What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5614
    Black Sheep

New Zealand comedy horror that I’ve wanted to see for a while. It was £1.99 to buy on iTunes so thought why not. 

Fairly thin plot of genetically modified sheep  on a massive sheep farm that get out and spread/become flesh eating. 

Some rather grim gore and far too few laughs which is a shame as it could have been a lot funnier and a lot better. 

Quite disappointing, can’t give it more than 5/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Haych said:
    Black Sheep

New Zealand comedy horror that I’ve wanted to see for a while. It was £1.99 to buy on iTunes so thought why not. 

Fairly thin plot of genetically modified sheep  on a massive sheep farm that get out and spread/become flesh eating. 

Some rather grim gore and far too few laughs which is a shame as it could have been a lot funnier and a lot better. 

If you think that was bad, try this film!

https://youtu.be/0pIfFNbm2bk

WARNING: A little bit of swearing in the trailer.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I bought a vampire motorcycle

An absolute cult classic for me, probably not most people’s cup of tea but I think it’s great.

I haven’t seen it for a while but thought I’d share a little clip...

10/10

https://youtu.be/HalD12wJ2_s
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Grizzly Man (on prime). 

I’ve seen it before and it’s one of those films that I think about quite regularly. 

Amazing, tragic tale....and a great Richard Thompson soundtrack. 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    Farewell My Lovely - 1975

Surprisingly good adaptation of the Raymond Chandler classic. Robert Mitchum plays Marlowe in a drier more distant fashion compared to Humphrey Bogart - and the film has a dirty grit that I thought quite original.

Charlotte Rampling is icily sexy, and Harry Dean Stanton playing clean cut !

On the classy Talking Pictures channel.

8/10
    Wis for this - Robert Mitchum is a walking Chandler character par excellence

He was very good - and refreshing to move away from the Bogart stereotype.

If you haven't already seen it, check him out in Night of the Hunter directed by Charles Laughton - he's wonderful in that.
    ‘Oh Children...’

Yes, very good call - possibly the most sinister film of its era. Another classic that I haven’t seen for circa 30 years.

Will check the schedules to see if it is available.
    zepp76 said:
    Haych said:
    Black Sheep

If you think that was bad, try this film!

https://youtu.be/0pIfFNbm2bk

WARNING: A little bit of swearing in the trailer.
    Thanks, I think I’ll add it to the list of what not to watch. 

Casablanca - 1942

What to say - It is pure genius. Still amazing to watch it (again and again). The plot, script, performances and atmosphere is sheer class.

10/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    Sympathy For The Devil

Jean-Luc Godard and the Rolling Stones 1968 music/film collaboration.

It’s both fascinating and infuriating at the same time - or mostly, alternating. The studio footage of the Stones working on the song is incredible, it’s largely unedited for long periods and full of amazing detail about how they worked and what they used, although a bit disjointed in parts. The interposed film sections are utter bollocks that just drag on interminably and painfully. Perhaps of some historical interest as an illustration of how pretentiously shit ‘art’ film-making could be in the 1960s, but really just very annoying. I nearly gave up a few times but forced myself to not skip them just to get the full experience...

Stones bits - 9/10
    Godard bits - 2/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22705
    Coming 2 America

I've been reading extremely mixed reviews of this, so when I saw it was free on Amazon Prime I thought rather than just assuming it's terrible rubbish, I might as well confirm it's terrible rubbish.

It's terrible rubbish.

That said, I couldn't say I absolutely hated it.... it's essentially a fairly family-friendly, soppy, romantic fairytale with some pop culture references.  Like a Shrek film only not as funny.
    Back to the Future (again)

Has to be in my top five list of all time great films. Not sure what the other four are but Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid also has to be in there and probably Spaceballs too. 

I’m sure nobody needs a synopsis on BttF, just a brilliant and timeless film (no pun intended)

10/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    As Good As It Gets

A curious film that is still baffling me. Jack Nicholson playing to type, with competition from Helen Hunt and a decent supporting cast.

It’s a romantic comedy with a deeper commentary on personal issues and society’s interaction.

Quite watchable, but slightly dissatisfying.

6/10
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    edited March 2021
    rze99 said:
    Empire of the Sun

i didn’t see this when it was released. Watched it by myself last Friday night (it’s 140 mins long so a late one). Superb old school grand scale epic. Real vintage aircraft and crowd scenes no CGI. Brilliant performance by a young teen Christian Bale. 
    Excellent film, albeit one Spielberg never really mentions and I sense that he’s somehow not ‘cool’ with it. The ‘Cadillac of the Skies’ sequence Is IMHO one of those perfect cinematic moments.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Margin Call - 2011

Very atmospheric film about the seedy and greedy world of investment banking.

Exceptionally watchable with a great cast (Paul Bettany, Kevin Spacey, Demi Moore, Zachary Quinto, Stanley Tucci and Jeremy Irons - all playing down for the camera - marvellously understated).

Lots of silence and high contrast photography - a great film, and completely vacuous. Rather like banking I suppose.

8/10
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    edited March 2021
    Coming 2 America

On Prime.

Probably works better if you’ve seen the original ( and a couple of other Murphy movies at least) but that was sooo much better than I thought it was going to be. No wasted space, hardly a line that wasn’t a joke/ in joke, loads of cameos ( some of whom I recognised), loads of music and dance, Wesley Snipes is a revelation. I thought it might be painfully ‘woke’ but that wasn’t over done. 
    Some slightly shit CGI but it’s a comedy so hey ho. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Coming 2 America

On Prime.

Probably works better if you’ve seen the original ( and a couple of other Murphy movies at least) but that was sooo much better than I thought it was going to be. No wasted space, hardly a line that wasn’t a joke/ in joke, loads of cameos ( some of whom I recognised), loads of music and dance, Wesley Snipes is a revelation. I thought it might be painfully ‘woke’ but that wasn’t over done. 
    Wow, you liked it a lot more than I did!
    Philly_Q said:
    Coming 2 America

On Prime.

Wow, you liked it a lot more than I did!
    Normally I’m very grumpy and don’t like anything. I especially don’t like comedy films most of the time. Perhaps it just caught me at the right moment but I like films that show attention. Full of cross references to the original, to Black Panther, to Trading Places and it had a great pace - if you didn’t like a joke there was another one along ten seconds later. 
    I’m not saying it’s a classic but I enjoyed it quite a lot. 
    edited March 2021
    Thursday

Thomas Jane plays a respectable, married architect whose drug-dealing past catches up with him on one fateful day.  Once I got used to the slightly dated style (I hadn't realised it was made in 1998) I quite enjoyed this black comedy thriller.  There's a bit of an early Tarantino atmosphere, a bit of film noir double-crossing, but it also feels rather like a stage farce as a series of wacky characters turn up at the single main location.  It's very violent and non-PC by today's standards, but worth a watch.  Good cast too.
    I don't know if this counts as a film but I watched the repeat of the documentary about Miss World 1970. Should be on the iPlayer. 
    Entertaining, balanced, thought provoking. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Little Miss Sunshine

Finally saw this for the first time ever on Saturday. Fucking loved it. A nice uncomplicated storyline with enough twists and turns to keep it interesting and a wholesome ending without being too sensitive or mawkish.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10264

During my childhood in the seventies and eighties you wouldn't in a million years ever admit to fancying a redhead, but now I think it's one of the most attractive features a woman can have. I also now prefer the 'fuller figured' lady as apposed to the more boyish figures of yesteryear. 

Laugh, love, live, learn.