Classifieds Rule Change: Counterfeits

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
edited June 2020 in Off Topic
I've just made a small edit to the rules for the Classifieds - the rule hasn't changed, but now it's clearer as to what's allowed and what isn't:

We use the definition of fake/counterfeit as given in UK law - "anything which is not what it appears to be". By attempting to sell such items on here, you're making me personally liable for the sale of counterfeit goods under UK law, and that constitutes a significant risk to the existence of the forum.

As a result, we have an extremely low-tolerance policy on this. First time, you'll get your ad removed. Second time, you lose classifieds access permanently.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just to reiterate this point as there's been a few ads in recent days that have fallen foul of the rules:

If you have a partscaster, which is displaying a brand (such as Fender), even if it is made up of that brand's parts but wasn't assembled by them, then it still falls foul of the rules. 

You can sell partscasters as a whole without a brand logo or a logo not associated with a manufacturer (unless you are the manufacturer and it's your logo of course!) or you can sell them as parts. Note that you can't sell a neck with a brand logo on unless that's how it came out of the factory/when new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just to reiterate this point as there's been a few ads in recent days that have fallen foul of the rules:

If you have a partscaster, which is displaying a brand (such as Fender), even if it is made up of that brand's parts but wasn't assembled by them, then it still falls foul of the rules. 

You can sell partscasters as a whole without a brand logo or a logo not associated with a manufacturer (unless you are the manufacturer and it's your logo of course!) or you can sell them as parts. Note that you can't sell a neck with a brand logo on unless that's how it came out of the factory/when new.
    Just to confirm, not that i have one to sell atm but if I bought a Fender neck for the Squire body I have, I can not sell it on here not even as a partscaster unless i strip the factory head stock decals?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    That, or sell it as parts
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Seems to cause a lot of confusion...

If the guitar didn’t leave a fender US, Mexican or Japanese factory as a whole then it can’t be sold as a fender. Actually, selling any guitar with a brand (insert luthier name and logo) name on a fender shape headstock is also trademark infringement. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Seems to cause a lot of confusion...

If the guitar didn’t leave a fender US, Mexican or Japanese factory as a whole then it can’t be sold as a fender. Actually, selling any guitar with a brand (insert luthier name and logo) name on a fender shape headstock is also trademark infringement. 
    The difference being that we're not so bothered about trademark infringement; that's part of civil law, and only affects the manufacturer. The law on counterfeits, however, has an explicit legal implication for the forum itself.
    <space for hire>
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Seems to cause a lot of confusion...

If the guitar didn’t leave a fender US, Mexican or Japanese factory as a whole then it can’t be sold as a fender. 
    I have a Chinese Fender Mustang! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    And yet more clarity required it seems.

”Partscasters” are not just Strats or Teles. 

This rule applies to absolutely any manufacturer brand. If the guitar has a manufacturer logo on it and it isn’t the same body and neck that left the factory as assembled by said manufacturer, then it’s a counterfeit. 

That means criminal UK law applies and we are liable for it - so it’s an absolute no no or you can say bye bye to the fretboard permanently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16004
    I've got a Rolex but I put a Fender neck on it .......it's a bit cumbersome for my wrist but can I sell it here ?
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
    edited March 2021
    ^ You'd need a brass neck for that I'd have thought..
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Thread closed to prevent any more “side splitting” comments. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.