The joys of skip diving

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7133
    My mate pulled a 1975 Fender Precision out of a skip, and it was so lightweight and was great all round. Someone had literally thrown it out by a recording studio, with a load of other studio tat.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I physically can't pass a skip without looking for some useable wood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Sassafras said:
    Bunch of skip sniffers. "I bet he's from North Lynn" is what you would hear 'round my town.

Don't fall asleep in a skip. Sage advice that.
    Why not? 
    There's Always a mattress in every skip.
    tell that to the Mckeague family

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    Roland said:
    The wood for this came from a skip

Yeah but now shit keeps falling out..next time im gonna use a traditional steel skip. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    edited March 2021
    Switch625 said:
    So he goes out looking for skips to rummage through? That's a thing? I've heard of dumpster diving in the US but I didn't know it was a thing here.
    It's amazing what you can find, especially when you wander around the weathier areas, we have found quite a few antique tables and cabinets in the past that were completely serviceable. Just goes to show what a throw away society we have become.
    It's not always due to us having a throwaway culture.

Spent last weekend clearing out my late aunty's house in the Cotswolds. The buyers were forcing the pace as they were keen to get in. All charity shops are shut and despite our best efforts, lots of nice stuff simply had to be skipped.

Really sad but no alternative. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    I never find anything in them except muck and broken old plaster laths/board had a friend in the 80s who had stuff all over his house from skips like antique brass fire extinguishers ,all sorts .
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    axisus said:
    Must resist misconstruing that sentence!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    zepp76 said:
    axisus said:
    Must resist misconstruing that sentence!
    Tramps with boners. My weakness.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18660
    edited March 2021
    Can't beat the thrill of a good free skip find.
    Apart from loads of good firewood, I've had loads of stuff like 1930's art deco leathercloth armchairs, a 1960's red telephone, an Overwater bass made for the ILEA, a Linn Sonndek (must get that serviced) and a pair of 1950's stick mercury barometers.
    People are weird in throwing perfectly serviceable stuff away... hate that, so if I see it, I'll rescue it 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    To be fair I once went past one about 3 or 4 years ago at the back of Debenhams  and there was a female mannequin in there ,it was mid afternoon though and I felt a bit  conspicuous to be walking back up the hill with a naked female mannequin so thought I’d return after dark or early evening ,by then it had gone . Would have made a great talking point in my lounge or probably could have flogged it (sold for money ,not give it a good threshing )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1075
    Gizmo said:
    @Axe_meister ;Nice find :) i really can't beliver the stuff ppl throw away! i picked up a 2tb HDD from a sky box the other day just left on the street....anywoes How much does your son want for that Nvidia GTX 970 btw? might be interested for a budget 1080p build for a mate?
    He's sticking it on eBay for $180 buy it now. Given the current shortages, bidding can take them much higher.
    He sold an AMD 470 during the first mining craze for £300.

Wow 970's are upto £180 2nd hand now! i let one go just before new year for £100...Power to your son if he can get that for it, infact looking at the stupid prices of gpu's atm i might off my zotac 1070 as im not gaming much atm....
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1075
    To be fair I once went past one about 3 or 4 years ago at the back of Debenhams  and there was a female mannequin in there ,it was mid afternoon though and I felt a bit  conspicuous to be walking back up the hill with a naked female mannequin so thought I’d return after dark or early evening ,by then it had gone . Would have made a great talking point in my lounge or probably could have flogged it (sold for money ,not give it a good threshing )

One thing ive learnt about "coming back later" to a skip is that either it will have been removed to be empty'ed or someone not silly enough to think about returning would have taken just the thing i wanted ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    Can't beat the thrill of a good free skip find.
    Apart from loads of good firewood, I've had loads of stuff like 1930's art deco leathercloth armchairs, a 1960's red telephone, an Overwater bass made for the ILEA, a Linn Sonndek (must get that serviced) and a pair of 1950's stick mercury barometers.
    People are weird in throwing perfectly serviceable stuff away... hate that, so if I see it, I'll rescue it 
    I once threw a Garrad 405 into a skip (Stupid me) with a really nice SME arm.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    Just be careful. Retrieving anything from a skip could be classed as theft unless taken with the owners consent. Especially if the skip was/is on private land or the owner claims the items were only placed there temporarily. 
    Always seek consent. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    When visiting our local recycling centre some time ago, I came upon a Carlsbro Colt 40 in a bin.  I asked if I could take it, no problem, as I said that it would be back if it did not work.

I did not realise that the Colt 40 is a keyboard amp, that did not matter as it did not work when plugged in.  But it did work when a source was plugged in to the FX return socket.  The experts on tFB suggested that I bridge the FX send and return with a pedalboard patch cable.  That solved the problem.

It was, and will be used again, as our family get together musical evening PA amp.  Perfect for what is required.  Cost nothing.  It's 'for sale' value is practically nothing but when paired with a basic Behringer mixer and three T Bone microphones (from Thomann), it provides so much enjoyment and encourages people to sing, it is way beyond any monetary value.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A few years ago whilst doing my back garden I had a skip.

My boy that was 2 at the time had the Nora virus and had an accident on our living room rug, the rug was covered in horrible smelly brown runny shit and couldn’t be saved. 

I rolled it up and put it in the skip, later that night I heard some noises outside the house so I looked out of the window to see a guy putting the rug into his van.

I still have a chuckle to this day thinking about his face as he rolled out a shit covered rug into his room.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    Guy I used to work for went skip diving about 1990 and found a printer.

It worked and he advertised it in his local paper. 

He got about 20 phone calls and thought hmmm there is a market here. 

Started contacting companies and asking to buy their old printers and pcs. 

That led on to selling new consumables to go with them. 

8 years later sold the company for about 10 million.

Waited 2 years until he was out of contractual obligations and started up again. Few years latter that one sold for £40 million.

A bit of skip diving and an entrepreneurial mindset can be worth a lot of money. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom