Pontins 'undesirable guest list'

What's Hot
ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
So a whistleblower has reported that Pontins has an undesirable guest list on its database so that staff taking bookings can screen out gypsies and travellers, it includes people with an irish accent and about 40 surnames including McGuiness, O'Reilly, Gallagher and Murphy. I can't imagine it being very successful though, in my previous occupation i've met dozens of travellers and the majority didn't have irish accents or surnames you think you would associate with travellers.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
    Well that puts Pontins on my undesirable destination list...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    That doesn't leave many people who'd want to holiday at Pontins.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Shocking and disgraceful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    My family (specifically mums side of the family) are Murphy's, we're not travellers and don't know any one in the family tree who was. Obviously moved over from Ireland generations ago. 

Not that Pontins ever crosses any ones mind to go on holiday.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    I think, in all honesty, that this is all about Pontins not wanting Noel and Liam pitching up for a nice week off and kicking seven bells out of each other. Then Pontin's rightly realised that just banning Gallaghers would be too obvious, so extended it to a few other Oyrish surnames. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    I read this story and genuinely couldn't believe it was happening in 2021.

What's their policy on blacks and dogs?

Absolutely incredible...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    My wife’s previous husband, and therefore my stepson, has an Irish name. The family haven’t lived in Ireland for over 80 years. How’s that going to fit in with Pontins’ hit list? 
    I remember a thread not so long ago where lots of us were moaning about how awful gypsies and travellers were.
    So, is it OK for us to criticise them but not for a company that might've had bad experiences with them?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    I read this story and genuinely couldn't believe it was happening in 2021.

What's their policy on blacks and dogs?

Absolutely incredible...
    Dogs are welcome.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I usually stay on campsites and owners are quite often verbal about having security measures in place specifically to stop travellers. Some sites ban certain brands of caravan as those are ones associated with travellers. Many campsites in France have no twin axle rules which are their way around this as large twin axle caravans are associated with travellers. 
    Perhaps a bit shocking these days if Pontins do what is said but not that surprising either maybe.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    edited March 2021
    Sassafras said:
    I remember a thread not so long ago where lots of us were moaning about how awful gypsies and travellers were.
    So, is it OK for us to criticise them but not for a company that might've had bad experiences with them?
    I was going to post this news article but didn't want to cause a riot here !  You raise a very valid point.  In today's 'woke' society, it's deemed unthinkable to admit to any hint of discrimination against any group.  You will be smited and struck down if you dare suggest that any group is not completely equal to any other group.  However, within this, there are unspoken prejudices that are considered acceptable, because of course everyone is equal.....   it's just that some are more equal than others.

Whilst people in this thread are scoffing that Pontins' behaviour is reprehensible etc, I do wonder whether they would be so virtuous if a load of travellers set up camp near their house.  The rejection by name only is a stupid and clumsy way to try to keep travellers out though.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    I don’t know if the travellers who destroyed my lad’s cricket ground holiday at Pontins; tbh i didn’t even know Pontins still existed, but summer 2019 we had to spend a few weeks repairing the pitch they’d done quad bike donuts on, clearing tons of dumped rubble and a huge amount of human waste. Perhaps they thought back and regretted their actions as they had a pint at the bar in Pontins. 
    But somehow i doubt it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
    edited July 2022
    -
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    I a nightmare break with two young kids at Pontins where a group of travellers turned up,there must have been twenty of them, young and old ,and they were just lawless ,no care to anybody but themselves .We cut our holiday short.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Sassafras said:
    I was going to post this news article but didn't want to cause a riot here !  You raise a very valid point.  In today's 'woke' society, it's deemed unthinkable to admit to any hint of discrimination against any group.  You will be smited and struck down if you dare suggest that any group is not completely equal to any other group.  However, within this, there are unspoken prejudices that are considered acceptable, because of course everyone is equal.....   it's just that some are more equal than others.

Whilst people in this thread are scoffing that Pontins' behaviour is reprehensible etc, I do wonder whether they would be so virtuous if a load of travellers set up camp near their house.  The rejection by name only is a stupid and clumsy way to try to keep travellers out though.
    Yep, it is the tried and tested problem of prejudice. Pre-judging people due to the behaviour of others.

I wouldn’t want to have anyone living next door who is unsociable and obstructive - be them Students, City Bankers, Hooray Henrys, Manicurists or people who work in A&R (they are the worst).

Might be considered woke or PC, but a sad state of affairs when a corporation can legally ring fence a group of people to single them out.
  • Well that puts Pontins on my undesirable destination list...
    If indeed it wasn't already on your list, remind me to never listen to any holiday related recommendations you ever make! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well that puts Pontins on my undesirable destination list...
    If indeed it wasn't already on your list, remind me to never listen to any holiday related recommendations you ever make! 
    Off to Southwold in May - it’s great !!!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16008
    I've had lots of experience with Travellers...........some good ,some bad
    I wouldn't say they are always bad but having shared a holiday location with them I wouldn't want to do it again .
    They are oblivious to the normal social behaviour/courtesies that people expect when living next door or in the next Chalet / Camping spot etc .
    They also enjoy raucous behaviour amongst themselves and although it's not necessarily aimed at the Gorgers or meant to offend others it's still uncomfortable to be around for most people.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited March 2021
    Well I guess that means the High Flying Birds won't be appearing at a Pontins near you this season then.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Sassafras said:
    You honestly can't see the difference between a specific bunch of unpleasant travellers and random human beings that have nothing on them other than a blacklisted surname???? Wow ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom