Inside Chernobyl with Ben Fogle

What's Hot
jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
Anyone else watch this? Absolutely fascinating and harrowing. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    Where is this on?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Where is this on?
    Channel 5 last night, presumably on their Player. 

I saw bits of it. The scale of some of it like the reactors, that giant fence thing, empty high rises, an area the size of Luxembourg fenced off,etc,etc, was something I’d maybe not thought about. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Where is this on?
    Was in channel5 so suspect it’ll be on demand. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10227

I watched it and didn't realise how big an area was evacuated. Seeing all those abandoned high rises stretching to the horizon was a very sombre sight.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    If you want to see proper up close and personal stuff check out ‘Bald and bankrupt’ YouTube channel. He’s the best travel blogger ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    I set it to record and I'll watch it later. Hoping its good.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26744
    It's a fascinating place - well worth a visit once Covid settles down
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    They all (mostly anyway) had covid masks on. So few people there it seemed quite surprising. But I think mostly people who work there are only there for up to 14 days so there must be a lot of coming and going.  
    They all (mostly anyway) had covid masks on. So few people there it seemed quite surprising. But I think mostly people who work there are only there for up to 14 days so there must be a lot of coming and going.  
    Yeah, if it's still as a few years ago they all live in one place that's pretty crammed-in, and are bussed in and out every 10 days or 2 weeks or whatever.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    That reminds me - you should never buy underpants from Ukraine, because Chernobyl fallout.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, if it's still as a few years ago they all live in one place that's pretty crammed-in, and are bussed in and out every 10 days or 2 weeks or whatever.
    There seems to be a little ever shifting community in Pripyat ( which is the city ) with a shop and post office, sanctioned tourists, etc. In some ways it seems quite nice as it is so quiet and lots of nice nature to see ( wolves, wild ponies, bears...) and the couple of permanent residents seemed surprisingly fine.  
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1083
    There seems to be a little ever shifting community in Pripyat ( which is the city ) with a shop and post office, sanctioned tourists, etc. In some ways it seems quite nice as it is so quiet and lots of nice nature to see ( wolves, wild ponies, bears...) and the couple of permanent residents seemed surprisingly fine.  

I've been there...

...in Call of Duty

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Thanks for that.  Looks like it's repeated next Tuesday on C5: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/ncsshb/inside-chernobyl-with-ben-fogle/

Someone over in the photo compy thread had some pics they were going to share - was that you @stickyfiddle ?

Must be a fascinating place to visit.  The closest I've come is playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on the PC.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Ahh yes, saw a brief clip and looked fascinating. Plan to see it on catch-up. 

I like Ben Fogle, an affable chap and he's done some interesting things in his life. I remember his first thing, some weird reality show where they dumped 20 odd people on a barren island to live. Every single person seemed an utter twonk except him, he just seemed like a charming and decent bloke.
  • yockyyocky Frets: 806
    edited March 2021
    They've made half an effort to find a presenter that rhymes with the subject matter at least.

Up next: "Inside Bhopal with Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 281
    A very well produced and presented documentary.  One of the best things for me was that the programme did not follow the current fashion for adding false drama, imminent catastrophe or similar manufactured tension - they stuck to the facts and presented them in a sensible manner - a breath of fresh air.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    axisus said:
    Ahh yes, saw a brief clip and looked fascinating. Plan to see it on catch-up. 

I like Ben Fogle, an affable chap and he's done some interesting things in his life. I remember his first thing, some weird reality show where they dumped 20 odd people on a barren island to live. Every single person seemed an utter twonk except him, he just seemed like a charming and decent bloke.
    Yea. The size of his nose really annoys me as it’s so prominent but he’s a very likeable chap I think. And does a great job in this doc. The access he was given is absolutely absurd. Literally INSIDE reactor 4 (albeit only for a few minutes). Bonkers. 
    Thanks for that.  Looks like it's repeated next Tuesday on C5: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/ncsshb/inside-chernobyl-with-ben-fogle/

Someone over in the photo compy thread had some pics they were going to share - was that you @stickyfiddle ?

Must be a fascinating place to visit.  The closest I've come is playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on the PC.
    Yeah, twas me - this thread has reminded me! 

Original thread here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/46340/chernobyl-now-with-pics/

Chernobyl

Duga 3 Radar Array Chernobyl

The road to Chernobyl

Radiation Level

Pripyat Sign

This was floor 13 of the tallest building, and really quite a beautiful view, in a strange way.

Pripyat

This was the top - something like 24 storeys iirc

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 281
    @stickyfiddle amazing photographs, must have been a fascinating trip.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Awesome pics, @stickyfiddle .

Well worth checking out the full Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stickyfiddle/sets/72157656299853581
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb