Sell Tesla?

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited March 2021
    wow

Tesla is 33% down in 5 weeks, that's pretty serious
    Yep. Although there is a general market wide sell-off in growth stocks in progress at present, Tesla has been hit harder than most. Baillie Gifford and a few other institutional investors have sold off significant amounts recently to lock in profits. I wonder how the Robin Hood brigade that brought in at high prices last year are feeling now? It's easy to hold a stock that’s rising but your convictions and rationale for buying and holding it are given a thorough examination when it declines. That sinking feeling can trigger a powerful emotional response.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I'm doing a chip that's going in most new EVs... super interesting. 

Buy Supply@Me... massive potential there. I expect a 100-bagger over 3-5 years. 
    what can you tell us about Supply@Me.?
    I can tell you the shares are under temporary suspension 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    wow

Yep. Although there is a general market wide sell-off in growth stocks in progress at present, Tesla has been hit harder than most. Baillie Gifford and a few other institutional investors have sold off significant amounts recently to lock in profits. I wonder how the Robin Hood brigade that brought in at high prices last year are feeling now? It's easy to hold a stock that’s rising but your convictions and rationale for buying and holding it are given a thorough examination when it declines. That sinking feeling can trigger a powerful emotional response.

Have you seen the psychology the WSB guys promote? e.g. "Diamond-hands"?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11799
    Long Term Index Fund...that's my plan and i am sticking to it.

Have you seen the psychology the WSB guys promote? e.g. "Diamond-hands"?
    No! I had to look it up, I feel like a right 'boomer.

https://seekingalpha.com/instablog/1046492-markus-heitkoetter/5551655-paper-hands-vs-diamond-hands-boomer-s-guide-to-wallstreetbets-lingo

wow

btw my long-term investor expert mate told me 3 or 4 weeks ago that the increasing 10 year treasury note prices were going to cause a drop in the US markets

it's worth reading up on that stuff, Cramer mentions it
    Nothing wrong with that Raymond. "Don't just do something...stand there"

As Warren Buffet once calculated if he had invested $10,000 in an S&P500 Index Fund (although they didn't exist at the time) in 1941, when he started investing and just left it, it would be worth $53,000,000 now. No trading, no spending hours researching companies, no worrying about the news, or the economy, just left it.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11799
    edited March 2021

As Warren Buffet once calculated if he had invested $10,000 in an S&P500 Index Fund (although they didn't exist at the time) in 1941, when he started investing and just left it, it would be worth $53,000,000 now. No trading, no spending hours researching companies, no worrying about the news, or the economy, just left it.
    I tried day trade Crypto yesterday (I made 20% gain in the week prior), I only put in like £500 to for fun, I pretty much lost 3/4 of all the gains I made in a day from trying to time to market.  Although pretty much all the crypto went south yesterday across the board so I am not sure I would have done any better had it left it either.

But that's crypto for you more than anything else.

I tried day trade Crypto yesterday (I made 20% gain in the week prior), I only put in like £500 to for fun, I pretty much lost 3/4 of all the gains I made in a day from trying to time to market.  Although pretty much all the crypto went south yesterday across the board so I am not sure I would have done any better had it left it either.

But that's crypto for you more than anything else.
    crypto price moves are much less predictable than S&P, FTSE, etc
  • Half of my isa is in an active Baillie Gifford fund which is being hammered and the other half is in a Blackrock passive fund, which is being affected also.

Luckily I was not intending to sell anytime soon, but this is reassuring to me in a way - putting all eggs into one basket is risky. My funds are already pretty risky, but are managed by people who have a greater understand of this world than I. 

Tesla down another 6% in today's trading so far. I wonder if Cathy Wood will buy some more?

If Tesla is going to the moon, the moon must be below us!

It's more like Tes-tanic at the minute.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11410
    edited March 2021
    Rockets blowing up probably doesn't help the perception of the company.

Or is Space X a separate entity?
    crunchman said:

Space X is separate and privately funded with no shortage of ability to raise capital. There is talk of spinning off Starlink as a separate company in an IPO at some point.

crunchman said:

Tesla stock is falling because it is caught up in what appears to be a current market correction, or getting close to one and it has been hugely over valued, the price can revert to something far more sensible but has a way to drop yet before it is considered fair value by traditional share price measures.

It's now down 11% today, price could go as low as $250 and still be overvalued, that's another 50% down from current.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5372
    I just started a year ago and both my Baillie Gifford funds are around 25% up. They dropped dramatically into a loss a couple of months ago after the Tesla wobble but have recovered. I have other funds which have been losing for months but slowly getting back towards zero but which I bought with a long term outlook in mind anyway so happy to sit on them.
    I shoved a pile in to EasyJet shares during lockdown, again with the long game in mind so gonna have to ride that one out.
    But overall my portfolio is currently 12% up after a year so I am not complaining. Better than any bank.
    review of a competitor 

edited October 2021
    With Tesla stock price having settled into a steady, less volatile gradual incline since May, on the back of improving quarter on quarter sales it appears many of the short sellers have given up betting against the stock:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-04/tesla-short-sellers-flee-as-musk-s-carmaker-sets-delivery-record

Berlin giga-factory is set for final regulatory approvals in November so a European built Model Y could be available next year, it will be interesting to see how it's priced.

I certainly notice many more Teslas on the local roads this year.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    review of a competitor 

That’s interesting isn't it? As EVs fill the UK roads more the battery recharging issue will become an increasing concern. I saw a video the other day where a Tesla owner was bemoaning the lack of Tesla fast chargers in Los Angeles, she demonstrated having to wait over an hour to queue and then get charged in the US state with the highest Tesla sales which highlights that the charging network needs to keep up with the volume of cars on the road.

The Nio battery swap looks a little clunky and is obviously specific to Nio at present but if enough global manufacturers could agree on standard batteries and mounting you can see how a battery station could replace fuel stations as a concept.

My preference is still home charging but a battery swap every year or 2 as battery health declines would be good and also having a battery swap station available for long journeys would be handy.

• Swapping batteries constantly would also allow for identifying batteries that are wearing out, developing faults etc before they become problematic, as well as potentially making the recharging process take a similar amount of time as refuelling.