The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    At least the old guy can still put it on the spot... five maidens on the trot now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Stuckfast said:
    At least the old guy can still put it on the spot... five maidens on the trot now.

He can't bowl all day though.  The balance of the team is wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I still think that Bess needs a couple of years of county cricket (hwever little bowling that might entail) before he can come near the Test team. HE's too inconsistent, I could no more see him tying an end up than I could see us winning this one.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Stuckfast said:

And that's the value of him. He's still got it. Good thing we didn't send Chris Woakes home when we finally got a track this winter that suited him. 

Jimmy was testing that ankle a bit. How good could it all go: Jim pulls up lame, Stokes is still bowling with a cork up his arse, Bess is offering whatever the Indian culinary equivalent of pies is... 

scrumhalf said:
    I still think that Bess needs a couple of years of county cricket (hwever little bowling that might entail) before he can come near the Test team. HE's too inconsistent, I could no more see him tying an end up than I could see us winning this one.

Do we have anyone better though?

Root is ok as a part timer, but you don't want him bowling 30 overs a day. 

Moeen bowls a lot of full tosses and half trackers as well.  He's nearly 34 and I don't see him fixing that at this point of his career.

I don't think that any of the other young spinners in the county game are any better than Bess.

There is a left field option (if I'm allowed to borrow a baseball phrase).  One of the commentators said Stokes was bowling some passable spin in the nets.  Maybe he should work on that.  Sobers used to bowl fast and spin.  It would balance the team nicely.  It would be easier on his knees as well.
    In days gone by they used to say that if you needed a fast bowler just whistle down a mine. That changed to finding a West Indian with antecedents that fit the rules.

Maybe we need to use the rules to find an Indian spinner who might be similarly "qualified".

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They say Virdi and Moriarty are both very promising, but this probably wasn't the time to throw them into the Test team and risk another Kerrigan episode.

Bess's over this evening was all over the place. A no ball, two rank half-trackers and a couple of pretty good deliveries.

Yes I'd like to see Stokes bowl spin too. Apparently he turns it square.
    scrumhalf said:

Maybe we need to use the rules to find an Indian spinner who might be similarly "qualified".

Not Indian, but Simon Harmer is now qualified to play for England. There'd up uproar if he was picked though, and rightly so.

Mind you South Africa fielded Imran Tahir...
    scrumhalf said:

He's got a busy little action in that he ambles up and then goes through the action really quickly, lots of arms and everything. 

When something that is explosive like that gets out of sync, you end up with the full mixture: rank shit, some good balls, wickets taken and runs conceded, which has been his pattern really for 2020 and the winter tours. We even had a no-ball in there for good measure. 

There's no discernable changes to the action and delivery, the body angles all look very similar to how he was bowling in South Africa when he took five wickets. Perhaps he should follow the lead of the other spinner in the side and work on the approach to the wicket, get a bit more momentum in there. 

Stuckfast said:
    They say Virdi and Moriarty are both very promising, but this probably wasn't the time to throw them into the Test team and risk another Kerrigan episode.

Virdi's the one to watch. Moriarty's only played two FC games, both at the Oval, on helpful wickets. The video below is worth a watch as it ably demonstrates some of the problems we have with slow bowling in this country. The fifth wicket down from the start which I think is Nick Gubbins of Middlesex and one of the worst reverse sweep shots in the history of willow on leather. 

Sadly we don't have more wickets like Taunton or the Oval. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Some fight back going on - Not seen it yet but apparently Stokes delivery to Rohit was a beauty 
    Some fight back going on - Not seen it yet but apparently Stokes delivery to Rohit was a beauty 

Really good.  Set him up well with several balls going away, and brought that one back in, with quite big movement.

The decision did favour England.  It was umpire's call on whether he was hit outside the line, and on the ball going over the top of the stumps. If I was the batsman I wouldn't have been over happy.
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

Really good.  Set him up well with several balls going away, and brought that one back in, with quite big movement.

The decision did favour England.  It was umpire's call on whether he was hit outside the line, and on the ball going over the top of the stumps. If I was the batsman I wouldn't have been over happy.
    seen it now - As good as Waqar at his best
    Yeah I think the umpire gave that one just as a reward for it being such a good ball!
    Indian batting - England bowling.
    Pant v pants?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    Indian batting - England spin bowling.
    Pant v pants?

FTFY

Anderson and Stokes have both bowled very well.

Pant versus two part time spinners and a new ball taken by two tired seamers. 

And MV's farting on abotu Bess being ruined by England. Crap, mate. I know he's a Yorkie now but have some objectivity for once. He bowled shite last year in England and got wickets bowling shite against the worst Sri Lankan side since the days pre-Ranatunga and some lucky snags against India. 

I think some of the article and the problems of 2019 apply very much now and that the real reason Bess was dropped was less to do with on-field matters than his psychological state off-field. 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/dom-bess-reveals-mental-health-struggles-1220194

How many catches have there been from rebounds off fielders?

Looks like another early finish is on the cards. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Root just took a ball to the, um, root and balls! Cracking shot!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    I'm wondering what Bairstow offers the England team that Joe Denly doesn't. 
    tFB Trader
    Wrap it up anyway you want to - Strip it back, exam the issues and chat about it for hours - But either way and this is pure garbage from the team - Plenty of reasons and discussion points raised but certainly very disappointing