The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• @Gassage we don’t know as no one has really been given a chance. It seems like every player is told your only in till Tuilagi is fit. That’s not the way to run a team. With England’s playing numbers surely they have quite a few 12s they can choose from? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    @Gassage we don’t know as no one has really been given a chance. It seems like every player is told your only in till Tuilagi is fit. That’s not the way to run a team. With England’s playing numbers surely they have quite a few 12s they can choose from? 
    This in itself seems like insanity to me. Tuilagi has only actually played half of the last seven years, through injury. He's 29, and he's going to start recovering even more slowly just from the sheer strain on the joints that his style of play results in.

England need to be setting up a world without Tuilagi. He's probably only got a year or two of internationals left in him (spread over the next four or five years).

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player when he's fit, and he transforms the team. It's just that relying on him to come back is putting the team into a holding pattern we can't afford.

Hell, we'd probably have more luck teaching Sam Simmonds how to play 13 than waiting for Manu to come back.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1947
    @Gassage we don’t know as no one has really been given a chance. It seems like every player is told your only in till Tuilagi is fit. That’s not the way to run a team. With England’s playing numbers surely they have quite a few 12s they can choose from? 
    My view is that England need to forget about Tuilagi - he's getting on a bit now (30 this year - 32 come next RWC) - time to move on?
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Neill said:
    crunchman said:
    Gassage said:
    crunchman said:
    I think Watson is best fullback. And I think Slade is a classy player. What do you do with Farrell? 

Bench, or 10 if you think his place kicking and defense make him a better option than Ford.  He shouldn't be in the side at 12.  If he plays it has to be at 10.

I could not disagree more with you.

England have never won a test with Farrell at 10 when they've not been leading by 5 or more points after 20 mins.

Ford has a 79% win rate when starting (not coming on) at ten, Farrell has 64% win rate starting at ten. 

Farrell is a centre than can play at 10, not the other way around.

I did say if he plays.  Personally I wouldn't start him.

He isn't our best 12, in the same way he isn't our best 10.

I do wonder if EJ always plays him because he doesn't trust Ford's goal kicking?  Having a reliable kicker is important, and you would be willing to sacrifice a little elsewhere to get that.  There is also the defensive aspect.  Forwards don't deliberately run at him like they do with Ford.

It's probably futile trying to figure out what goes on inside of EJ's head.  I said above that it would be better to have a captain who is a forward.  Leave Farrell out, and play our best two centres outside of Ford.  If Ford doesn't kick goals reliably over the next few matches, then you need a rethink.  In that case, I think we would be better off using Farrell at 10 and picking our best centres.
    I see Lawrence Dallaglio has stuck his head over the parapet regarding Farrell.  He's not gone as far as suggesting he should be dropped, but believes the captaincy should go to Itoje or Jamie George.  LD makes the valid point that every world cup winning side has been captained by a forward, and he raised what I think is a very apt issue with backs and Farrell especially, that if you captain from the backs, you invariably have to run forward to have words with the ref which sets up the potential for confrontation before the conversation begins.   

Of course, wise words from experienced ex players such as Dallaglio will just make EJ dig his heels in even more which is why I think things have to get worse before they get better.

Well Laurence Dallaglio is wrong the :
    Davis Kirk and Nick Farr Jones come to mind 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    crunchman said:
    Gassage said:

OK, who is our best 12? (with Manu unavailable)?

Not sure.  We do need someone more physical in there though.  Whether that's at 12, or at 13 with Slade moving inside to  12 I'm not sure.

It would probably make sense to give Ollie Lawrence more of a chance - outside of Ford so he might have a chance of getting the ball in better situations.

Slade, at test level (and don't shoot me here) would absolutely be best at 15. He's ended up there a few times by default and played there many times at club level.

Personally, Piers O'Conor.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

edited March 2021
    Re Lawrence, I won't have a bad word said after today.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Wonder how much pressure will ramp up on England squad and Eddie if they lose this weekend? 
    This is not a bad side, but they are disrupted by Covid issues and lack of playing time.
    think Scotland will nick the result against Ireland, and Wales should beat Italy, hopefully with bonus point. 
    So if England and And Ireland win, Wales could win Championship this weekend, which would reduce pressure for Final Wales France match. 
    Wales need to pile the points and make sure of the bonus point though. 
    Anyone else have thoughts for weekend? 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Malins in for Daly.

Still persisting with Farrell though.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    And we lose the services of Odogwu, again, as he's not even given a place on the bench.

I think what's needed is for the press and thise who comment on the game to praise Farrell unceasingly. Maybe EJ will take it the way he normally takes such comments and decide that everyone is wrong and drop him. 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    scrumhalf said:
    And we lose the services of Odogwu, again, as he's not even given a place on the bench.

I think what's needed is for the press and thise who comment on the game to praise Farrell unceasingly. Maybe EJ will take it the way he normally takes such comments and decide that everyone is wrong and drop him. 
    Ah, yes, reverse psychology... No I think we have to hope they get thrashed by France then surely something has to give.  

I feel ashamed saying that but it's an indication of how bad things are.
  • Think they will beat France, and then all will be fine in Eddie's world. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I don't really keep up on Club stuff but: would Itoje be seen as captain material at some point? He's slam dunk my favourite player by some distance - I can't even bring myself to think badly of him for 5 penalties given the manner of them - does he not embody what you'd want in a captain or does he lack strategic knowledge or something else that would mean he wasn't a contender (at either club or national level) ? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    I don't really keep up on Club stuff but: would Itoje be seen as captain material at some point? He's slam dunk my favourite player by some distance - I can't even bring myself to think badly of him for 5 penalties given the manner of them - does he not embody what you'd want in a captain or does he lack strategic knowledge or something else that would mean he wasn't a contender (at either club or national level) ? 

I'd make him captain now.

It's always better to have a captain who is a forward, and it would mean you could drop Farrell to the bench and pick a better balanced midfield.

I've heard him interviewed on a podcast and he comes across as articulate and intelligent.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I toje has to cut the penalty count down before he becomes captain. Referees are surely on the lookout for him, and a seventy-minute captain can't be what we're looking for.

scrumhalf said:
    I toje has to cut the penalty count down before he becomes captain. Referees are surely on the lookout for him, and a seventy-minute captain can't be what we're looking for.

On the other hand, the responsibility might be good for him.  He's probably less of a risk to get binned or sent off for a dodgy tackle than Farrell.

He's our best player, which is good.  You want someone who can lead by example.

Who else is absolutely certain of their place, and pretty much guaranteed to stay on for 80 minutes?
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    England problem is they don't adapt. Farrell needs to be replaced as Captain, then if things aren't working on the pitch a new general can be sent on to change the game plan. Assuming Eddie has one. 
  • Predictions for weekend?
    for Me, 
    Wales V Italy in Rome, should be a hard match but hopefully a bonus point win for Wales. 
    England V France, tight match, but I think England will sneak this one with a couple of points, 
    Scotland V Ireland, I feel Scotland will nick this, of they believe in them selves, couple of points. 
    Anyone else? 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Looking at the England team for Sat I can't see them beating France, and certainly not in an empty stadium.   EJ has made two changes, Cowan Dickie for George, which is a wash anyway, and Daly goes to the bench for Mailns to start.  I honestly think that's a political move, Eddie is trying to prove that no-one is indispensable but it's a weak ploy.

I see Austin Healey is the latest to call for Farrell to be stood down , from the team and the captaincy.  Sadly that means Farrell is now guaranteed his place in the side even if he breaks both legs.
    Neill said:
    Looking at the England team for Sat I can't see them beating France, and certainly not in an empty stadium.   EJ has made two changes, Cowan Dickie for George, which is a wash anyway, and Daly goes to the bench for Mailns to start.  I honestly think that's a political move, Eddie is trying to prove that no-one is indispensable but it's a weak ploy.

I see Austin Healey is the latest to call for Farrell to be stood down , from the team and the captaincy.  Sadly that means Farrell is now guaranteed his place in the side even if he breaks both legs.

When you find yourself agreeing with Austin Healy, it does make you question what is happening in the world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom