Anyone else have my problem when making a guitar video?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
I look like a twat.

Not so much inherently twattish (debatable), but it's like I don't know what to do with myself. I either stare at the fretboard too much and you can just see the top of my (slightly thinning) head, or I know a piece well, and kind of end up looking around, staring at the ceiling, boredly gazing into the middle distance etc.

Some people make videos and just look inherently cool. Is that a gift? I realise that you could just crop your head out of the shot, but I think that videos are so much more interesting generally when you can actually see the person who is playing.

Anyone else have this problem? Who looks super cool in their videos?

I remember in the early days of Youtube, there was this long haired guy who played technically difficult pieces on a twin neck guitar tapping on both necks. The music was impressive but he kind of looked like he was trying to pass a melon at the same time ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimonhSimonh Frets: 1358
    I would suggest practice, look at any successful channel - of any subject - go back a few years and look at how awkward they seem. it just takes time and practice to make it look effortless and cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18375
    Cat filter?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited March 2021
    Are you on about Michael Angelo Batio? He has never been cool in any interpretation of the word! I guarantee you're not anywhere near as lame as his 2 neck guitar bollocks.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    I know exactly what you mean.....I look like a bobble head often, I mostly resort to editing my head out of videos. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    I think it's important not to care. 

I'm very conscious of presentation on stage, but really don't care what anyone thinks about what I look like in my scruffy broom cupboard unless they start paying me. 

A mate said he'd scrolled through a few videos on my YouTube channel and noticed I'd worn the same shirt in a few videos seven years apart, looking more threadbare each time!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I don't mind how I look but I hate my voice. I have a very strong Portsmouth accent. My videos are teaching videos though so I have to talk and explain things. Still, it's a 3 year plan for me before I expect to be earning from my channel so plenty of time to improve the presentation. 

Making these videos is like when you first do a few gigs. You know there's massive room for improvement but you need to start doing them to improve. There's no substitute for experience 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    The only way to look cool is not to be you*. Either that or be 100% comfortable with who you are. 

All the people you think cool probably think they look like total arses (unless they have huge egos).

It depends what the point of the video is, but ultimately. If you look relaxed, genuine and not too bored, a bunch of other people will think you're cool. You won't, but they will. If you try to be cool, are affected, or look embarrassed to be there, no one will think you look cool. 

*Not you specifically, I mean that very few people think they look cool when watching themselves, because you see all the things you don't like about yourself, but other people don't know or care about. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I just pout and try to look moody :lol: 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Do what Toyah and Fripp do.
    No-one's watching Fripp.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 440
    Whenever I do the occasional video I always position the camera so my head is out of shot. Nobody wants to see that melted welly face staring at them while they're innocently browsing.
    I like to feel I'm doing my bit to make the world a better place.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    There was a Tim Pierce thing where he got told to wear a hat for something that was being filmed because the light was reflecting off his bald spot. So now he wears a cap in all his videos ( although I'm sure he gets people querying why he has a hat on indoors). So that's a tip. 
    My one attempt at making a guitar video ( of sorts) had about ten takes and a struggle not to end up with me rambling nonsense. So, preparation as well I guess. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 943
    I’ve been making videos for about 2 years.

not guitar, face to camera speaking videos.

at first I was so self conscious and wooden. Being self conscious made me do weird facial expressions and my voice did all kinds of things too.

ive got a lot better at presenting. I’ve also got a lot less self critical.

There are days when I watch myself back and wince but mostly not. People tell me they like the videos and don’t seem to care how I am.

I suspect that you care more about your appearance and presentation skills than other people do too.
  • I've been filming little instagram clips of songs I would have been doing with learners had it not been for the lockdown. Just short 60 seconds snippets of a part in a song. When I first started I wasn't paying much attention to angles, lighting and what I'm wearing etc. I've tidied those up a bit but they're just short clips. I try not to pay attention to the fact the camera is recording and just play naturally as I can, after its a live take. Been doing this for about a year and just gotten used to doing it.