Any electricians on here - question about showers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• russpmrusspm Frets: 436
    boogieman said:
    russpm said:
    I always turn the water off when I go on holiday.

I can remember my parents doing that, but I’ve never bothered. 

My mum still turns the tv off at the wall at night and even unplugs it. I guess it’s a hangover from the early valve TV sets that could possibly overheat. 
    I had a bad water leak whilst away on holiday one time so always turn it off now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    boogieman said:
    russpm said:

My mum still turns the tv off at the wall at night and even unplugs it. I guess it’s a hangover from the early valve TV sets that could possibly overheat. 
    Ironically a modern TV with 240V sat on the Mosfet waiting for the switching to start is more likely to go faulty than the old style TV with a physical switch that breaks the contacts away from the mains. 

With an electric shower some have a physical switch, some have relays or contactors, some TRIACs, so I would switch it off at the isolator if I was going away. 

Turning off the water is a good idea is you are away for a while, especially these days when everything is speed fit and hose. I've had two failures, one speed fit under the bath joint went and the first I noticed was water dripping through the ceiling rose downstairs and one hose feeding the toilet cistern went which caused havoc as well. Had I been on holiday when either of those joints went the whole house would have been flooded. 
    When we did the plumbing in the studio we used copper pipe through out and soldered every joint. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    boogieman said:
    russpm said:

Ironically a modern TV with 240V sat on the Mosfet waiting for the switching to start is more likely to go faulty than the old style TV with a physical switch that breaks the contacts away from the mains. 

With an electric shower some have a physical switch, some have relays or contactors, some TRIACs, so I would switch it off at the isolator if I was going away. 

Turning off the water is a good idea is you are away for a while, especially these days when everything is speed fit and hose. I've had two failures, one speed fit under the bath joint went and the first I noticed was water dripping through the ceiling rose downstairs and one hose feeding the toilet cistern went which caused havoc as well. Had I been on holiday when either of those joints went the whole house would have been flooded. 
    When we did the plumbing in the studio we used copper pipe through out and soldered every joint. 
    You can’t  go wrong with copper and soldered joints. Really not a fan of the push fit / speed fittings, plus plastic pipes can cause earth continuity issues for the electrical system.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    Thanks for all the advice, I bought the MK 50A switch.

When I started fitting it the electric for the whole house went off - I'd obviously turned off the switch on the fuse box for the bathroom beforehand, so I'm not sure why the rest of the electrics were affected.

Is it anything to worry about?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    longjaw said:
    Thanks for all the advice, I bought the MK 50A switch.

When I started fitting it the electric for the whole house went off - I'd obviously turned off the switch on the fuse box for the bathroom beforehand, so I'm not sure why the rest of the electrics were affected.

Is it anything to worry about?
    Was it the main RCD device that tripped? If so you may have just touched the earth or neutral to one of the other wires whilst changing the switch. If so nothing to worry about.
    Yep, it was the main RCD @russpm - thanks for confirming ;)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Don't take whats written on the fuse box as gospel, often people spur things off without any thought for future work. Our boiler is spurred off the upstairs lighting ring. Turn the main breaker off to be sure. 

The shower should be on it's own ring 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Switch now fitted and working - thanks very much for all the advice, much appreciated!
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1910
    longjaw said:
    Thanks very much chaps - there's no issue with the shower affecting any other electrics when it's on.

I'll definitely stick with a 45 amp switch, can't find a MK one though - are there any other makes to consider?
    Nor should it. It has to be on it's own dedicated fused circuit. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.