Dog prices are insane these days

What's Hot

Comments

• How much do you lot pay on average every year to look after your dog? Food, insurance, injections etc.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    Apparently more people are buying them to pose with on instagram. Fashion accessories like French bulldogs, so many around thesedays, and at least where I live there seems to be a hell of a lot more dog crap all over the pavements too. If you've got dogs, please pick up after them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    How much do you lot pay on average every year to look after your dog? Food, insurance, injections etc.  
    I'm mostly talking living with a poorly dog here, so ignore me if you think it's irrelevant.

Before he died, my dog cost me roughly £100 in tablets for his heart condition every month. His insurance was £60 per month so I saw quite a bit of that back. There were quite a lot of big bills towards the end of his life; 500-700 was common, but Sainsbury's always looked after us and we saw a good chunk returned in quick fashion.

Food was negligible as he was only small. A good quality dry food was only around £50 for a large bag and lasted him 2-3 months. 'Normal' vet bills, again, seemed pretty negligible before his illness took hold.

Groomers cost around £30-£40 every 3 months.
  • Be careful. 

A lot of first-time non-professional "breeders" out there are breeding their already-crossed dogs, with huge risk to the puppies of genetic disorders. They then advertise them for a high price and sell instantly without having them all checked over by a vet first. 

Vets can check for a lot of these issues, but it's expensive and takes time, and puppies piss and shit everywhere - right now it's easy to just list them for a couple of grand and sell them in moments, so they don't get checked. 

Know who you get one from. Or go to a rescue home. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    edited March 2021
    Dogs are in on it. They charge more so that the owners love them more, and care for them more. 
    They also get a cut of around 15-20% from the seller which they invest in a hedge fund. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    edited March 2021
    Be careful. 

A lot of first-time non-professional "breeders" out there are breeding their already-crossed dogs, with huge risk to the puppies of genetic disorders. They then advertise them for a high price and sell instantly without having them all checked over by a vet first. 

Vets can check for a lot of these issues, but it's expensive and takes time, and puppies piss and shit everywhere - right now it's easy to just list them for a couple of grand and sell them in moments, so they don't get checked. 

Know who you get one from. Or go to a rescue home. 
    Exactly. Unless you're getting a full musculo-skeletal score for both parents, as well as screening for all the breed-common genetic diseases for each of the parents (and the grandparents), and these are verified by your vet....the breeders are wastes of space and they're not qualified to breed anything.

The same goes for the ones who're advertising designer crossbreeds. They're not designer dogs, they're mongrels - but they're usually mongrels descended from "pedigree" dogs that have resulted from generations of inbreeding. The high prices have nothing to do with the dogs, and everything to do with the marketing that social media influencers are foisting on people.

KC registration is...a total misnomer. If you're not going to be showing the dogs, all it does is say that the dog (and its ancestors) conform to the KC standards, which themselves encourage inbreeding.

I say this as somebody who's owned six dogs, five of which were pedigree rescues and conformed (as expected) to KC standards. The vet bills to correct and manage the very genetic conditions the KC standards require have been fucking massive.

If you want a companion dog that's most likely to live a long, healthy life...go to a rescue and get a true mongrel, and kick every back-yard breeder in the nuts when you see them.

That last bit isn't required, but recommended.
    <space for hire>
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3596
    edited March 2021
    Rescues....  our dogs have been absolutely incredible.

Our current mutt is just the best thing ever. Super lovely, will chase balls till he collapses, defends the house if he had to and never gets nasty.  Cool as a cucumber with strangers and other dogs.

The whole ‘breed’ thing stinks IMHO - genetic cesspools.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18378
    They're not designer dogs, they're mongrels - but they're usually mongrels descended from "pedigree" dogs that have resulted from generations of inbreeding. The high prices have nothing to do with the dogs, and everything to do with the marketing that social media influencers are foisting on people.
    @digitalscream  That was a great summation of the whole 'designer dog' situation, including the morally bankrupt influence of the unregulated, self appointed, self serving Kennel Club. Animal welfare? Last thing on their cashflow minds.
    In addition, I've personally had enough of portmanteau names for dog crosses, describing them as if they were breeds, in order to bestow doubtful attributes upon them  B
     CockerPoo, Labradoodle, Chihuadane etc. * insert your own own favourite/most annoying made up name here.
    They are all mongrels & mongrels are bloody brilliant, but concentrating the gene pool of such limited crosses is another very bad idea.
    For those in any doubt about the detriment of bad breeding & inbreeding (pedigrees) versus random crossing, go look up 'Heterosis' & "hybrid vigour' 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    You save one dog you actually save two because it frees up kennel space to save another
    We are looking for a Bulldog rescue, to go with our two other dogs (Beagle and a Dachshund/Jack Russel mix), but it seems many rescues can't be rehomed with other dogs.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    We are looking for a Bulldog rescue, to go with our two other dogs (Beagle and a Dachshund/Jack Russel mix), but it seems many rescues can't be rehomed with other dogs.
    Yeah, it's quite common - along with "no small children". It's to protect the dogs against the most common of returns, which are "It doesn't get along with my other dogs" and "It growled when my kid was pulling its ears!". Repeated rehoming and returning means that those dogs are less likely to ever be adopted at all, so it's almost counter-intuitively better for the rescues to be super-picky about who they allow to adopt.

You might be able to persuade them, if they'll let you take your dogs a few times over a few weeks to introduce them safely to the prospective new family member.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    Rescue a greyhound, best £100 I’ve ever spent. 
    I’ll never have another breed now, greyhounds are awesome. 
    #thebatesmotelband
    Greyhounds are just too big. I love bulldogs and perfect for the name Marshall.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Greyhounds are just too big. I love bulldogs and perfect for the name Marshall.
    Be prepared for inherent problems in bulldogs, sorry if I’m teaching you to suck eggs telling you that but my niece and her other half spent thousands trying to help there’s but the poor little bugger couldn’t be saved. 

I’m sure there is a bulldog, or was, on the dogs trust site.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 197
    edited March 2021
    You can do all the checks on buying a puppy and still come unstuck.A friend recently got a puppy and made sure that they saw the puppy with its mother .Some months later people were saying it’s nothing like as described.After a Dna test they found out that it has nothing to do with the mother that was shown to them.I recently got a puppy for a lot of money.I looked at the commitment of owning a dog for maybe ten years plus more important than money .My dog is now 10 months old        No regrets.This is long post for me now for a lay down  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098

KC registration is...a total misnomer. If you're not going to be showing the dogs, all it does is say that the dog (and its ancestors) conform to the KC standards, which themselves encourage inbreeding.

Nah... KC registration is just a way for the breeders to make even more money...

according to his KC family tree and pedigree “Frank” is a french bulldog!!!!!

My arse he is!!!!! His mum may have been a frenchie but his dad was deffo Samuel L Jackson!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Rescues, all the way for us. Wouldn’t buy a puppy, personally.. each to their own, of course. No criticism intended.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    usedtobe said:
    Rescues, all the way for us. Wouldn’t buy a puppy, personally.. each to their own, of course. No criticism intended.

Same here. I wouldn't look anywhere else - you get the chance to give a dog that needs rehoming a loving home, and  you free up a space for another poor mutt that's been discarded. Many, sadly, will be dogs that have been bought in this lockdown period. As you say, each to their own, of course.
    Call me Dave.
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    edited March 2021
    Be careful. 

This is very true, sadly.

My sister-in-law, whose the bad one of her siblings, is a back yard breeder and seems to have a litter of chav dogs every year, which seems to sell very quickly.

I'm amazed how much she gets for them, sadly there is steady demand from people who knowingly pay a price under the KC / pro-breeder rate to get a staffie, and turn a blind eye to its background and where its come from as it's a 'must have' fashion accessory.
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    That sounds like two awesome dogs you have there. We have been looking at Dachshunds (or mongrel with some hound heritage) recently.