type of your choice. The first device you login with on or after March 16 will set your active device typt
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Try Bitwarden. Open source and free, unlike Lastpass which is owned by Teamviwer. They'll reel you in with a "free" offer and then change the rules and charge you. They're known for it.
  • Thycotic
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader
  • Keepass or password safe 

Password Safe (pwsafe.org)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    Oh....  I appear to have misunderstood the switch!  I thought it was one subscription per machine type!  Either way, I'm not a fan of subscription models, so I'll check out some of the suggestions so far.  Thanks.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited February 2021
    Keepass or password safe....

Big fan of KeePass -- free, secure, and simple.  I sync the password file across all devices with Google Drive and have stand alone versions of KeePass on my Android, iPad, and W10 machines.  I also keep a copy of the file on a USB stick on my key ring.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2423
    I write my passwords on a piece of paper which I keep at home, because there's very little overlap in the type of criminal who breaks into your home to steal things and the kind of criminal who is interested in your online accounts
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • bcjimbcjim Frets: 39
    I have a paid family(?) subscription to LastPass.  I use it on iPhone, iPad and my Windows PCs.  Wife uses it as well and we share passwords for utilities, shops, bank etc.  Works well and worth the money, I think.

Jim.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    Keepass is intuitive and useful features I have to log into several dozen different applications and systems every day.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I've been using LastPass for a while, I've no problem with paying for it, but I'd want it to work if I'm paying and it just seems too flaky to pay for it. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1298
    vasselmeyer said:
    Try Bitwarden. Open source and free, unlike Lastpass which is owned by Teamviwer. They'll reel you in with a "free" offer and then change the rules and charge you. They're known for it.
    It's owned by LogMeIn, not TeamViewer, but you're right, it's standard practice for LogMeIn.  I was a paying customer of LastPass before LogMeIn bought them, and saw this move coming from the way they handled business with their remote control offering, which caused people to flock to TeamViewer, myself included.

I have to say, I'm not adverse to paying for their service, but their mobile app has never worked well for me so it's given me the push to look elsewhere.  I have to say that since switching to BitWarden, I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.  It works really well, including the mobile app, and I don't mind stumping up £10 a year for a sub for that.

• BodBod Frets: 1298
    strtdv said:
    I write my passwords on a piece of paper which I keep at home, because there's very little overlap in the type of criminal who breaks into your home to steal things and the kind of criminal who is interested in your online accounts
    Agreed, but there's more to it than that.  It makes it possible to have unique, long, complicated passwords without ever having to look them up or remember them.  Hackers don't have to have access to your password to break into your account.  Having a password manager generate a 30 character password for something pretty much eliminates the possibilty of a brute force attack.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    @vasselmeyer Thanks for the tip mate - I've switched over to BitWarden, and it's a lot better than Lastpass too!
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    You can self host BitWarden too, the Rust (bitwarden_rs) version is very easy to setup with docker.
  • AlmachAlmach Frets: 105
    Can't you just use a password protected spreadsheet to store all your accounts and associated passwords ?

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Almach said:
    Can't you just use a password protected spreadsheet to store all your accounts and associated passwords ?

I could crack your password protected spreadsheet in under a minute if I had it.