Sabine Schmitz

What's Hot
jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
Died today after a 3 year battle with cancer. She was wonderfully funny and a breath of fresh air (and the only real highlight) on the Top Gear reboot back in 2016. 

What a shitter :( 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wibblewibble Frets: 1083
    RIP Queen of the Nürburgring. I didn't realise she'd been fighting cancer :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619
    Not Sabine too...

Totally agree, I love all the features with her in it. She was awesome. Funny with a confidence level off the charts. An actual role model. 

I was always bemused why she didn’t feature more in TG. I guess this could be why. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Oh no that's terrible.

I did wonder why they hadn't included her in the recent Top Gear and I guess that explains it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    Ah, fuck :(

She was brilliant, not least for the entertaining way she repeatedly crapped all over the TG team with a mixture of exasperation and condescension.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    wibble said:
    RIP Queen of the Nürburgring. I didn't realise she'd been fighting cancer :(

Niether did I,
    Ah, fuck :(

She was brilliant, not least for the entertaining way she repeatedly crapped all over the TG team with a mixture of exasperation and condescension.
    Indeed

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Absolutely heartbreaking. She always seemed to be absolutely one of the good people. I recall hearing she was undergoing treatment but it was so long ago I assumed she was ok. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    She was great. Sad news.
    Call me Dave.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Proper shocked to read the headline this morning.  Always smiling. Genuine racing legend who will be so linked to Nurburgring.

• GrampaGrampa Frets: 938
    edited March 2021
    I usually have absolutely no idea who most of the people mentioned in this section are but Sabine Schmitz was an absolute legend and a wonderfully entertaining young lady. Not to mention she kicked the arse of just about every would be Schumacher at the 'Ring'. Will be sadly missed by so many.
    RIP
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    Just read this, she was fantastic and so bloody typical German as well. I hope Top Gear and Grand Tour respond.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18378
    edited March 2021
    Very shocked by this sad news. Sabine was a great driver & presenter with a better sense of humour & attitude than any of the male 'stars'. RIP
    Edit Just heard from one of my Geordie mates. "Loved it that time when Chris Evans had to gerroot the car and spew when she was deein ah bit propper murterin like."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Ah bugger that’s very sad. She was  good on TG, took the three stooges down a few pegs. Must admit I hadn’t realised she was suffering with cancer.
    RIP. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Shit!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    Very sad - again, didn`t know she was ill, but diagnosed in 2017 and only cancelled first race in July 2020 it seems! Prob tells you all about her character and why she was so well liked!

Hoping some of that spare driving talent now released back into the cosmos finds its way to the odd middle aged person over here - but doubtful! 

:-(
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    really sorry to hear this sad news, a real legend of the motorsport world, RIP Sabine.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited March 2021
    Really sad news - she came across as a wonderful, energetic person who was full of life.

Genuinely upset by this. RIP.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    edited March 2021
    Gutted . . . Top Gear at its very best without the tree stooges . . . What a professional, no agenda, just a genuine love of driving . . . . . . If I remember rightly she beat that idiot Clarksons time around the Nurburgring in a Transit Van in 2004  . . .
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited March 2021
    maw4neu said:
    Gutted . . . Top Gear at its very best without the tree stooges . . . What a professional, no agenda, just a genuine love of driving . . . . . . If I remember rightly she beat that idiot Clarksons time around the Nurburgring in a Transit Van in 2004  . . .
    Not quite, but close....IIRC about 8 seconds off...

Legend RIP....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I was surprisingly struck by the news.  She was a real force and the real deal. I could see that after seeing her only a couple of times. 
  • Just read this, she was fantastic and so bloody typical German as well. I hope Top Gear and Grand Tour respond.
    Be very surprised if they don't but I doubt they will this week, I'm sure the episodes are recorded too far in advance for something to be included this week. (Happy to be proven wrong...)

She was often the best thing on the entire series, never mind the programme.

The Guardian had an extraordinary video taken from her car on one of her races (halfway down the page - there's some good Murray Walker and Marvin Hagler stuff on this page too)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/mar/18/memories-of-murray-walker-sabine-schmitz-and-marvelous-marvin-hagler

If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.