I need a car (I’m less fussy than Emp so this thread won’t be 100 pages)

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Wife and I are at stalemate. 

I want an Ibiza FR (1.2 or 1.4) and she doesn’t want to spend 5-6k on one so would rather buy a focus or fiesta (fiesta less money and focus same money as Ibiza but more car) 

I really like the Seat’s and am very ambivalent about Fords. I’ve told her I won’t have a fiesta or Focus unless it’s a Titanium X with all the toys. :D

yes I know I probably can’t be picky when buying a second car but the interiors of Fords and basic bitch spec of their lower models really put me off. I’m turning into Emp, aren’t I? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1083
    joneve said:
    Wife and I are at stalemate. 

I want an Ibiza FR (1.2 or 1.4) and she doesn’t want to spend 5-6k on one so would rather buy a focus or fiesta (fiesta less money and focus same money as Ibiza but more car) 

I really like the Seat’s and am very ambivalent about Fords. I’ve told her I won’t have a fiesta or Focus unless it’s a Titanium X with all the toys. :D

yes I know I probably can’t be picky when buying a second car but the interiors of Fords and basic bitch spec of their lower models really put me off. I’m turning into Emp, aren’t I? 

Yeah poverty spec of older Fords are quite spartan.
    I've always found the steering wheel diameter to be bigger than they need to be with the Focus/Mondeos of the age you're looking at. I guess that's just a personal thing.

• Focus wise I’d go for the 1.6l turbo petrol if you can find one, 182ps but not too bad on fuel.

The 1l is a great little engine but if they have not been serviced properly they can have issues.  The engine has a wet timing belt, bathed in oil.  The belts deteriorate and clog the oil pumps which have filters in.  They are not easy to get to and can be a big job.

I’ve driven the Ibiza and was really impressed with the engine.  Not sure what model it was (1.2 or 1.4) but it had character and wanted to go, like a small terrier.
    I have an ST so probably double the power but I still enjoyed the little Ibiza when we hired it in Spain.

Focus wise I’d go for the 1.6l turbo petrol if you can find one, 182ps but not too bad on fuel.

The 1l is a great little engine but if they have not been serviced properly they can have issues.  The engine has a wet timing belt, bathed in oil.  The belts deteriorate and clog the oil pumps which have filters in.  They are not easy to get to and can be a big job.

I’ve driven the Ibiza and was really impressed with the engine.  Not sure what model it was (1.2 or 1.4) but it had character and wanted to go, like a small terrier.
    I have an ST so probably double the power but I still enjoyed the little Ibiza when we hired it in Spain.

Cheers for that. The 1.0 fords seem to be the ones falling into our price bracket but I’m only entertaining ones with full and comprehensive history for that very reason. 

I bloody love the Ibiza but seems to come with a more premium price tag and hold their price better than the fiesta/focus. Annoyingly :D 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    The interior of daughters 2017 Ibiza FSR felt cheap and fragile compared to wife's Focus Titanium
    The interior of daughters 2017 Ibiza FSR felt cheap and fragile compared to wife's Focus Titanium
    Good to know. The titanium x has all the bells and whistles and there’s a few floating around. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    joneve said:

The titanium x has all the bells and whistles and there’s a few floating around. 
    Yup, there’s been a ridiculous amount of rain in some parts of the country recently.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I've got a new Focus Titanium, the previous one was a ST-Line X. The only difference toy-wise is the Titanium hasn't got the electric driver's seat. Pretty sure it has everything else, and the ride is definitely better than the ST-Line. 1-litre Eco-boost engine is reasonably good, about 44 mpg average, 40 round town and 50 on a run.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    edited March 2021
    I've got a new Focus Titanium, the previous one was a ST-Line X. The only difference toy-wise is the Titanium hasn't got the electric driver's seat. Pretty sure it has everything else, and the ride is definitely better than the ST-Line. 1-litre Eco-boost engine is reasonably good, about 44 mpg average, 40 round town and 50 on a run.

I could get close to 50 on a run out of my old Toyota Verso, and that was a 1.6 litre seven seater.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    End of thread, then.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Now looking at older (2012/13) focus titanium x’s (although the older ecoboost engines do have some buyer beware stuff on honest John) or I’ve found a bloody lovely 1.4 tsi FR Leon with one previous owner 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102289563059?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=gl34he&sort=price-asc&maximum-mileage=80000&radius=1500&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&include-delivery-option=on&make=SEAT&price-to=5500&model=LEON&keywords=FR&fuel-type=Petrol&year-to=2021&page=1

....wife doesn’t like the look of the older models. FFS. Granted it’s not nearly as nice as the newer shape but if we’re looking to spend less, can’t really be choosy and it looks like it’s in great nick for it’s age.
    Comment I like in that ad;  "all 4 Pirelli tyres".

That's worth bearing in mind when looking at s/h cars.  If all 4 (5 ideally) tyres have a brand name on them that you recognise, preferably the *same* brand name, and a decent amount of tread left - that's a good indicator that they car has been properly maintained.

When you get different tyres on each corner, none of the names pronounceable ... walk - quickly - away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Comment I like in that ad;  "all 4 Pirelli tyres".

That's worth bearing in mind when looking at s/h cars.  If all 4 (5 ideally) tyres have a brand name on them that you recognise, preferably the *same* brand name, and a decent amount of tread left - that's a good indicator that they car has been properly maintained.

When you get different tyres on each corner, none of the names pronounceable ... walk - quickly - away.
    Yea, I thought the same. Nothing that’s shouting red flags. You can get similar age focus ecoboost tit x for around 4K with more miles. (Around 70-80k on current offerings) but some have brand new engines which I’m not sure is a red flag or not. 

I think either would be fine for our needs. I’ve always just been a fan of Seats
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    The Seat looks a nice car. It'll probably be the chain driven cam version. If there's a problem with the chain it will rattle when started from cold.  
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    joneve said:

I’m turning into Emp, aren’t I? 
    Join with me, and together we will rule the galaxy!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Emp_Fab said:
    joneve said:

I’m turning into Emp, aren’t I? 
    Join with me, and together we will rule the galaxy!

You would still be installing the laminate flooring in your headquarters.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anyone got any thoughts on the older shape civics? Not the mk2 (I think) that had the reeaaally nice Type R’s but the next one from around 07-12/13. There’s this one which seems in good nick and low miles;

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101218205877

yes yes, I know I’d narrowed it down to a focus or Leon but just exploring all options. 
    Honda.  Civic.

Thats the sort of car some old bloke with dodgy taste, living in Wales would buy.

Positives:  it’ll probably go on forever.
    Negatives:  it’ll probably go on forever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Haha, I completely forgot emp had bought a civic on the last saga. 

I should just buy his and the whole thing will come full circle.