Pontins 'undesirable guest list'

What's Hot

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    edited March 2021
    There's a real "chicken and egg" thing with traveller communities and their behaviour (perceived or otherwise).

Elements of the traveller community have been treated appalling by society for decades (centuries?) and so funnily enough they don't feel like societies norms and behaviours are worth paying attention to.

Then, equally enough, elements of the traveller community behave appallingly and so funnily enough elements of wider society don't want them around. 

Its become a vicious circle of discrimination and bad behaviour. 

On the "shit on the walls" thing, I've heard of similar behaviour at other white collar workplaces. It's absolutely mental. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    My Mrs seems to have become the go-to person for traveller funerals round here (she's a vicar). Under normal circumstances the police would close off the entire high street and there would be huge crowds, but by and large the Covid restrictions have been kept to. She's faced some opposition from parishioners who don't want those nasty poor travellers spoiling their nice church, but everyone has been very respectful so far, and she's keen to develop further links with the traveller community. 

I guess it varies a lot from place to place and as to whether the travellers are predominantly Romany or Irish, settled or nomadic. When we lived in Cambridgeshire there were a lot of Irish travellers who had a bad reputation for trashing parks and so on, and lived very brash lifestyles with blingy cars and so forth. Yet at the same time there were settled travellers in our village who were pillars of the community. And the settled traveller community here in East Yorkshire, which I think is Romany, seem like they lead very hard lives.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Cols said:

Mods, should this be in the P&E section?

I don't think being a decent human is actually politics, but that's usually where this kind of thing goes, no?
    In Ye Olden Days this would have been a topic for BCD.  Some of the comments in this thread certainly don’t cast the forum in a particularly good light.
    I guess at least them being out in the open offers a more honest view for visitors.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 436
    Stuckfast said:
    My Mrs seems to have become the go-to person for traveller funerals round here (she's a vicar). Under normal circumstances the police would close off the entire high street and there would be huge crowds, but by and large the Covid restrictions have been kept to. She's faced some opposition from parishioners who don't want those nasty poor travellers spoiling their nice church, but everyone has been very respectful so far, and she's keen to develop further links with the traveller community. 

I guess it varies a lot from place to place and as to whether the travellers are predominantly Romany or Irish, settled or nomadic. When we lived in Cambridgeshire there were a lot of Irish travellers who had a bad reputation for trashing parks and so on, and lived very brash lifestyles with blingy cars and so forth. Yet at the same time there were settled travellers in our village who were pillars of the community. And the settled traveller community here in East Yorkshire, which I think is Romany, seem like they lead very hard lives.
    There are decent people in all walks of life and all communities, and there is also a minority that spoil it for others. That’s everywhere right. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm just relieved it isn't me bringing the forum down this time!! :lol:

Cols said:

I don't think being a decent human is actually politics, but that's usually where this kind of thing goes, no?
    In Ye Olden Days this would have been a topic for BCD.  Some of the comments in this thread certainly don’t cast the forum in a particularly good light.
    I guess at least them being out in the open offers a more honest view for visitors.
    Cols said:

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1028
    My name is on the list, but to be honest I can be a right pain in the arse, so I don’t really blame them. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Sassafras said:
    My Parents had a pub.
    Travellers were welcome, never had a problem.
    Had more trouble with the local gangs.
     I work in a Bank. Full of Dealers and Rich people.
    They shit on the floor and wipe shit on the walls too.
    loads of obnoxious cunts there.

In the bank where you work, people shit on the floor and wipe it on the walls?

I'm down with rich people are obnoxious cunts BTW, just that lacks believability...
    Its true.
    Next time I'll take pictures. 
     The Bank puts up notices when it happens, threatening the sack and offering therapy.
    What sort of bank is it, something like a sperm-bank?
    Just to lighten the tone, I went to the sperm bank myself quite recently. 

The girl behind the counter said 'Would you like to masturbate in the cup?'

I said 'I'm good but I'm not sure I'm up to entering competitions yet'...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Rob1742 said:
    My name is on the list, but to be honest I can be a right pain in the arse, so I don’t really blame them. 
    I'm thinking of changing my name to get on the list so nobody can force me to stay there.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    My Parents had a pub.

I'm down with rich people are obnoxious cunts BTW, just that lacks believability...
    Its true.
     The Bank puts up notices when it happens, threatening the sack and offering therapy.

Threatening the sack to people who are shitting on the floor and wiping it on the wall... it's the staff doing it?

At least it's not the customers I guess.  I have to admit I'd struggle when the nice kid with an ipad comes up and asks me what i'm there to do to say "shit on the floor and wipe it up the walls" - bet he'd still ask me to put my pin in the little pinsentry thing.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Hattigol said:
    Sassafras said:
    My Parents had a pub.

Its true.
    What sort of bank is it, something like a sperm-bank?
    Just to lighten the tone, I went to the sperm bank myself quite recently. 

The girl behind the counter said 'Would you like to masturbate in the cup?'

I said 'I'm good but I'm not sure I'm up to entering competitions yet'...

Hehe - the old ones are the best :lol:
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    My Parents had a pub.

Its true.

Threatening the sack to people who are shitting on the floor and wiping it on the wall... it's the staff doing it?

At least it's not the customers I guess.  I have to admit I'd struggle when the nice kid with an ipad comes up and asks me what i'm there to do to say "shit on the floor and wipe it up the walls" - bet he'd still ask me to put my pin in the little pinsentry thing.
    I worked in a head office type set up so no customers. The coordinated simultaneous shower shit attack in particular must have been done by staff. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    DefaultM said:
    My Parents had a pub.

Its true.

I worked in a head office type set up so no customers. The coordinated simultaneous shower shit attack in particular must have been done by staff. 
    This story has really changed my view and put me right off bankers.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Hattigol said:
    DefaultM said:
    My Parents had a pub.

Its true.

This story has really changed my view and put me right off bankers.
    It’s why Pontins have blacklisted people with hyphenated surnames. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    It really is taking the Mick...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    Have to say it surprises me that any well-heeled travellers would want to stay at a shithole like Butlins or Pontins ;I would have thought it was well below their standards.
    There are 3 sites very close to where I live ;One of them has no less than 3 Bentley GTC s parked outside the mixture of caravans and prefabs and amongst the brand new AMG Mercs on the other one is a Lambo Aventador.
     My pal has a fairly large industrial concrete company that installs train platforms / garage forecourts etc but when they have small residential jobs they give it to a company who sub-contract to travellers ;a couple of brothers in their mid 20s....they both wear £50k Rolex watches and have £160k Ferraris 
    ........Amazes us ......how can you do that even if all tax was paid .....they live like Kings .
     Last time my late brother was in Dubai there were 3 traveller groups staying at the same Mega 5 star Hotel in the £4000 per night suites ! My brother would chat to them and the bit that amazed him was that one family had a disabled child of about 6 years old that kept running away from his siblings.The father said to my bro " Look him there , would you see the little spastic , see him run now ! "
     Incredible.
    Anyway,you can't get Lobster at Pontins.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited March 2021
    There’s a load of members from the Irish traveller community that frequent our local church, turning up every week and bloody listening to the service and taking holy communion and then, after the service, bloody standing about and chatting with everyone, then going away again when it’s time to go. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • None of this shit at centerparcs... except in the pool... 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    ........huge potato headed guys rolling about everywhere......
    I’m not going to wade through this one but this really did make me laugh 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1028
    I live in a market town where we have travellers on either side of the town. If you are to look at them in isolation, there are clearly more social problems within that community more so than the rest of the town community. 

I will give you a few examples of what happens here:

1. you go into the local stores, they are the only people who don’t wear masks. It is a common occurrence.

2. Our local Chinese gives out free prawn crackers and leave bags on the counters. They just come in and take the lot, it’s common and the owner just said you have to just accept it. They don’t even buy any food from him.

3. Several hundred thousand pounds of cash were found at one of the sites when it was raided, buried under tarmac, stolen vehicles recovered.

4. One guy drives into town, gets hammered during the day and somehow manages to drive back again. He can hardly walk at times. He got let out of prison a few years ago for stealing money from old ladies, taking them to the bank after doing jobs for them and getting them to withdraw large amounts of cash. 

5. On the site at the north of us they throw all their rubbish over the hedge, it was so bad the council decided to give them that land rather than clear it up. They now have more land but continue to throw their waste over the fence into a nearby canal.

6. I recall them carol singing a few years ago and I politely said I didn’t want a carol singing thank you. Their festive response was “ well fuck you mister”

There are decent people in both sites, I am well aware of that, but the behaviour by a percentage of them leads them to be pigeon holed. Taxi drivers avoid them, restaurants avoid taking bookings and when you see how a percentage of them behave, I can understand why. 

I always remember a chief constable telling me once that in life you really have to try and avoid those that bring trouble. Cross roads to avoid potential issues, don’t go into areas of concern as in all these cases you have a better chance to avoid potentially harmful situations. In the case of the gypsies around here, I use that advice I was given and so do many people around here. 

I see how a percentage of them live, I have seen how a percentage of them treat others ( I have many many other examples) so I think it’s prudent to avoid them at the moment.

I don’t care what anyone else might think, I just care of my families safety and the town in general and if anyone else appears to be a problem, then I will avoid them too. 

Just another one I remember, walking to my car and a gypsy kid of about 14 trying my car door to get in, whilst walking with his mother. She said nothing, probably quite happy he is doing it. Luckily I locked it. 

Too many bad stories to ignore where we live 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Now i gotta watch Brad Pitt in Snatch