Modmins and Community - should we have a Wanted Section in classifieds?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hoopshoops Frets: 223
    Vote yes from me, there seem to be more and more WTB ads. I find it quite annoying, you see something that might interest you and then see WTB.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23923
    Yes.

It works well on Basschat.

Only 1 rule really there - no trade ads at all in that section. Wanted ads are for money only. Stops the "I want A and I'll give you B for it" crap.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Sounds like a good idea and @fretmeister's suggestion of no trades makes sense too, as does @richardhomer's of stating a max price. As long as it doesn't cause the mods extra work then it makes good sense.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    No firm opinions on this, but I had noticed the increasing prevalence of WTB posts.  Why is this?  Initially I thought it just bedroom dealers sharking for cheap stock, but that’s not the case.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    I'd have thought that WTB's will lose what little efficacy they had by lumping them in their own section....but tbh I violently couldn't care less about this. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Yes.

It works well on Basschat.

Only 1 rule really there - no trade ads at all in that section. Wanted ads are for money only. Stops the "I want A and I'll give you B for it" crap.
    This makes sense, I’d be in favour of it using this rule, plus the max price thing makes sense.

If I saw a WTB ad for an item of mine I hadn’t prepared to sell I’d want to know it was worth my time taking detailed photos etc before being told they’d rather trade 6 things I don’t want for it, or a lowball price where I’d rather keep it
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    JezWynd said:
    Sounds like a good idea and @fretmeister's suggestion of no trades makes sense too, as does @richardhomer's of stating a max price. As long as it doesn't cause the mods extra work then it makes good sense.
    There’s a second rule on basschat - no replies in thread to WTB ads.. PM only
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    Cols said:
    No firm opinions on this, but I had noticed the increasing prevalence of WTB posts.  Why is this?  Initially I thought it just bedroom dealers sharking for cheap stock, but that’s not the case.
    Scarcity of supply, I'd wager.  

Or, at least, scarcity of supply at asking prices that aren't utterly Hornchurch.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I reckon people have more time on their hands to think about stuff they’d like to own, but aren’t in a rush to need it immediately. Also there are a bunch of items out of stock at shops too
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    JezWynd said:
    There’s a second rule on basschat - no replies in thread to WTB ads.. PM only
    I have suggested in the past that all ads, technology permitting, should be singleton posts: editable by the OP/ admin but you can't reply other than by PM. As modmin time seems to be often taken up with people arguing within classifieds it seemed like a good idea to me. It would mean you can't bump any ad but on the other hand it would stop bumping of ads cluttering up Recent Discussions.   

And a No from me on WTB as that would mean another 9 subsections and the FT ads won't have a home. 

I think the classifieds are an important part of TheFB in terms of attracting new members and providing a service to existing ones but this should still look like a forum with ads and not eBay.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    ESBlonde said:
    There is the question of extra modmin time moving ads to the correct sub section. Are users not capable of using the search facilities? Que a raft of posts about shouldn't this be over there?
    Remember this is a free facility with a classified added on. It's not a classified that raises funds to feed the admin costs!

That's my £0.02
    Tin hat at the ready.

Don't you mean £-/-/2d....................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    Sounds like a good idea to me, Might it be possible to allow users to block sections of the forums via an ignore type list in their profiles? this is part of some pc tech forums im on and allows me to condense the main page into only what im interested in reading about without having to adblock div's.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Gizmo said:
    Sounds like a good idea to me, Might it be possible to allow users to block sections of the forums via an ignore type list in their profiles? this is part of some pc tech forums im on and allows me to condense the main page into only what im interested in reading about without having to adblock div's.
    You means this? https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/202094/setting-your-viewing-preferences
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Seems unnecessary
    Red ones are better. 
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Gassage said:
    Just browsing the classified and on FX alone, 16 of the the ads in page 1 of my feed were WTB ads.

Is it time that we perhaps have a sep WTB for each of the main catagories, just to help those seeking or those seeking a buyer, to find all in one place?

I think it would make it easier for both parties.

Thoughts?
    A yes from me
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    If we do do this, can I suggest the buyer has to quote a maximum budget, given that a seller is mandated to quote a price?

Hopefully that will dissuade bargain hunters - or at least make it clear who they are.

I am not against bargain hunters if they have been here forever and they are actually chatting about guitars/music etc.
    It is "kind of" a community, and if someone says "Guys....I am skint. Has anybody got a neck humbucker that is cheap, or even less?" I think we should help, if we can.  Maybe.

On the main question, I am swayed by the argument that more people see WTB ads with the current arrangement, and then think - Oh, I have one of those somewhere.

• Philtre said:
    WTB: a pirate memory game suitable for children of between 4 and 8. But not too piratey.
    @Philtre , ;

You can thank me later. 

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 10 August 2017

I bought this memory game as Margaret said it was suitable for ages 4-8. I didn't find it too piratey at all. The children (ages 4-8) are enjoying it very much! Thank you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R2UB14XJU01ZKR/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01DKD198U

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    edited March 2021
    @Handsome_Chris Is there a version without a parrot? I don't like games with parrots in.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Skipped said:
    If we do do this, can I suggest the buyer has to quote a maximum budget, given that a seller is mandated to quote a price?

Hopefully that will dissuade bargain hunters - or at least make it clear who they are.

I am not against bargain hunters if they have been here forever and they are actually chatting about guitars/music etc.
    It is "kind of" a community, and if someone says "Guys....I am skint. Has anybody got a neck humbucker that is cheap, or even less?" I think we should help, if we can.  Maybe.

On the main question, I am swayed by the argument that more people see WTB ads with the current arrangement, and then think - Oh, I have one of those somewhere.
    I have no problem with someone who’s short of money asking for some help - it’s the people who wants to buy something specific who when contacted want to pay way below the figure you’ve suggested. 

The idea of stating a maximum budget is you a least know roughly what the person is looking to pay. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Philtre said:
    WTB: a pirate memory game suitable for children of between 4 and 8. But not too piratey.
    @Philtre , ;

You can thank me later. 

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 10 August 2017

I bought this memory game as Margaret said it was suitable for ages 4-8. I didn't find it too piratey at all. The children (ages 4-8) are enjoying it very much! Thank you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R2UB14XJU01ZKR/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01DKD198U

Does this play like butt-arrrrrrrrrrr?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom