What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2261
    Empire of the Sun

i didn’t see this when it was released. Watched it by myself last Friday night (it’s 140 mins long so a late one). Superb old school grand scale epic. Real vintage aircraft and crowd scenes no CGI. Brilliant performance by a young teen Christian Bale. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    edited March 2021
    We watched "Seconds" with Rock Hudson last night. 
    A strange somewhat dystopia sci-fi thing with plastic surgery, fake deaths and lots of naked people in a grape treading vat treading grapes. This was made in 1966 and may have been quite outrageous at the time but we found it a little dull and stilted. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    edited March 2021
    "Mauritianian" (2021)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_mauritanian

Based on true events - story of a Gauntanamo prisoner post 9/11. 

Good acting - with Jodie Foster in it, and well shot.

Recommended. 

7.125/10
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2261
    Apocalypse Now (final cut)

Just watched again. Still superb though the synths on the score do annoy. 

It’s on iPlayer 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    Iron Sky - The Coming Race  ,    Pretty hopeless ,some fun moments but not as good as the first Iron Sky. (prime)

Space Sweepers - Korean Space romp ,  Complete nonsense , it looks great but felt like it was written by a 12 year old.(netflix)

The Favourite - Not sure what to make of this. The performances were great but no where near as funny as I was expecting. Slightly disappointing. (Star/Disney+)
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    Iron Sky - The Coming Race  ,    Pretty hopeless ,some fun moments but not as good as the first Iron Sky. (prime)

I’d never heard that was out.

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    Brio said:

I’d never heard that was out.

It came out a couple of years ago. Don't think it made it to Cineworld  =)

There's a third installment on its way soon !
    Nooooooooooo!
    edited March 2021
    Cosmic Sin with Bruce Willis and Frank Grillo.
    Seven rogue soldiers launch a preemptive strike against a newly discovered alien civilization in the hopes of ending an interstellar war before it starts.

One of the worst films I have ever seen. IMDB gives it 2.5/10. Even the abysmal Breach - also SciFi starring Bruce- managed a trashy 3.8/10
    2 comments from their user reviews section: 

Bruce Willis stopped telegraphing his acting for this film. He just didn't act at all. I mean, it looked like he was between high and mentally disabled. I worry about the dude. 

But what makes this film shine like a black hole is the story. It felt more than devoid of passion, like a spreadsheet that sucks one's soul away in the accounting department on a hot day after the air conditioning died.

First,I adore sci-fi. And am willing to overlook A LOT. But this piece of.... What the heck where they thinking. The writing and scenes/environment are so sooo bad its just too distracting. I still (skipped after a point) to the end but this is one of the worst sci-fi movies I have EVER seen. This is supposed to be happening in 2500s . And sci-fi is usually written by guys/gals who like the genre right? So you'd assume they're not dumb, this is genre for tech/gadget/future visions loving people/thinkers. First of all, its all happening in a city like today. Petrol cars, grunge plaid shirts wearing, beer drinking dudes everywhere and every single piece of the environment they are in is from like 2005. NOTHING is advanced anywhere except a CGI spaceship here and there. Everyone still uses regular guns with bullets propelled by gun powder and use petrol. They still use incandecent lightbulbs. Even we in Europe dont use them anymore, they dont even sell them anymore by law. TODAY.

Or landing with a spaceship on a foreign planet and then they pitch up A TENT. A TENT!!! In 2500s and not a fancy,sci-fi redesigned/decorated for the movie to look special, hi-tech tent. Nah-ha. An obviously locally bought, regular, simple tent with old regular folding chairs and tables. They didnt even try to make anything look advanced.

Also everything from clothing,storage boxes, various military tools, every piece of housing is from 2000s. You might think (for a milisecond), how about Firefly, combo of Wild West and space. Not even close,that beautiful show was an intelligent combination,smartly done,with foundations explaining everything. Insulting to even be considered in regards to this disaster.

The story. Lets not even get there. The (IMO) very interesting plot summary that draws your interest to watch it is 100% misleading. Its so boring and slow it stops drawing your interest after 15 minutes. In then end its just confusing and silly. Never mind again, that so so many things just dont make sense or are ignored. I do not know how such a thing can get approved. It is so bad. And Bruce. What the heck. De Niro at least sold his soul for comedies that work in 50%. But Bruce lately... this movie isnt worth the few cents of material that the medium it is recorded on. Dont watch.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Brio said:
    Cosmic Sin with Bruce Willis and Frank Grillo.
    Seven rogue soldiers launch a preemptive strike against a newly discovered alien civilization in the hopes of ending an interstellar war before it starts.

One of the worst films I have ever seen. IMDB gives it 2.5/10. Even the abysmal Breach - also SciFi starring Bruce- managed a trashy 3.8/10

Funnily enough, I was reading a review of another film with Willis and Grillo a couple of days ago - I think it was Reprisal (2018).

Apparently in the DVD extras Grillo is openly contemptuous of the script.  And (of course) Willis seems to have it written into his contract that he doesn't have to do any interviews for all these shoddy just-turn-up-and-collect-the-paycheck films he's doing nowadays.

I'm a bit sorry to see Frank Grillo doing these shitty films, I like him as an actor.  I guess everyone needs to put food on the table.

I'm a bit sorry to see Frank Grillo doing these shitty films, I like him as an actor. 

Don't worry, the excellent Boss Level is streaming on Hulu from today. The best film I've seen in the last year. Like a slightly different take on Edge of Tomorrow with hunour.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Torque

I thought I’d rewatch it to see if it’s as bad as I remember....

Yep!

-10/10
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3491
    Grosse Pointe Blank. Nostalgic indulgence.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Greatape said:
    Grosse Pointe Blank. Nostalgic indulgence.
    One of my all time favourite films. One of my band ideas to be Grosse Point Band and only play songs off the soundtrack ( which I think would include Guns n Roses and The Clash and The Specials and Aha...).
    On Disney+ by the look of it. Excellent.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
    Haych said:
    The Notebook

Romantic drama based on a Nicholas Sparks book. It was Mrs Haych’s turn to choose the movie tonight, she likes his books so wanted to see how the film compares to the novel. 

Not bad in all honesty. 

Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams take the leads as young lovers before, during and after WWII America. 

Typical kind of thing really, they fall in love, break up, lose touch, she finds somebody else and then they get back together again. 

It flits between then and now as the older Ryan Gosling, played by James Garner, reads their life story to his sick wife. 

For all its syrupy romance, it’s predictability from the outset and the fact that nothing really happens, it’s a pretty decent movie. 

7/10 - on Netflix in case anyone wants to see it. 

Slightly embarrassed to admit, but yes I also really enjoyed this film when I saw it.

Ryan Gosling is very watchable, and the story is quite engaging. 

Probably best watched on a Sunday !
    Farewell My Lovely - 1975

Surprisingly good adaptation of the Raymond Chandler classic. Robert Mitchum plays Marlowe in a drier more distant fashion compared to Humphrey Bogart - and the film has a dirty grit that I thought quite original.

Charlotte Rampling is icily sexy, and Harry Dean Stanton playing clean cut !

On the classy Talking Pictures channel.

8/10
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    Coming 2 America on Prime.

After 15 minutes I said to my wife ‘this is a 9 out of 10 film already , I can’t believe it got such bad reviews ‘

It went downhill rapidly from there but still ended up a solid 6 as far as an easy to watch film with the kids.

Wesley Snipes is very good in it
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649

Surprisingly good adaptation of the Raymond Chandler classic. Robert Mitchum plays Marlowe in a drier more distant fashion compared to Humphrey Bogart - and the film has a dirty grit that I thought quite original.

8/10
    Wis for this - Robert Mitchum is a walking Chandler character par excellence

8/10

He was very good - and refreshing to move away from the Bogart stereotype.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649

8/10

He was very good - and refreshing to move away from the Bogart stereotype.

If you haven't already seen it, check him out in Night of the Hunter directed by Charles Laughton - he's wonderful in that.