Julian Lage - Saint Rose - new track

RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
From his forthcoming album 'Squint' a new track 'Saint Rose'

I like it, great tone from, presumably, his old Blackguard Tele and his Champ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Frantic1Frantic1 Frets: 37
    There's some interesting gubbings going on in there......it's a bit out there...almost if he's taking the piss.but i like it..thanks for Flagging this up Randall.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Frantic1 said:
    There's some interesting gubbings going on in there......it's a bit out there...almost if he's taking the piss.but i like it..thanks for Flagging this up Randall.
    It does sound a bit raggedy and improvised in places, definitely reminiscent of Jim Campilongo.

He may be playing his new signature Collings, which looks quite an interesting guitar.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I love his music. Such a deft touch and a killer tone. Thanks for posting this up.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Frantic1 said:
    Think pastiche is the word. Not taking the piss but more an affectionate take and expansion of a style (60's surf?) that inspired him.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    If this is the Gretschy Collings then I think its a nice move, better tone than most of the tele stuff.

He gets more raw at time goes by

When I saw him in 2010 it was an acoustic L5 with an acoustic group.

2019 was the trio with tele and some crazy skronk playing at times, hardly mellow.

One of my favourite players and a nice guy
    If this is the Gretschy Collings then I think its a nice move, better tone than most of the tele stuff.

He gets more raw at time goes by

When I saw him in 2010 it was an acoustic L5 with an acoustic group.

2019 was the trio with tele and some crazy skronk playing at times, hardly mellow.

One of my favourite players and a nice guy
    Have you seen the price is his Collings sig? £6K

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/collings-470-jl-antiqued-blonde.htm

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    ^^^ it is mad yeah
  • Not sure it’s a champ...
    From bits online, sounds to have moved on from his 50’s kick to a mid 60’s sound. Black panel deluxe, and was using some 60’s brown panel amps live closer to the time of recording. Though he has been using his 50’s goldtop a fair amount these days too.
    Think the last album was all recorded with a 56 duo jet through a Gibson BR-6 instead of the tele/ champ too.
    Not sure it’s a champ...
    From bits online, sounds to have moved on from his 50’s kick to a mid 60’s sound. Black panel deluxe, and was using some 60’s brown panel amps live closer to the time of recording. Though he has been using his 50’s goldtop a fair amount these days too.
    Think the last album was all recorded with a 56 duo jet through a Gibson BR-6 instead of the tele/ champ too.
    Yeah I read that after posting above, he's deffo on the ever-changing gear tone journey but somehow still sounds like Julian Lage.

• Very true. the gear certainly adds to the overall tone. But the phrasing, note choice, and dynamics are all in the player. Footage of him playing through what looks like a hot rod deluxe in Paris and he still has his sound.

• Recent interview with Lage giving some insight into the new album, and gear etc.