PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    @Jonathangus ; reminded me I promise Chernobyl & Pripyat pics...

Original thread here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/46340/chernobyl-now-with-pics/

Chernobyl

Duga 3 Radar Array Chernobyl
    The road to Chernobyl
    Radiation Level

Pripyat Sign

This was floor 13 of the tallest building, and really quite a beautiful view, in a strange way.

Pripyat
    This was the top - something like 24 storeys iirc

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Awesome pics @stickyfiddle ;. I mean, they’re of a grim subject when you think about the circumstances behind them, but the atmosphere you’ve captured is amazing.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •  @Brio your shot may fall outside the "last 12 months" rule, but it's still a cracking picture! Did you actually lie down to take it? :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    edited March 2021
    Yep. It was the day when that weird Saharan dust blew 8nto London. I walked into Leadenhall Market for lunch and when I came out the sky was totally orange. All the office workers out taking shots.
     I cheated a bit. The original wasn’t quite like that. It was in my head though.
    The original, shot dark deliberately to give some sky texture. Shot with post processing in mind.
    https://flic.kr/p/MCBzph

I shot a lot that day here are a few more,
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/146501625@N06/x04Q66

This is my favourite London shot. You won’t believe the original.
    https://flic.kr/p/XPGs83

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brio said:
    Yep. It was the day when that weird Saharan dust blew 8nto London. I walked into Leadenhall Market for lunch and when I came out the sky was totally orange. All the office workers out taking shots.
     I cheated a bit. The original wasn’t quite like that. It was in my head though.
    The original, shot dark deliberately to give some sky texture. Shot with post processing in mind.
    https://flic.kr/p/MCBzph

I shot a lot that day here are a few more,
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/146501625@N06/x04Q66

This is my favourite London shot. You won’t believe the original.
    https://flic.kr/p/XPGs83

I like the original as well actually! That Millenium Bridge shot is very cool. Nice shots dude! I was looking through your flickr earlier - in particular, ogling the guitar on the left in your "lockdown rig" shot - what is it?

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    A Mania thing I found on a pub wall in Weymouth that a local guy was flogging.
    Crap pickups but great wood and a good build. Other photos on the flickr.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brio said:

I really like that!

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    @stickyfiddle ;

I went to Belarus for Christmas and the plan was then to come home via Ukraine and of course my main purpose was to visit the Chernobyl site. But then Belarus went on Ukraines red list and I ended up in the States.

Your pics have strengthened my resolve!

In Belarus, the people I met were staggered that I would want to visit there. The family of my girlfriends daughter in law were Belarusians who fled when the accident happened. They have always been concerned that it would affect the DIL's fertility and ability to produce a healthy child. They see it very different to us, can't see at all why it's become a tourist attraction.

Recently the DIL did give birth to a healthy child, so I'm hoping the next time I visit they will feel more relaxed about it!

Not only that Belarus has just opened a new nuclear power station which has already had problems and is in the hands of a president who makes Trump look like a level headed wise old sage.

They can't understand why the west isn't concerned about such a maniac on their doorstep and fear an accident is a when, not an if. 
  • I've got an idea for this month... going to try & set something up over the weekend.

Bought myself a new (well, second-hand from the ‘Bay) Panasonic FZ2000 last night, so I’m looking forward to that arriving and having a play with a few of the things my FZ82 can’t do :)

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I've got an idea for this month... going to try & set something up over the weekend.

Bought myself a new (well, second-hand from the ‘Bay) Panasonic FZ2000 last night, so I’m looking forward to that arriving and having a play with a few of the things my FZ82 can’t do :)
    Nice, I do fancy a bridge camera, for some further reach.  Let us know how it goes.
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    Brio said:

I really like that!
    Me too! A little too pointy for me but it’s still rather nice

• I've got an idea for this month... going to try & set something up over the weekend.

Nice, I do fancy a bridge camera, for some further reach.  Let us know how it goes.

I have the FZ82 at the moment and the zoom is fantastic - 20-1200mm. Considering the sensor is only about the same size as in my iPhone the low light performance is pretty good, too. The main reasons I wanted to get a "better" camera were a manual focussing ring (manual focussing is done with buttons on the FZ82 and I really don't like it), and longer minimum shutter time - on the FZ82 it's only 4 seconds, and I really want to try some long exposure stuff with the sea.

I strongly suspect that the FZ82 will be for sale soon... you never know: you might end up buying another camera off me! :lol:

• My different angle is my bedroom lights. I see them all the time, but this is how they look if I lie in bed the other way round :)

• *** Last week to enter this month's competition, everyone :) ***

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
    edited March 2021
    I have gone for an attempt to create a photographic Edward Hopper palette. Twilight in my attic - shadows and illuminations bouncing across the ceiling. Couple of copies of Mojo and my Tele on the bed...
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Been racking my brains about this one, and realised today that something's been staring me in the face.  Got a first draft ready to go, but hoping the sun's going to come out...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Been racking my brains about this one, and realised today that something's been staring me in the face.  Got a first draft ready to go, but hoping the sun's going to come out...
    ...and of course, I typed that, and the clouds rolled in.  Oh well.

Anyway, mine is a multi-stem sycamore tree in my back yard which we've been looking at having taken down.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Been racking my brains about this one, and realised today that something's been staring me in the face.  Got a first draft ready to go, but hoping the sun's going to come out...
    ...and of course, I typed that, and the clouds rolled in.  Oh well.

Anyway, mine is a multi-stem sycamore tree in my back yard which we've been looking at having taken down.
    Nice shot :)

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Not been around much as I've been ill ...

I've opted for mundane - the view from my home office of my neighbour's chimney stack. I see it every day.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Phew! Just sneaked in a last minute entry.

@Shrews what happened to your entry? It's gone missing on my computer.