Who do we like for hardware bits and bobs?

What's Hot

Comments

• @sixstringsupplies did you recently switch to Royal Mail tracked 48 (as opposed to untracked first class) recently? I could have sworn that was an option before so just checking I'm not going mad! :)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    @sixstringsupplies did you recently switch to Royal Mail tracked 48 (as opposed to untracked first class) recently? I could have sworn that was an option before so just checking I'm not going mad! :)
    yes mate. Royal Mail are well and truly swamped with COVID/Lockdown/Black Friday and in some circumstances First Class and First Class Signed For is taking up to 10 days to arrive...naturally when an order runs late in the post, everyone always asks for a tracking number, First Class is untracked as you say.

So currently we offer Tracked 48 or DHL Express, both are fully tracked. BUT even Tracked 48 is taking up to 5 days in rare circumstances. Cant wait for things to go back to normal.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • @sixstringsupplies did you recently switch to Royal Mail tracked 48 (as opposed to untracked first class) recently? I could have sworn that was an option before so just checking I'm not going mad! :)
    yes mate. Royal Mail are well and truly swamped with COVID/Lockdown/Black Friday and in some circumstances First Class and First Class Signed For is taking up to 10 days to arrive...naturally when an order runs late in the post, everyone always asks for a tracking number, First Class is untracked as you say.

So currently we offer Tracked 48 or DHL Express, both are fully tracked. BUT even Tracked 48 is taking up to 5 days in rare circumstances. Cant wait for things to go back to normal.
    Thought that was the case buddy. I've had second class stuff turn up after 2 weeks, and even 1st class isn't immune as you said. Hopefully it calms down after Xmas!
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 157
    Thumbs up for Six String Supplies, I am Uber fussy when it comes to pot specs and their Premium pots are the biz. Great comms and delivery too.
    and an unnecessary pic showing their pots to brighten up things.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have used Toneriders on a few Tele's, Hot Classics are a personal fave, also Warman do a great range of good pickups for al applications, you can even email Josie personally, they are good prices too, I have used their single coil sized hum buckers a few times, they rock
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've got Tonerider City Limits neck & middle pickups on a partscaster - they are really good! (It's got a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker at the bridge).

BTN Music (https://www.btnmusic.co.uk/ ) are great for parts; I've bought several Hipshot eXtenders from them and have had several chats at shows and on the phone (getting special-order eXtenders for Rickenbacker basses).
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Mike58 said:
    Thumbs up for Six String Supplies, I am Uber fussy when it comes to pot specs and their Premium pots are the biz. Great comms and delivery too.

thanks for the recommendation @Mike58 that pickguard looks superb!
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Any place in UK I can buy all screws I need with a consistent same colour and quality plating on all of them ?

I need all bits in gold:
    Humbucker pole screws
    Humbucker adjusting screws ( M3 thread )
    Humbucker rings screws 

I have found all I need on either eBay or different online shops , but non of them list everything at one place and so the plating  colour matching is an issue . 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    AllParts? Assuming they have stock
    AllParts? Assuming they have stock
    I haven't tried them yet . I'll have a look . Thanks @SteveRobinson ;
    I got slightly confused with humbuckers screws  . They were 3/48UNC rather than M3 . All sorted though and got everything from Allparts .
    Hopefully good quality .
  • Discovered crimsonguitars.com this morning having spent an hour struggling to find a triangular file that had safe edges on the corners. Interesting site.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1451
    Hi,
    My newest guitar (Vintage VS6) has an interestingly shaped truss rod cover that also happens to be knackered. It's shield-like trc, similar in size to some PRS but with three holes. I have had a look at all the suggestions you've thrown here (lots of new bookmarks!) but could not find anything suitable, preferably chrome/steel. Any idea where I could find something like that?
    Cheers,
    Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Can anyone recommend an affordable soldering station and third hand? Specifically, I want to try building some effects pedals again, likely from fuzz dog kits. I don't think that needs anything mega powerful :) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    @ThePrettyDamned ;

Suggest a variable temp soldering station, and some very fine tips.  You can use the big spade tips for soldering guitar pots, but they're not much help for FuzzDog circuit boards.  

Mine is old, so doubt it's still made/available.  Decide on how much you want to spend and check CPC Farnell for the options.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    @ThePrettyDamned ;

Suggest a variable temp soldering station, and some very fine tips.  You can use the big spade tips for soldering guitar pots, but they're not much help for FuzzDog circuit boards.  

Mine is old, so doubt it's still made/available.  Decide on how much you want to spend and check CPC Farnell for the options.
    Ta. Was looking at this draper one but seems too cheap to be true!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-61478-40W-Soldering-Station/dp/B010823P38/ref=asc_df_B010823P38/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=211160703339&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7846459955801564940&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9050370&hvtargid=pla-420982374679&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Will check CPC :) 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1398
    I got a Tilswall Solder Station off Amazon for £40. Its a rebrand of a model Big Clive was complimentary of. All the tips you need, variable temp and a quick heat up time.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Mike58 said:

That looks amazing! So neat and perfect. My soldering is a bloody disaster! I need to get better ...

No grounding to the pot cases? Is that because of the metal plate that everything is sitting on?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    axisus said:

No grounding to the pot cases? Is that because of the metal plate that everything is sitting on?
    The pot cases are not "ground" as such - just a convenient place to connect several wires in a smallish control cavity. Yes, they are used as a common ground point, but it's not necessary if some other point is used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Another vote for @Sixstringsupplies. ; Some time ago I bought a pre-wired Les Paul wiring kit/harness for my Epi LP.  The guitar, which is close on twenty years old, has been modified extensively down the years.  The most significant mods are replacement machines and SD pickups.  On fitting the replacement electrics, the guitar controls are now useful [in that 5 is different to 7 on the knob] and the guitar sounds better.  Not the cheapest way of upgrading the electrics but definitely the simplest way of doing so.  And, as I suspect, the harness is tested before dispatch, it is always going to work as designed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum