The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Recently finished a mammoth binge watch of NZ shows Westside, on the Roku box, followed by Outrageous Fortune, which we found elsewhere.
    OF was made first, and Westside was then made as a prequel. We really enjoyed both.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    edited March 2021
    @hollywoodrox if you're missing Seinfeld I would suggest Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's top notch.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23948
    Finally got round to watching The Handmaid's Tale.

Very dark stuff!
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229

Very dark stuff!

Yes, a great show, but not one that you can say you 'enjoy'.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350

Very dark stuff!
    Darker still when you read the interviews with Margaret Atwood - *everything* in it has happened somewhere in the world already - bloody terrifying 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    The Terror - Not bad, although would have been better if they'd have at least PRETENDED they were recording it somewhere cold

Your Honor - Only one episode in so far, but really liking it! Bryan Cranston delivers, as usual. Was hoping the defence lawyer was going to be Saul...
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4084
    ennspek said:
    @hollywoodrox if you're missing Seinfeld I would suggest Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's top notch.
    Thanks I’ll check it out , I did see he bought all the Seinfeld characters back for a few episodes in one series, thank you for your recommendation, have a great day
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5595
    edited March 2021
    The ones we've watched and would recommend include, but are not limited to:

Homeland (amazeballs)
    Virgin River (more like a romantic soap but stunning scenery and easy to watch)
    Life in Pieces (freaking hilarious)
    Marcella
    Car Share
    Father Ted

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    edited March 2021
    House on Amazon Prime

We'd not seen it when it originally came out but it doesn't really work in the age of streaming (binge watching). Casualty style opening; well surely the diagnosis must be X; no, oh it must be Y, it's definitely Y; OMG it's Z! Ad infinitum (well the 5 or 6 episodes we've watched).
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    'Rake' -Netflix -really good fun
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    I'm on the 3rd season of Mad Men. Ad company in New York in 1960s.

Slow to begin with but really enjoyable. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    fob said:
    House on Amazon Prime

We'd not seen it when it originally came out but it doesn't really work in the age of streaming (binge watching). Casualty style opening; well surely the diagnosis must be X; no, oh it must be Y, it's definitely Y; OMG it's Z! Ad infinitum (well the 5 or 6 episodes we've watched).
    I loved it ( there are even guitars ) but it does eventually go off on some directions where you will probably want to give up.

On a roughly similar note I used to love The Mentalist, not a medical series but deductive reasoning cop show without a great deal of gore, swearing, etc. Former psychic turned police consultant. Very formulaic, some cool moments and a last season that utterly lost the plot so in those senses just like House.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1430

On a roughly similar note I used to love The Mentalist, not a medical series but deductive reasoning cop show without a great deal of gore, swearing, etc. Former psychic turned police consultant. Very formulaic, some cool moments and a last season that utterly lost the plot so in those senses just like House.    
    I'd forgotten about The Mentalist - that we did see when it first came out and so probably watched a few more of those as the interval between episodes meant that the formula wasn't so in-your-face. But, yeah, it didn't take long to see the monster-of-the-week coupled with the overarching monster-of-the-series formulae. I remember dipping back into it when it was the final episode, had died a death, and it was pure comedy - they must have been playing it for laughs at that point: one of the 'team' took a shotgun blast at point blank range and then limps up to the rest of them once the battle is over "oof, that was sore!"

fob said:

I'd forgotten about The Mentalist - that we did see when it first came out and so probably watched a few more of those as the interval between episodes meant that the formula wasn't so in-your-face. But, yeah, it didn't take long to see the monster-of-the-week coupled with the overarching monster-of-the-series formulae. I remember dipping back into it when it was the final episode, had died a death, and it was pure comedy - they must have been playing it for laughs at that point: one of the 'team' took a shotgun blast at point blank range and then limps up to the rest of them once the battle is over "oof, that was sore!"

Dexter was another one that went really screwy towards the end, Battlestar Galactica also.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    ennspek said:
    fob said:

Dexter was another one that went really screwy towards the end, Battlestar Galactica also.
    The new Dexter is supposed to be out this year although it may well be delayed I guess. Each season was reasonably different, gawd knows what the new one will be like. 

The Mentalist was very, very loosely  based on a British psychic, not in terms of Red John and all that but he was a psychic who explained all the tricks of the trade. If the DVD extras are somewhere on line they are probably more interesting than the actual episodes.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I'm on the 3rd season of Mad Men. Ad company in New York in 1960s.

Mad Men is the GOAT TV show. Undisputed. Anyone who disagrees is a fool.

I rewatched all seven series in their entirety during the first lockdown. It's only gotten better with age.

Absolute genius.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'm on the 3rd season of Mad Men. Ad company in New York in 1960s.

Mad Men is the GOAT TV show. Undisputed. Anyone who disagrees is a fool.

I rewatched all seven series in their entirety during the first lockdown. It's only gotten better with age.

Absolute genius.
    I tried it and lost interest in the first few episodes. Been meaning to give it another go.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    I've been going back through the first 4 seasons of Elementary that I found much better than Sherlock that I always felt was trying to show off to much at the expense of the plot.
    Running through early Seasons of the Blacklist back when it was much more consistent than it is currently.
    Also rewatching Dollhouse Seasons 1 and 2 on and off,  and this week viewed Torchwood S3 (Children of Earth) that I think is the high water mark for TV SF.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited March 2021
    'The Terror' - BBC iPlayer.

I loved it, despite some iffy 'scenery'. The acting was spot-on, Ciaran Hinds' character demonstrating the Peter Principle perfectly, Jared Harris superb as his doubting second-in-command. Some grueling scenes but all in a day's work for a Royal Navy jolly jack crew whose ship is stuck in the ice with no hope of getting out again.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    We're watching "Your Honor" at the moment. I find it intensely gripping, real edge of your seat stuff as everything goes from bad to much worse...