Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129
    Went out for a plod again tonight, ended up averaging 7:30 /mile for 3.1 miles (5k). My last mile was 7:00 pace, which is getting close to my target. And I felt pretty comfortable again.

I'm gonna book in for gait analysis and buy some proper running trainers. No doubt I'll end up with blisters and injuries that I don't get with my £20 Reebok's!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    edited March 2021
    4 x 30 minute runs last week. No idea exactly what distance any of them were but they'll have been close to 5k.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    I’ve just done a quick 3km loop to test my calf which keeps giving me grief. Seemed ok so gonna try 5km next. Want to get back in the habit of 10km really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Went out for a plod again tonight, ended up averaging 7:30 /mile for 3.1 miles (5k). My last mile was 7:00 pace, which is getting close to my target. And I felt pretty comfortable again.

I'm gonna book in for gait analysis and buy some proper running trainers. No doubt I'll end up with blisters and injuries that I don't get with my £20 Reebok's!
    Wish I could plod at 7:30/mile! 
    7 miles on Sunday and another 5 tonight. 

Wife won’t let me use my shiny new ON Cloudflyers as it’s ‘not my birthday yet’. :-(

legs feel a bit weary but ok overall. Hopefully this is the start of me feeling good enough to get out 4 times a week.....just in time for 10 days of solid rain :D 
    19.5 miles this week. Wanted to get to 20 but didn’t get out for tonight’s run until 9:45 so was just a bridge too far as legs were very heavy! Improving each week, so long may it continue. 
    joneve said:
    19.5 miles this week. Wanted to get to 20 but didn’t get out for tonight’s run until 9:45 so was just a bridge too far as legs were very heavy! Improving each week, so long may it continue. 
    Impressive distance. I managed 12 again this week, which is ahead of target. Finished off with a 5 mile PB of 39:22. I wasn't comfortable for any of it, especially the 4th mile when I was running into wind on the edge of a lake and uphill. Just my stubborn determination for me through.

Previous week I was able to run at 7:30 pace for most of a 3 mile run feeling very comfortable. But the week just gone has felt like hard work. Maybe the weather. Maybe I've overdone it. I can't pace myself properly either. I went out yesterday trying to start with an 8:20 mile and then wind it up to 8:00, then 7:50. But I was sub 8:00 on the first mile and not because I felt strong, just poor pacing.

Also went for gait analysis. I run neutral which is nice. I may spend silly-for-me money on running shoes.
    joneve said:
    Impressive distance. I managed 12 again this week, which is ahead of target. Finished off with a 5 mile PB of 39:22. I wasn't comfortable for any of it, especially the 4th mile when I was running into wind on the edge of a lake and uphill. Just my stubborn determination for me through.

Previous week I was able to run at 7:30 pace for most of a 3 mile run feeling very comfortable. But the week just gone has felt like hard work. Maybe the weather. Maybe I've overdone it. I can't pace myself properly either. I went out yesterday trying to start with an 8:20 mile and then wind it up to 8:00, then 7:50. But I was sub 8:00 on the first mile and not because I felt strong, just poor pacing.

Also went for gait analysis. I run neutral which is nice. I may spend silly-for-me money on running shoes.
    I’d love those paces! Re:running shoes, the ones I have for my birthday were £140 which is double what I’ve ever spent on running shoes. Hopefully they’re good haha! 

I’d like to try (and need to!) and get to 25 miles a week regularly, but a few weeks off that yet. Legs are tired today. 
    I've only done 2 runs this week, so far. 3.1 miles (5k) at my comfortable 8:00/mile pace. Then a 4 mile run where I tried to push the pace for the penultimate mile. Worked out well, I average 7:30/mile with the last two miles being around the 7:00/mile mark. And I felt pretty strong too.

I'm feeling shattered today, lack of sleep, so I'll run tomorrow. Probably a longer one at steady pace just to get some miles in.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have done 3 runs this week, two interval runs and then a quick 3km as I was pushed for time but wanted to get out!  Really enjoyed the interval runs, it's good to run at different paces.  I am trying to lose a bit of weight at the moment as I think that could be a cause of my intermittent calf injuries.  Lost 6lb in the past 2-3 weeks and that is with not much running.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7142
    Have been sidelined for two weeks with the hip injury. Went back out today for my first “have I recovered?” Run. 24 minute 5k, so pace was ok, but my god my cardio has dipped in a fortnight! Felt a bit of a slog. Crucially though, hip feels ok. 
    5 miles this morning making up for not going out last night. Feel very ploddy at the minute, and very little pep in my step. Diet probably doesn't help, but it feels mostly "comfortable", so happy to keep churning along. Aim is to get up to 20-25 miles a week by May - so 3 x 7 miles and a shorter run would definitely be achievable I think. 
    joneve said:
    5 miles this morning making up for not going out last night. Feel very ploddy at the minute, and very little pep in my step. Diet probably doesn't help, but it feels mostly "comfortable", so happy to keep churning along. Aim is to get up to 20-25 miles a week by May - so 3 x 7 miles and a shorter run would definitely be achievable I think. 
    It's interesting how different I feel for different runs. Last week when I did my 4 mile PB I was so relaxed and comfortable. I did 10k yesterday and felt reasonably good. But another day I'll go and feel heavy-legged, or can't get the pace, or every stride feels awkward.

20-25 miles a week is too much for me. I'll be on my bike more in April, so will try to do 1 long (5+ miles) and 1 short (3 miles) per week.
    joneve said:
    It's interesting how different I feel for different runs. Last week when I did my 4 mile PB I was so relaxed and comfortable. I did 10k yesterday and felt reasonably good. But another day I'll go and feel heavy-legged, or can't get the pace, or every stride feels awkward.

20-25 miles a week is too much for me. I'll be on my bike more in April, so will try to do 1 long (5+ miles) and 1 short (3 miles) per week.
    Probably too much for me too. But when you've set yourself a stupid goal of 1000 miles in a year, you have no choice. :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Trying 3k a day 5 times a week at the moment at a quicker pace.
    Works nicer than 5k, 3 times a week. 
    My legs are much happier and it let's me weights, muay thai etc without broken legs.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    10km today in the glorious sunshine. Up to 15 miles/24km for the week. Hoping to get up to 32km/20 miles, so a nice plod at the weekend will be ideal. 
    I hit my 40 mile monthly target yesterday. I'll probably get close to 50 by next Wednesday.
    For my run last night I tried a 5k PB - which was 22:10 at the end of a sprint triathlon 2 years ago. I set off a bit quick and recorded a 6:58 first mile, but felt it and had to ease up. I managed to cling on to a decent pace throughout and thought I'd break 22:00 for certain. I equalled my PB time. So, it's good but slightly disappointing at the same time. I'm sure if I had set off a bit steadier I could have finished strong. That's next week's mission.
  • I'm 34, overweight and have never done any consistent exercise in my life! Started couch to 5k in October last year and I'm now running 5k three times a week!

It's the longest I've kept any exercise up and it's been really rewarding to see my fitness and speed improve. I'm also finding it really good for my mental health and I've managed to lose about a stone.

I've still got a long way to go but managed to do 5.25k the other day and probably could have gone a bit further and have got my average pace over a 5k down to about 6:10 a km.
    I'm 34, overweight and have never done any consistent exercise in my life! Started couch to 5k in October last year and I'm now running 5k three times a week!

It's the longest I've kept any exercise up and it's been really rewarding to see my fitness and speed improve. I'm also finding it really good for my mental health and I've managed to lose about a stone.

I've still got a long way to go but managed to do 5.25k the other day and probably could have gone a bit further and have got my average pace over a 5k down to about 6:10 a km.
    Nice work dude! I love running for all the reasons you said above, I just wish my joints and muscles loved it more haha
    I'm 34, overweight and have never done any consistent exercise in my life! Started couch to 5k in October last year and I'm now running 5k three times a week!

Well done. That’s how I started, couch to 5km is great.