The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Very sad to hear about his passing. A genuine legend and the voice of F1. RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    RIP Murray, sorely missed from his commentating days. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    Oh that’s a shame. He really was big part of my F1 memories. Is it bad to say I thought he was already dead?
  • So that's testing wrapped up for the year. Anyone taking a punt on Max for the title?

I don't really know what to make of Mercedes after testing, but I'm hoping that if they are still ahead of the game then at least they won't be as far ahead as they have been in recent years.

I'd love to see a really good battle for the title between Lewis and Max, with perhaps Leclerc and maybe even a McLaren throwing in the odd surprise race victory to mix things up.

Roll on the 28th!  =)
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Red Bull look like the team to beat, and Mercedes look like they’re in a lot of trouble.  They didn’t show anything over the past 3 days to suggest fundamental underlying pace.

Aside from that, McLaren and Alpine both look strong and Alonso appears to be as murderously fast as ever.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Cols said:
    Red Bull look like the team to beat, and Mercedes look like they’re in a lot of trouble.  They didn’t show anything over the past 3 days to suggest fundamental underlying pace.

Aside from that, McLaren and Alpine both look strong and Alonso appears to be as murderously fast as ever.
    I don't buy that. Bottas had the second quickest lap overall, and Mercedes always sandbag in testing. It certainly looks closer than the last couple of seasons, but Merc will be there or thereabouts. Hey, maybe we'll get a title fight involving more than 1 team!!  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I agree that its difficult to tell what the Mercedes is really like at this stage due to previous years of running the engine conservatively in testing.  What is nice to see is the progress the mid range teams have made.  The Alpha Tauri looked good, and Kimi drove the Alfa higher up the finish position than I was expecting.    Whilst I want to see Lewis get another championship  hope its a close battle this year.  

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    The only reliable conclusion that can be drawn from testing is who managed to get laps in and who didn’t. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    I’d put a few £ on Norris grabbing a few podiums this year 
  • TimmyO said:
    The only reliable conclusion that can be drawn from testing is who managed to get laps in and who didn’t. 
    Oh I dunno, I reckon I can reliability conclude that the Haas car is gonna be an absolute dog. Again.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    edited March 2021
    Cols said:

I don't buy that. Bottas had the second quickest lap overall, and Mercedes always sandbag in testing. It certainly looks closer than the last couple of seasons, but Merc will be there or thereabouts. Hey, maybe we'll get a title fight involving more than 1 team!
    Errr... no he didn’t.

Yuki Tsunoda had the second fastest time over all 3 days of testing.  The fastest Mercedes was Hamilton in P5, more than a second off Verstappen and needing to use the soft tyre (against Max’s medium) to get that close.

Now, it could be that Mercedes have produced such an outstanding car that they didn’t actually need to go testing after all.  Certainly it would be absolutely hilarious to spend 3 days pretending to have mechanical troubles galore and a twitchy, evil-tempered car.  Imagine the looks on everyone else’s faces when they turn up at the first race and blow everyone else into the weeds!

Sadly, I don’t think that’ll be the case.  I’ll be surprised if Merc are a second off the pace by the time they get to first practice, but they’re definitely on the back foot.
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 212
    edited March 2021
    Have to say the Mercedes really looked quite a handful during the qualifying runs. Bet it was filled with lots of fuel and all will be good in a few weeks time.

I feel the mid field battle will be epic in the final year of these regulations, especially now the Ferrari powered cars seem to have a good straight line speed again. Can McLaren, Aston Marton, Alpine and Ferrari even challenge Red Bull at times...? I think Mercedes will be out of reach still.
    edited March 2021
    Ah, you're right - sorry! That must have been a single session timesheet I was reading. 

But still, Ham's best op lap was 5th overall, which is similar to last year. Granted a bit further behind Max in pure time, but you can't read much into that level of detail. It certainly seems as if the Merc has got more twitchy and the RB less so, but who knows. Ideally I'd like to see Hamilton get his 8th with a hard title fight, then retire and bask in the glory of dominating an entire era of F1 and, you know... let someone else have a go!

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12244543/f1-testing-2021-the-fastest-laps-and-mileage-charts-for-each-team-as-pre-season-starts-in-bahrain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Formula_One_pre-season_testing

Minor update on testing times - apparently Tsunoda's DRS was opening 150 yards before everyone else's, so his Mercedes-beating times can probably ignored :D 

Also I need to get a formal thread going for the Fantasy thing. Only 10 days till first race!! 
  • Minor update on testing times - apparently Tsunoda's DRS was opening 150 yards before everyone else's, so his Mercedes-beating times can probably ignored :D 

Also I need to get a formal thread going for the Fantasy thing. Only 10 days till first race!! 
    To be fair to to Tsunoda, that could have been balanced out by the fact the poor little lad apparently can't reach the pedals properly!  ;)

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/62694/tsunoda-reveals-he-requires-special-pedal-kit-with-alphatauri/ ;

(I'd completely forgotten about the Fantasy F1 thing!)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Anyone know how Alonso got on against his team mate? I haven't seen any times.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    This gives a good idea of how tough racing for 2hours must be from a drivers perspective - I got tired and dizzy watching one lap!

https://youtu.be/hK9Ix7x9s6k?t=98
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • sammysabersammysaber Frets: 706
    Very well indeed on the same tyres on different days - times posted below : 

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12244543/f1-testing-2021-the-fastest-laps-and-mileage-charts-for-each-team-after-pre-season-in-bahrain

• DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3753
    edited March 2021
    New Jeddah street circuit for the Saudi GP:

Due to be the second longest circuit on the calendar after Spa. Predicted average speed of 250km/h so brutally fast. Doesn't look there'll be many long braking zones for overtaking though....

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Very well indeed on the same tyres on different days - times posted below : 

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12244543/f1-testing-2021-the-fastest-laps-and-mileage-charts-for-each-team-after-pre-season-in-bahrain

Cheers!

Yes, he did very well, and so did George Russell. Very surprised the Mercs were not at the top, though. WTF happened to Vettel?