Wifi Network assistance required!

jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
Afternoon all, 

I'm experiencing issues where my MacBook wifi is dropping every so often (I've run a ping test and seems to be sporadic but there are definitely timeouts in there and there are some instances where the ping time is very high (200+ ms and in some instances 1100+ms!)

I've just run a ping test on my iPhone using a ping app and getting no timeouts at all. Sure some of the ping times are higher, but nothing like from my MacBook. Both devices are next to each other

I'm connecting to a dedicated WiFi Router (Apple AirPort Extreme, thanks @wibble :) ), so I'm not sure why I'm experiencing drop outs on my Mac specifically? Would it be anything obvious I can check? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18726
    edited March 2021
    Have you tried 'WiFi Signal' (App Store) or Netspot (free version) https://www.netspotapp.com/netspotpro.html
    Good free tools that let you see what is going on with signal strength etc.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24291
    edited March 2021
    What are you pinging ?  Set off a simultaneous ping test on your phone and your computer to the same address...  8.8.8.8 will do or anything really.  Do you see a difference in the ping times.  Also.... If your Wi-Fi is dual-band, do you know which band(s) your phone and computer are using ?  Are they both on 5GHz, both on 2.4GHz or one on either ?

(in addition to what Kittyfrisk said above).
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • stratologystratology Frets: 181
    edited March 2021
    You can use a Wifi app like Wifi Scanner to see if other Wifi routers are nearby, and on which channel they are transmitting.

If you have a router nearby transmitting on channel 1 (2.4GHz), you can set the AirPort Extreme to transmit on the opposite side of the spectrum, like channel 10 or similar. Experimenting with channels, rather than leaving channel selection on 'automatic', can help with interference issues.

More ways to deal with interference here.

Placing a router up high, like on a book shelf, may also result in better transmission across a house of flat than placing it 'low' - like on the ground, under a table.

You can also set the AirPort Extreme so that it uses different names for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, so they show up as different networks that don't switch automatically. 5GHz is the better option if you are in the same room as the router, 2.4GHz is the better option if the router is at the opposite side of the house.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    For a fair test, don't forget to turn off mobile data on your phone, otherwise you can't be sure which route it's taking.