Any electricians on here - question about showers

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
Quick question about my electric shower for any sparkies out there.

The pull chord on our shower has failed (again).

We've had problems with it since we moved into our house - it used to break due to over-heating. We initially changed the shower down from a 9kW to a 8.5kW one and it hasn't failed for a couple of years.

The current switch is rated at 45 amps - if I fit a 50 amp switch will it be safe and less likely to fail?
Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    45amp switch is more than enough to cope with 8.5kw, it shouldn’t be overheating. Is it a decent make? I always use MK stuff, there’s an awful lot of cheap crap around.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    Not sure what the make is of the current one.

I can only find a 50 amp MK one: https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-50a-1-way-pull-cord-switch-white/12094

There's a 45 amp British General one: https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-45a-1-way-pull-cord-switch-white/65167

Is that any good?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    @boogieman is right, so much cheap shit that breaks easy now, I might buy the odd cheap 4 way but I always go for a decent brand for switchs and roses and pulls 

I use CPC for all the electrical stuff I buy rather than screwfix 

https://cpc.farnell.com/volex-accessories/gb6-vx9706/50a-ceiling-swneon/dp/PL12817

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1910
    Seconded regarding using MK stuff. The problem you may have it the power cable supplying your shower. The fuse is not there to protect your shower. It is there to protect the cable. If it is running in a conduit it can take a higher current than if it's plastered into the wall or the run is too long or both. Does the shower switch conk out when you are running the shower at full chat? If so just back it off a bit. If you put a bigger fuse in then it could cause the power cable to overheat and burn your guitars. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• russpmrusspm Frets: 436
    edited March 2021
    MK all the way, avoid the cheap stuff.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    Thanks very much chaps - there's no issue with the shower affecting any other electrics when it's on.

I'll definitely stick with a 45 amp switch, can't find a MK one though - are there any other makes to consider?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    longjaw said:
    Thanks very much chaps - there's no issue with the shower affecting any other electrics when it's on.

I'll definitely stick with a 45 amp switch, can't find a MK one though - are there any other makes to consider?
    Get this-
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-50a-1-way-pull-cord-switch-white/12094?tc=FA7&ds_kid=92700055281954484&ds_rl=1249401&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyoeCBhCTARIsAOfpKxh452RLarKVT7oPtmbZ-mA_9KgjTmX3Z3r8FdEdqznkXceFKg9pTjgaAipSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    A 50A switch just gives you a slightly higher safety margin than a 45A one, there's no reason to use a 45A if there's a better quality 50A one available.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    45A switch will be fine, but even with this the cables can be tricky to get onto the terminals, make sure the cables come in through the back in the right orientation same as the connections, then they should juts slip right it, also make sure terms are tight....loose connections are the biggest cause of accessory failures....oh...and fires ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Never really given this much thought, but I just leave our shower pullcord switch on all the time - is this wrong?

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited March 2021
    Nitefly said:
    Never really given this much thought, but I just leave our shower pullcord switch on all the time - is this wrong?

I've being doing this for 26 years without any problems. 

My electric showers have all been Triton 10.5kW models which have three switch on buttons for hot, tepid, and cold water, together with a temperature control knob and a separate stop button.

I understand that the unit may have a longer life if it isn't switched on/off everyday. 

I need to open the pull-cord ceiling rose to check the name of the manufacturer. However, the other switches in the flat are all MK branded, so I expect the shower ceiling rose switch is also made by MK.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Nitefly said:

I've started doing this about a year ago as I got fed up of replacing switches (even the MK ones).

I was brought up to always switch things off so it went against the grain a bit, but it's the constant switching which causes the arcing and burning of contacts.

I shortened the string pull as well, because I was alone in the house one day having a shower when someone switched it off, almost giving me a heart attack. 
    I yanked the curtain to one side and the cat was hanging off the string by his claws, his hilarious new game. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    We have electric shower and I leave the switch on all the time.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    We leave ours on all the time. The switch in the actual shower unit is designed to use constantly so I don’t see any need to turn off the ceiling switch, unless the unit needs maintenance or replacement. 
    It’s an isolator really so no need to switch off in between uses
    It's an additional safety switch which guards against the thing turning into a kettle if it leaks internally. If I was going on holiday I would turn it off, but not everyday. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I always turn the water off when I go on holiday.
    Hmmmmm holidays, what are those??
    From an electrical publication-
    That isolator is only there so that the electrical supply to the shower can be locally isolated should maintenance be required; you don't need to clonk it off every time you hang up the loofah and reach for the towel. In most cases, when you turn off the shower it isn't consuming any electrical current.
    russpm said:
    I always turn the water off when I go on holiday.

I can remember my parents doing that, but I’ve never bothered. 

My mum still turns the tv off at the wall at night and even unplugs it. I guess it’s a hangover from the early valve TV sets that could possibly overheat.