The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    edited March 2021
    Seal Team - great fun about the US special operators. Good action and Drama. Sky.

S.W.A.T -  drama about an LA Swat team. Crap. Sky.

Inside The Tower of London - Documentary series about the Tower of London. Interesting stuff. Brit Box.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    New Amsterdam S3 has just started in the US. I love my VPN and my american friends.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I haven't felt like watching any drama recently so I've been watching Would I Lie To You? and Richard Osman's House of Games on iPlayer.  And old episodes of Tenable on ITV Hub.

I love game shows, so I thought I would give Gordon Ramsay's Bank Balance a go, even though I hate the leathery-faced, humourless bully...

Big mistake.  It's absolutely unbearable.  The game is shit, a thinly disguised version of The Million Pound Drop.  It's one of those shows where they encourage the contestants to babble incessantly, as if they're minor celebrities, but nobody's interested.  And Ramsay is his usual vile self.  Never, never again. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Started on The Valhalla Murders on Netflix. Given how small the population of Iceland is you’d think they’d know who the serial killer was pretty quickly. The character names are great, no one bats an eye in Iceland if your name is Thor. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Started on The Valhalla Murders on Netflix. Given how small the population of Iceland is you’d think they’d know who the serial killer was pretty quickly. The character names are great, no one bats an eye in Iceland if your name is Thor. 

I’m Thor! 

Tho am I. It wath good fun though wathn’t it? 

Yeah I know. 
    Coat. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Philly_Q said:

I haven't felt like watching any drama recently so I've been watching Would I Lie To You? and Richard Osman's House of Games on iPlayer.  And old episodes of Tenable on ITV Hub.

I love game shows, so I thought I would give Gordon Ramsay's Bank Balance a go, even though I hate the leathery-faced, humourless bully...

Big mistake.  It's absolutely unbearable.  The game is shit, a thinly disguised version of The Million Pound Drop.  It's one of those shows where they encourage the contestants to babble incessantly, as if they're minor celebrities, but nobody's interested.  And Ramsay is his usual vile self.  Never, never again. 

@Philly_Q - yeah, but the comedy!   2 pilots playing last night, needed 2 answers for African countries beginning with a vowel. 

After a few seconds they got Uganda, then couldn't think of a second one.  One suggested "Mozambique?"...

Eventually they hit upon Egypt, but had left it too late so got timed out.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18378

Used to know a bloke named Odin... for real.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Nitefly said:
    Philly_Q said:

@Philly_Q - yeah, but the comedy!   2 pilots playing last night, needed 2 answers for African countries beginning with a vowel. 

After a few seconds they got Uganda, then couldn't think of a second one.  One suggested "Mozambique?"...

Eventually they hit upon Egypt, but had left it too late so got timed out.

@Nitefly ; Aaargh, now I'm tempted to give it another go!  Maybe I'll get drunk first, to desensitise myself...
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    edited March 2021
    Mrs Neill and I will watch pretty much anything to do with railways.  Especially like Rob Bell's disused railway walks programme and Tim Dunn's "The Architecture the Railways Built".  Apart from railways, the common denominator is that both presenters are enthusiasts, not celebrities, so you engage with them in a totally different way than if it's say Tony Robinson or Joanna Lumley (who seems to be everywhere these days).   However interesting the subject might be, I am usually turned off if the presenter is a celeb.

Remember Alan Partridge's ridiculous pitch to the TV exec "Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank"?  I'm waiting for that to become reality it's only a matter of time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Ridiculously late to the party but missus Munckee, miss Munckee and I have watched all 8 million series of line of duty since Christmas. About as good as tv gets I think. 
    @munckee it's superb isn't it. New season this month I think?
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4083
    Well since my Seinfeld has finished I have had to fall back to watching  King of Queens  with Kevin James  ,still get to see Jerry stiller’s crazy antics though as he is Carries Dad.
    its a nice way to end the evening and wind down , not as farcical as Seinfeld though 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229
    edited March 2021

Started on The Good Lord Bird on Sky Atlantic this week. Ethan Hawke plays John Brown during the run up to the American Civil War.

Four episodes in so far and really enjoying it. Hawkes totally hams it up but in a really good way. Very funny in parts, and everyone looks like they're having such a brilliant time filming it which only adds to the fun.

Recommended. 

Will be starting on Your Honor staring Bryan Cranston, also on Sky Atlantic next.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Just finished watching ZeroZeroZero this evening. NO SPOILERS  - I was a little wary after the first couple of episodes because I just wasn't empathising with any of the characters, but I stuck with it and as i got into it I did want to know how the storyarc would pan out. There was a storyline in the middle that I thought was unnecessary and made things drag a bit, but the last two episodes (7 & 8) were really good. Special mentions for Andrea Riseborough and Harold Torres, both of whom I thought were teriffic in their roles.

Warning - some of the violent scenes in the show are quite graphic. I didn't think they were gratuitous - the incredible brutality and human cost of drug dealing is, after all, the point of the story - but they aren't easy watching.
    Resident Alien on Sky. The first two episodes were quite good. Alien crashes on earth and has to pretend to be a doctor.
    Interesting mix of sinister and humour. His first day at work was a particular highlight.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I really enjoyed Deutschland 83 when I saw it a few years ago and the sequel Deutschland 86 wasn’t bad. Just realised Deutschland 89 is on the 4 Player so I’ll see how I get on. Bit of East German spy intrigue, some 80s music, all good. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4083
    ennspek said:
    Resident Alien on Sky. The first two episodes were quite good. Alien crashes on earth and has to pretend to be a doctor.
    Interesting mix of sinister and humour. His first day at work was a particular highlight.
    That sounds great ,I must remember to look it up
  • Zerozerozero 

Devils 

Behind Her Eyes

Are what I've enjoyed over the last month 
    Final Space + Netflix. Animated sci-fi, I've only watched the first episode but quite funny.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    ennspek said:
    That sounds great ,I must remember to look it up

I've been watching that - it's got that quirky Canadian humour about it.

I've also been watching Private Eyes, which also has that undercurrent and makes me chuckle sometimes; on the flipside, it could be a bit too twee for some and the them tune is awful.