The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• At least Heally Unites people, everyone hates him! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    At least Heally Unites people, everyone hates him! 
    There's a Martin Johnson quote which went something like "The great thing about having Austin in the side was that whoever we played, they all hated him.  The trouble is, we all hated him too".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    It really pains me to say it but Healey is a decent enough co-commentator. He's learned to dial down the unfunny humour and is quite the analyst.

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    scrumhalf said:
    It really pains me to say it but Healey is a decent enough co-commentator. He's learned to dial down the unfunny humour and is quite the analyst.

I would agree with that. He does have the odd vocal exchange moment with Ben Kay - in the old days Kay would have just filled him in. But to be fair, his analysis and observations are good.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Italy pretty poor it has to be said. 27-0 and bonus point at half time. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Italy pretty poor it has to be said. 27-0 and bonus point at half time. 
    Very poor. 
    I think the Italy experiment has run its course for now. They are not good enough and should be playing against teams of a similar standard. It can't be doing them any good to be thumped on a regular basis.

England-France has started interestingly. 
    scrumhalf said:
    I think the Italy experiment has run its course for now. They are not good enough and should be playing against teams of a similar standard. It can't be doing them any good to be thumped on a regular basis.

England-France has started interestingly. 
    I read somewhere today that the CVC 6N deal pretty much binds Italy in for the next 5 years.
    That was a very decent game of rugby, very enjoyable. 
  • Predictions for weekend?
    for Me, 
    Wales V Italy in Rome, should be a hard match but hopefully a bonus point win for Wales. 
    England V France, tight match, but I think England will sneak this one with a couple of points, 
    Scotland V Ireland, I feel Scotland will nick this, of they believe in them selves, couple of points. 
    Anyone else? 
    Just seen who’s reffing Scotland V Ireland, Poite, so depends on how he feels on the day. 
  • Technically 3 teams could still win championship, but only Wales can win Grand Slam. Gonna be a hard game for Scotland, but if they could win with Bonus point, they will surely get a 5 pointer against Italy. And if France beat Wales without bonus point could be 3 teams on 19, unless Wales get a losing bonus point? My head hurts, too many what ifs! 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited March 2021
    It’s time to start believing. The narrative that Wales have been lucky needs to change. They’ve been improving with every game and it seems Pivac has now got them playing his way. Gethin Jenkins as defence coach has had a big impact. The back row of Faletau, Navidi and Tipuric is outstanding and Rees Zammit is the real deal. Players are taking the ball at speed. This analysis shows what Wales are doing well:

https://youtu.be/RgxhEfJjqs4

Wales can go to France, who could not beat England. full of confidence and I believe they can win the Grand Slam. Not by being lucky, but by playing great rugby.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    With one weekend +1 to go, with one or two exceptions I think most places for the the Lions are still up for grabs.

It's been an odd tournament so far with Wales initially the underdogs and England seemingly on a self destruct path until last Saturday.  They say Gatland picks on form, so I reckon there's still a lot to play for which should make the final round of matches very interesting.  

• Trouble is, will the Saracen internationals be able to maintain form leading up to Lions tour?
  • What a shock to see CJ Stander is retiring from Rugby, whatever side you are on, he has been a great player, and nice to hear he’s retiring on his terms, at the top whilst still playing well. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I have Stander as my Lions 8 during this 6N. Neither Faletau nor BV have been performing consistently nor well, adequate to one good game. whereas CJS has been consistently very good.

I can see Warren Gatland going beyond the international squads for certain positions, he's got form in that respect and the Covid thing has restricted the national coaches this season.  Number eight is one position where there is no one outstanding performer from the six nations so there could well be a wild card in there.
  • Neill said:
    I can see Warren Gatland going beyond the international squads for certain positions, he's got form in that respect and the Covid thing has restricted the national coaches this season.  Number eight is one position where there is no one outstanding performer from the six nations so there could well be a wild card in there.
    Could actually pick Sam Simmonds, Faletau is probably most natural to get the 8 shirt though. 

What’s everyone’s thoughts for super Saturday? 
    Can't see Wales beating France. Hopefully it'll be close but the French are too powerful and mobile up front for us.

I'm thinking Ireland will sneak it by 3.
    If Wales beat France, as a tribute to the late great Murray Walker "I'll eat the hat I don't normally wear".

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom