I need a car (I’m less fussy than Emp so this thread won’t be 100 pages)

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited March 2021
    joneve said:
    I wouldn't be put off by a replacement engine.  In some ways it's good as you know it's not been run for the last few years without a proper service and oil change.  Any other car that age might not have been well maintained. Having a service history is no guarantee that things have actually been done.  Some garages will say they have done things and won't have actually done them.  Even if they do them, they might use cheap oil or parts.

I wouldn't want to pay extra for it because of the new engine though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31491
    I haven't read any of this thread because car threads are too boring, I'm just helping bump it on its way to 100 pages. 
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    crunchman said:
    joneve said:
    I wouldn't be put off by a replacement engine.  In some ways it's good as you know it's not been run for the last few years without a proper service and oil change.  Any other car that age might not have been well maintained. Having a service history is no guarantee that things have actually been done.  Some garages will say they have done things and won't have actually done them.  Even if they do them, they might use cheap oil or parts.

I wouldn't want to pay extra for it because of the new engine though.
    Cheers. That’s the thing, it’s priced in line with other focuses (Focus-I?) the same age, which is what caused a bit of suspicion. 

There’s another one that’s dickhead red, 2014 (63 plate), 70k and 2 owners which seems in good nick too. 

I was wondering why Ford focuses of 2012/13 were priced so much lower than Leon’s of similar age but with a much better spec than the Leon for the money. It’s probably a combination of the fact there’s approx 1 billion focuses around and that the timing belt change when the time comes is about double the price of a normal timing/cam belt change and looking around online, seems to come in at approx 800-1000 quid :-|

But car costs £1500 less than a Leon with a worse spec sooo swings and roundabouts I suppose. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I seem to remember Ford having a recall of the 1.0 eco boost engine round about that year due to coolant pipe failure and engines overheating. Most were modified under warranty. Could be the reason it had a new engine if it missed the recall.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Price of this seems good;

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102269513596

good like, I am willing to pull the trigger good. Comes with lots of nice extras. Their pricing of all their cars seem to be on the low side, not sure if a bad thing or not.

free delivery, and can have it bought to my house to check and test drive for a £500 holding deposit, which will get refunded if the car isn’t for us. 

Anything I need to be concerned about with the newer TSI engines? 

I’ve talked myself out of buying a focus because of the cost of having to change the timing belt at 10 years/150k as that’ll need doing inside 18 months of purchase. 

As a side note, anything I should be concerned about in similar regard, with 2016/17 Astra’s that have the similar eco flex engine??
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    Just ask them to divulge the detail of the "service history".

It's probably not "full" (otherwise they'd have stated that), nor main dealer (ditto).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    So, just to update, it looks as if we’ll be agreeing to buy one of two Skoda Rapid in the coming days.

one is black with higher mileage, sports seats a bit of a gruntier engine but a bit midlife crisis-y. The other is blue rinse blue, 85bhp (as opposed to 105bhp) and the more sensible option, so as long as video viewing goes well it’ll be that one that we get delivered. 

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Not sure if you’re going for a manual or auto, but if auto make sure you have the DSG gearbox serviced at the right intervals.

the DSG gearbox and the Ford Powershift are some what similar and cost an absolute fortune to repair if it goes. I had to get rid of my Mondeo titanium X because I overlooked the gearbox service. Would’ve cost £3,500 to repair.
    Stevepage said:
    Not sure if you’re going for a manual or auto, but if auto make sure you have the DSG gearbox serviced at the right intervals.

the DSG gearbox and the Ford Powershift are some what similar and cost an absolute fortune to repair if it goes. I had to get rid of my Mondeo titanium X because I overlooked the gearbox service. Would’ve cost £3,500 to repair.
    Manual 1.2TSI. We have a DSG box on our Kodiaq but fortunately we’ve had it from new so it’s been serviced regularly. 
    Well, I'm just waiting for final "all inclusive" price including delivery, but all-but committed to buying the Blue Rinse Mobile with a hairdryer engine from a place in Wakefield. 

https://www.thetradecaroutletossett.co.uk/used-cars/skoda-rapid-1-2-tsi-se-connect-5dr-ossett-202102098862404

Ticks all the boxes and is a VAG TSI engine with less than 52k on it (14 plate), so should hopefully run for a good while if I look after it. 

Not as cool looking as the Black Edition one with Sports Seats and BHP that is over 100, but they're doing a complete re-spray of the bonnet to remove all the stone chips included in the price, and there's two other very minor scratches which they'll be touching up. And my wife/FIL are probably right when they said the black sports one screams "a bit mid life crisis" and "feels like you're trying to polish a turd" :D so I might as well go for the unassuming old man car, since it's really just to get me to work and back. Interior looks like it's never been sat in, and no dog or smoke evidence.

I'm somewhat disappointed this thread only made it to 3 pages, but life goes on. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5457
    4 pages now @joneve and I didn't think we'd end up at a Skoda. Great that you've found a car that suits you, you'll have run this one in to the ground and bought another one by the time Emp makes his mind up.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26898
    I bloody love my DSG. I'd be wary of an older or high-mileage one, or any without a service history, but it's lovely when it works :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    DiscoStu said:
    4 pages now @joneve and I didn't think we'd end up at a Skoda. Great that you've found a car that suits you, you'll have run this one in to the ground and bought another one by the time Emp makes his mind up.
    I don’t know why we didn’t consider one earlier since our main car is a Skoda Kodiaq which we love. The Rapid isn’t quite as luxurious (!) but should be fine for our requirements and are a bigger car than they look so gives some practicality too. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5457
    joneve said:
    DiscoStu said:
    I don’t know why we didn’t consider one earlier since our main car is a Skoda Kodiaq which we love. The Rapid isn’t quite as luxurious (!) but should be fine for our requirements and are a bigger car than they look so gives some practicality too. 
    Ideal then!
    I bloody love my DSG. I'd be wary of an older or high-mileage one, or any without a service history, but it's lovely when it works :)
    Yea, our DSG'd Kodiaq is lovely. Going to be weird driving a manual again - not had to do that for 4 or 5 years now! 

DiscoStu said:
    joneve said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Ideal then!
    Yessir. It's basically the same as the old Seat Toldeo's from 01-05 I think. Tardis-like boot, plenty of space, but no real frills. I loved my Toledo, partly because of the 150bhp diesel engine it had. But it ran like a dream and ran FOREVER, so hopefully we'll get a similar experience with the Rapid (minus being able to have any sort of acceleration :D )
    The Blue Rinse mobile will be delivered via transporter to my Front Door on Thursday morning. It's taxed, insured and I'm rather excited....I'm sure this excitement will wane as soon as I get in and try to accelerate up the hill towards the roundabout from my house and have zero power haha..

but seriously, I am rather excited at having a car that's "mine" rather than sharing the family beast. Wife moans about me changing the radio over from Radio 1 in the Kodiaq, so I can just listen to whatever I like and she can no longer moan about it. 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1743
    @joneve I had a 13 plate Rapid in the same colour as my first company car until 2018.

It was nothing short of brilliant. I couldn't fault it and much prefer it to my current car which is an A3

OK mine was the diesel version whereas yours is the petrol, but i gave mine back with over 150k on the clock. During it's time with me the only thing that went wrong was the water pump needed replacing but it was due a cambelt service anyway.

I took that car from Dorset to Erperhiede in Belgium and back on a  single tank of fuel - roughly 800 miles.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    gubble said:
    @joneve I had a 13 plate Rapid in the same colour as my first company car until 2018.

It was nothing short of brilliant. I couldn't fault it and much prefer it to my current car which is an A3

OK mine was the diesel version whereas yours is the petrol, but i gave mine back with over 150k on the clock. During it's time with me the only thing that went wrong was the water pump needed replacing but it was due a cambelt service anyway.

I took that car from Dorset to Erperhiede in Belgium and back on a  single tank of fuel - roughly 800 miles.
    This is encouraging! Thanks. I'm sure the lack of power won't be *that* bad and ultimately it's only going to be used to get me 15 miles to work and back (via dropping the boy at Nursery) which is mostly motorway cruising. So it's not like I will need it to do some fun driving around some windy country roads. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    I’m sure half of you will be thrilled to discover I have an unbelievably annoying rattle somewhere under the dashboard in my Civic.

I’ve now ripped out half of the interior, and it’s still there!!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.