Dog prices are insane these days

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
We have been looking on the Pets4Homes site for a few months. The site seems at odds with itself. It is a goldmine of useful advice and information, but their 'estimate' prices for puppies from different breeds seem waaaaaaay off. 

Most that I have looked at are selling for 4+ times their estimates, around £2.5k to £4k for non KC registered pups!

Maybe they haven't updated the info for a decade, or maybe the pandemic has pushed prices right up?? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yep, the reason dog theft is massive at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Yep, the reason dog theft is massive at the moment.
    As well as being an absolutely evil crime, the law is totally insufficient on this at the moment. I heard the other day that a stolen dog is seen the same as something like a stolen mobile in the eyes of the law. That is ridiculous and needs changing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I’m thinking of getting a dog to make my Rolex seem less attractive to muggers....
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    I totally understand having your heart set on a certain dog and it’s always your money and your choice. 

If all you know is that you want the unconditional love and companionship of a four footed friend, please please please look at all the rescues that need a loving home. Then spend the fortune you’ve saved on something nice from a custom shop somewhere. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Rescue or rehome dude...

a lot of folk have gone out and bought pups during lockdown... a lot of those dogs will be given up for rehoming once those divs realise what is involved with having a dog!...

register with all the rescue centres and get something that deserves to have a bit of attention lavished on it for once!...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    They’re in demand because people have more time on their hands what with fur lough and all that. The police should be out there feeling a few more collars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    poopot said:
    Rescue or rehome dude...

a lot of folk have gone out and bought pups during lockdown... a lot of those dogs will be given up for rehoming once those divs realise what is involved with having a dog!...

register with all the rescue centres and get something that deserves to have a bit of attention lavished on it for once!...

Dogs Trust ( and others I'm sure) are preparing for a tsunami of unwanted dogs later this year. At the moment rescue centres mostly only have harder to re-home animals so they aren't going to new dog owners. 

There are as something in the news a few weeks ago about a survey done amongst people who had become first time dog owners in the pandemic. I can't remember the figures but there was a lot of regret, a lot of dogs not being walked,etc. 

There was an article in The Times ( I think) by some journalist who'd bought a puppy for a few thousand £ and after a few weeks returned it to a happy dog breeder who then resold it. 

And, I know I go on about this but never buy a dog unless you are 100% certain where it has come from. With puppy prices through the roof there's an increase in puppy farming, dog thefts and illegal importation of dogs from Europe. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    edited March 2021
    We were looking for a dog just before the first lockdown and had pretty much settled on a Border Terrier, which at the time were between £600-900 for a KC registered dog, the last time I looked they were £2.5K plus. 

Fortunately we managed to find a rescue dog - a Lakeland Terrier, just before we were locked down. He’s a cracking little dog too. There were lots of dogs I could quite happily have given a home to. All in he cost about £250.00 and I gave them a donation on top.

Sod the price gougers and profiteers and get a rescue dog
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I 100% agree that going for rescue dogs is a wonderful thing, however, it is not always ideal for first time owners. I know of two families (some years ago) who went for a rescue dog, and in both instances the dogs had problems that they couldn't cope with and were subsequently returned. Both families went for a puppy afterwards and it worked out very well training it from scratch. I think experience with dogs helps a lot in this respect, and we don't have any.

For what it is worth, we HAVE been checking out rescue homes for a long time as well, but my wife will only accept a dog that is hypoallergenic as she has some allergy issues, and they literally never seem to turn up at rescue centres - I haven't seen ANY in the past 8 months or so! If I wasn't married I'd have had a couple of rescue dogs years ago!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited March 2021
    Rescue/rehomed dogs are hard work and not for everyone, we have a rehomed beagle from a good ex-breeder and even she's a lot for us to handle. Lots of bad manners and so show at 6 wasn't even house trained when we first got her. Getting better but it's much easier to train a puppy than try and work with ingrained habits and behaviour of an older dog. That said it's still worth a look as it's a nice thing to do and saves a lot of money! Ours is definitely happy here, just very full on at times.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Time to roll out my standard answer - retired greyhounds make great pets. They don’t usually have the sorts of issues that some rescue dogs have, although aggression to other dogs/small animals is always a possibility. 

A properly retired racer straight from the track/a responsible trainer is the best route.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    Time to roll out my standard answer - retired greyhounds make great pets. They don’t usually have the sorts of issues that some rescue dogs have, although aggression to other dogs/small animals is always a possibility. 

A properly retired racer straight from the track/a responsible trainer is the best route.
    I'm sure that's good advice, but the wife only likes some types of dogs, so once again a restriction in our case.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    Yeah, rescue dogs are more than likely going to need more work, ours has. He is pretty aggressive to other dogs, although this has definitely improved over time. He was also very prone to jumping at cars and mainly lorries and tractors, he’s fine now though as he’s quite used to them. Hoover, linen baskets, buckets, power tools, parcels, hosepipe and a myriad of other mundane things get attacked regularly. He’s now started attacking me whenever I go to the loo or for a shower. It’s now part of his daily routine, he sprints upstairs and waits for me and starts to attack before I’m even upstairs. Actually on second thoughts, our dog is an idiot :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    Iamnobody said:

I'm sure that's good advice, but the wife only likes some types of dogs, so once again a restriction in our case.
    It wasn’t directed at you as such but yeah I understand that looks come into it.

They are, big, ugly looking bastards. Until you get close to one and then for me it was an appreciation of how muscular and athletic they are, you just need find the soft bit on top of the head to pat as they are all bones and muscle. There’s no wastage on them at all. Magnificent but not for everyone. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    We looked at greyhounds as they're super chilled out most of the time but none of our trusts would let us with kids under 5.
    TTBZ said:
    We looked at greyhounds as they're super chilled out most of the time but none of our trusts would let us with kids under 5.
    Were they general shelters? The retired greyhound trust and its branches wouldn’t stipulate that I’m sure. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited March 2021
    I mentioned this a while back but we’ve been looking for a dog for a while. My wife found a rescue Lab cross that had been brought in by a charity from Serbia. It had various issues, including an injured neck where it had been tied up for so long and it had got so stressed at one point it had chewed half it’s own tail off. So not exactly the most appealing of dogs, (and by that I mean we thought it have less appeal to some people) so we thought we’d go for it. My wife messaged the rescue centre and got a reply the following day that they’d had over 600 offers to rehome it in one day, so they’d closed the list. 

We’ve tried several other rescue centres but they’ve got super-picky about who’ll they entertain as new owners. We’ve got two cats, who grew up with our previous Lab so are very dog friendly, but that instantly seems to rule us out. 

Watch this space though, we should be finally be picking up something tomorrow. 

• fobfob Frets: 1430

And, I know I go on about this but never buy a dog unless you are 100% certain where it has come from.
    This.
    Times a 1000.
    Talk to them a number of times; visit them; see the puppies with the mother; research the breeder etc.

And be prepared to invest time in training. Basic recall is a must.

And, I know I go on about this but never buy a dog unless you are 100% certain where it has come from. With puppy prices through the roof there's an increase in puppy farming, dog thefts and illegal importation of dogs from Europe. 
    Yeah, that's why we have been looking a lot at the Pets4Homes web site. It's all quite above board and you can usually tell the decent people by their write ups etc. Most if not all seem legit.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    The Kennel Club has an approved breeder scheme too: