Who is dreading the commute into work once lockdown is over?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    JayGee said:
    We’ve pulled the plug on the lease for our office so it will continue to be up one flight of stairs and round the corner into my home office...

We'd been outgrowing our office for some time before the first lockdown, although we only moved in 5 years ago.  I think they will be more flexible about letting us work from home, but I don't know how many days per week it'll be.

I really don't need to be in the office, I work pretty much on my own and barely know most of the people in my own department, let alone the rest of the firm.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    An hour on the bus. Not too bad if I get it before the school kids swarm on, a nightmare if I get a later bus. I actually look forward to it. Listening to music and reading a book. Followed by a fryup when I get to work.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    Cant wait for the Science Park queues, queue to get in , queue to get out
    Empty

“Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    We are looking at 2 days in the office each week once we go back.

It's only a 10 minute commute but with actually getting dressed for work I will need to ge getting up a good hour earlier than I am now.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    I look forward to being on the 7.01 from York and at a desk in central London by 9.30 a few times a week.

I cannot say how much I hate WFH and all its consequences.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited March 2021
    Yep I'm not massively looking forward to leaving the house at 6:30 every day again. Although it is nice to get an hour at the end of work to just listen to music or podcasts without having to go straight into dealing with the kids. Also I don't like the stress of feeling like I have to keep my teams status as online all the time in case it's being monitored and judged if I'm away for a few minutes.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I work from home anyway so no change...

MrsICBM would rather find another job than go back to working in the office more than a few days a month. Luckily this is unlikely since WFH has proved so successful that the company has sold off several of its office buildings in the last year.

Commuting is just such a massive waste of resources in several ways - I can't see things going back fully to how they were, and that's a good thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    edited March 2021
    M1ck said:
    crunchman said:
    Would be even better if BMW and Audi drivers were removed from the roads.
    Any particular reason? I guess if you look at any group of drivers or road users you can find fault, motorcycles, hot hatches, sports cars, 4x4s and so on not just BMW or Audi drivers. I don’t particularly like cyclists on busy or fast roads riding two abreast, or using the road when there’s a cycle path parallel to the road. Controversial? Maybe, but I still give cyclists a wide berth as well as horses even though the number of times I get the universal hand signal from cyclists not obeying the Highway Code as I overtake them - obeying the Highway Code - is unreal. 

The way they drive:

Indicators an optional extra.

Overtaking far too close and when there isn't room.

Aggressively revving engines when there isn't room to overtake.

Cut you up.

General aggression towards bikes.

Deliberately pull out in front of you when it's your priority.

Drivers of other car brands sometimes do those things, but it seems to be a much higher proportion of BMW and Audi drivers.

I must admit I do feel smug when I overtake them again at the next set of lights, and all their aggressive idiocy has been for nothing, but life would be far better without that kind of driving in the first place.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    I cycle to work 99% of the time in the Peaks so I'm lucky, get to do my hobby and can select longer/tougher routes if I feel like it. I'd hate to have a city drive or train commute, that would suck out my life force. Too many people. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    edited March 2021
    My commute has gone from a 25min ride across SE London, filtering through idiotic traffic along the Blackwall tunnel, to a peacful walk downstairs to my laptop. It will remain that way post-COVID, as I've switched to permanent remote-working from Devon instead.

Funnily enough, I almost miss having an excuse to jump on the Triumph a couple of times a day, but at least when I take it out for a ride here I'm only five minutes from the beach or the moors!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    edited March 2021
    crunchman said:
    M1ck said:
    crunchman said:
    Any particular reason? I guess if you look at any group of drivers or road users you can find fault, motorcycles, hot hatches, sports cars, 4x4s and so on not just BMW or Audi drivers. I don’t particularly like cyclists on busy or fast roads riding two abreast, or using the road when there’s a cycle path parallel to the road. Controversial? Maybe, but I still give cyclists a wide berth as well as horses even though the number of times I get the universal hand signal from cyclists not obeying the Highway Code as I overtake them - obeying the Highway Code - is unreal. 

The way they drive:

Cut you up.

Drivers of other car brands sometimes do those things, but it seems to be a much higher proportion of BMW and Audi drivers.

I must admit I do feel smug when I overtake them again at the next set of lights, and all their aggressive idiocy has been for nothing, but life would be far better without that kind of driving in the first place.
    Lol with the exception of revving engines theres nothing there I haven’t seen cyclists do! and often! Perhaps instead of revving engines (which they can’t) they go through red lights to hack car drivers off. Seriously though I think there are as many if not proportionally more bad cyclists, maybe that’s that’s down to lack of regulation i.e. taking a competency test, insurance, mot, etc. but that’s a whole other discussion.
    IMHO anyone using the highway should follow the rules of the highway and in particular the rules that apply to them, and that includes stopping at red lights, and frustrating as it may be, wait their turn in a stationary queue or at the very least proceed with caution - that car in front may want to turn left when a cyclist wants to go straight ahead and is in the cars blind spot, it’s not always the BMW car driver to blame, much as some would like it to be.
    Anywhoo let’s not derail the OPs thread there will always be bad car driver vs bad cyclist discussions and rarely will they see eye to eye, I will always do the right thing regardless. 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
    rlw said:
    I look forward to being on the 7.01 from York and at a desk in central London by 9.30 a few times a week.

I cannot say how much I hate WFH and all its consequences.
    Wow - so five hours commuting daily (unless you stay over). That’s serious respect.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    crunchman said:
    M1ck said:
    crunchman said:

The way they drive:

Cut you up.

I went from a Honda to a couple of BMWs then the last company car was a Nissan X-Trail.  Although my driving never really changed over that period the reaction of other drivers to the BMWs was quite noticeable.  Despite the X-Trail being the biggest of the lot it was as though I had once more become invisible.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    edited March 2021
    Musicwolf said:
    crunchman said:
    M1ck said:
    crunchman said:

The way they drive:

Cut you up.

I went from a Honda to a couple of BMWs then the last company car was a Nissan X-Trail.  Although my driving never really changed over that period the reaction of other drivers to the BMWs was quite noticeable.  Despite the X-Trail being the biggest of the lot it was as though I had once more become invisible.

My brother had the use of a BMW while his car was off the road.  He said that the performance did encourage you to drive like a hooligan.

In London, you see a lot of them with tinted windows as well.  They are typically driven in a way that lives up to the stereotype.

Certain types of car attract the idiot element of drivers.  I'm far more likely to see bad driving from certain vehicles.  To be fair to BMW and Audi drivers, I'd have to say Addison Lee drivers and white van drivers are pretty bad as well.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    crunchman said: 
    M1ck said:
    crunchman said:
    Any particular reason? 

The way they drive:

Cut you up.

My personal experience has been that cars with Ford Titanium on the back can have far worse drivers than BMW or Audi. The discussion is a bit like that old theme of “PRS users are dentists or accountants”. It’s prejudice. Some people like to have social and racial stereotypes they can look down on. It might make them feel good, but it doesn’t win them many friends.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Fuck commuting. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    crunchman said:
    Musicwolf said:
    crunchman said:
    M1ck said:
    crunchman said:

The way they drive:

Cut you up.

My brother had the use of a BMW while his car was off the road.  He said that the performance did encourage you to drive like a hooligan.

In London, you see a lot of them with tinted windows as well.  They are typically driven in a way that lives up to the stereotype.

Certain types of car attract the idiot element of drivers.  I'm far more likely to see bad driving from certain vehicles.  To be fair to BMW and Audi drivers, I'd have to say Addison Lee drivers and white van drivers are pretty bad as well.
    It's down to, I can go mental in a rental. Audi/BMW/White vans, etc are generally company vehicles, like the rental cars you get on holiday, they Re the fastest cars on the planet are all off-road capable
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited March 2021
    Lockdown and being away from being in the immediate presence of the work office has magnified my loathing of being a subservient employee exchanging my time for money. I don't enjoy the work and feel like an imposter as I have zero enthusiasm for the company and have no career aspirations within it. It's been a lot easier to hide these feelings remotely and I don't look forward to going back.

But, back I must go, the pay is good and I need to keep earning at this level for a few more years to meet help us our financial freedom targets and there are zero alternatives that pay like this in my area which amplifies the feelings of being chained with golden handcuffs.

At the end of 2023, I will be in a position where I could take a lower income without compromising our personal goals. Ideally, I would like them to make me redundant at the end of that year as the payout would be significant after 20 years employment, that would be ideal and I really could get out of the rat race.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 603
    Hmmm. Well lock down happened pretty much as I started with this company. I 1 and a half hour each way commute is looking worse by the day! Though mostly by train and the main office is beside the train station so not all bad.

Looking at other jobs though and wondering if WFH could be a negotiating factor or they would just say no?
  • I'll try to work mostly from home but a day or two per week I'll cycle in. About 7 miles each way, not a horrible way to start the day.