Yamaha BB1200PH Peter Hook Signature Bass

What's Hot
SnapSnap Frets: 6256
Anyone played one of these rare beasts, or got one?

I'm kicking myself, hadn't realised just how limited they were. Hoping for a reissue as they look brilliant and it got a storming review in Bass Player.

Good value too.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    If the PH signature is unavailable, most of its salient features could be achieved by modifying a regular Yamaha BB. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    true, but the 1200 isn't that easy to find either, is it? I'd be interested to hear someone's experience first hadn of either the PH sig or a regular 1200 too.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I had a mate who I used to jam with at Uni who had an 80's BB1200. It was a stunning bass. Only one pickup, but the woods used and construction were fabulous, and it was lovely to play and sounded great.

I tried to buy one a while back, but ended up with a 80's BB1100s, which has two pickups and active EQ but with a bolt on neck. It's still a great bass, but the though necks on the 1200's and higher are a work of art and I'd love to own one one day. 
    The PH sig has a 6 screw bolt on neck, and the strings are through body, with ferrules right on the edge of the body too. All designed to improve sustain. Body is a 3 layer maple/alder sandwich, and the circuit is active, single split coil, but with a bypass option too. Reviews say it has cracking clarity and a lot of sustain, which makes sense given his style of playing. They were on sale for 899, and I didn't get my finger out in time. V frustrating.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    That sounds like a very different bass to the BB1200 I played. It looked like the one here w/ through neck construction....

BB-1200 - Guitars & Basses - Display collection - INNOVATION ROAD - Yamaha Corporation

Great basses, I think the shape is perfect, and feels even better with the through neck. 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Well if you want one, Yamaha Music London apparently have one. Not showing on the website but I spoke to my sales guys here and they say theres one there. Worth a call. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

cheers Ross
    Well if you want one, Yamaha Music London apparently have one. Not showing on the website but I spoke to my sales guys here and they say theres one there. Worth a call. 
    I bought it late Friday, so thanks very much for this tip Ross, really thanks, I'd been hoping so much to get one of these, he's poss my favourite bassist. It was the last of only 30 available in the UK. Should be arriving anytime now. Full review will of course follow!!

quick demo, it's a fantastic bass, a bit blown away tbh