If you like that, you're an idiot....

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5618
    Tribalism innit. Been around forever, but it’s become a big problem with everything over the past decade or so - guitarists are certainly not immune and “brand loyalty” is still a big driver of sales - in some ways, it helps companies to foster that kind of blind belief. 

I love making fun of products I hate but I try to never make it personal. Odds are loads of people playing the things I don’t like are being way more creative with them than I’d ever be even with the stuff I do like, and power to them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903
    randella said:
    "The answer to a question no-one asked" is a phrase I've seen applied to various products down the years - the one that springs to mind most vividly is the iPad. 
    I said that when the ipad came out.  'A laptop with no keys, great!'

I'm currently on my third one  :)

Anyway, I like these Acoustasonic, the Tele one could be great for my blues project.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    Nought queer as folk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    You've asked a question to which nobody has the answer. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20518
    p90fool said:
    But which everyone will still have a go at answering  ;)
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    mrkb said:
    I'm not bothered by the comments, I think the old school knitted jumper wearing acoustic lovers fear change, heres a song they can play on their old school acoustics to help overcome those feelings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjZ7f2Gib9E
    That is possibly the finest thing I've seen in a very long time.

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3021
    p90fool said:
    Which is preferable to having an answer nobody must question... ;)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    Bigsby said:
    p90fool said:
    Which is preferable to having an answer nobody must question... ;)
    AKA the 'Coronavirus' section ;)
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 1016
    edited March 2021
    Lewy said:
    It doesn't seem like good natured ribbing that you might see applied to things like PRSs. There's no apparent humour or banter to it.
    Strangely as a PRS owner I fail to see any apparent humour in the never ending inane dentist quips, usually from members who have never even owned a PRS, let alone lowered themselves down far enough from their high horses to actually try one.

Wish I could say I'm a dentist, but sadly I'm not and have to save extremely hard to afford even something from the SE series.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5101
    Bigsby said:
    Lewy said:

or the more subtle "That's an answer to a problem nobody has" 
    That, and it's common variant "...a solution to a problem that doesn't exist" is one of the non-arguments I find particularly annoying: Most things began as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Take the World Wide Web; with it's multitude of ways to create lists and tables, it was created as a method to enable scientists to share information, something they'd been happily doing since the birth of science. I wonder how many scientists sat back from thumbing through the latest peer-reviewed copy of 'What Scientist' to say, "You're wasting your time Tim, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist".

Actually, it provided a way to access information interactively, which had not existed before.

(The concept had been envisaged many years before digital computers existed.)
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1654
    Some people are just...uptight.

And if they don’t understand something, feel the need to ridicule it as a solution (in the hope it will go away).

Sadly, this didn’t work in 2016 with that big question we were asked.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9082
    Grampa said:
    Strangely as a PRS owner I fail to see any apparent humour in the never ending inane dentist quips, usually from members who have never even owned a PRS, let alone lowered themselves down far enough from their high horses to actually try one.
    It ranks with quips about BMW drivers. All it does is make the speaker look bigoted.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    Roland said:
    Grampa said:
    It ranks with quips about BMW drivers. All it does is make the speaker look bigoted.
    It seems to me that the dentist jokes have tailed off a bit recently and there's even been an increase in PRS admiration.  Mind you, I could've bought a PRS for the amount I've spent on dental treatment in the last six months.
  • Until I joined this forum I did not realise that my socio-economic class, my level of musicianship, how much I have gigged, my employment and my taste in decor, could all be judged by the brand of guitar I bought.  Honestly, no idea.
    I mentioned something like this before and was told to 'Get orf my laaand' or something like that.

With the levels of criticism and condescension in some of the threads I would not consider posting anything here about my gear or playing.

Contrapuntally speaking I have also had some great chats with members her but all by private messaging and not in the public threads.

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1654
    Until I joined this forum I did not realise that my socio-economic class, my level of musicianship, how much I have gigged, my employment and my taste in decor, could all be judged by the brand of guitar I bought.  Honestly, no idea.
    I mentioned something like this before and was told to 'Get orf my laaand' or something like that.

With the levels of criticism and condescension in some of the threads I would not consider posting anything here about my gear or playing.

Contrapuntally speaking I have also had some great chats with members her but all by private messaging and not in the public threads.

That is such a shame.

I do very little social media, and years ago vowed not to post on forums, as they seemed to be inhabited by people scoring points (these were band forums where it seemed to be a competition as to who was the biggest fan).

But I have found tFB to be pretty easy going on the whole. I certainly have very little confidence about my abilities and knowledge - however believe that everyone (and their viewpoint) is welcome if interested in guitars - without necessarily being judged.

That’s right isn’t it ??
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 876
    I suspect some people just don't do change well and just have a view that if it ain't one of their old classic designs it isn't a proper Fender.

I'm pretty much a traditionalist and can be guilty of failing in to that camp but I have warmed to the idea of the Acoustasonic range, not tried one yet though.
  • Ummm, I want one. Much more than I wanted the tele or Strat ones - a certain someone demonstrated the value of the concept to me back then but this new one is actually reeling me in... 

not sure what that makes me (not sure I care either) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    edited March 2021
    I suspect some people just don't do change well and just have a view that if it ain't one of their old classic designs it isn't a proper Fender.

I'm pretty much a traditionalist and can be guilty of failing in to that camp but I have warmed to the idea of the Acoustasonic range, not tried one yet though.
    That's not the problem I have with it - it's that I don't want modelled sounds and onboard distortion... I just want acoustic and electric sounds with the ability to blend them together. I also don't want the controls laid out like that with the switch in line with the knobs (one of the Tele's worst design features), and I'd prefer the bridge *not* to be a traditional shape.

I don't really like the inlaid top thing with the bare wood edges either, but I could live with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 876
    ICBM said:

That's not the problem I have with it - it's that I don't want modelled sounds and onboard distortion... I just want acoustic and electric sounds with the ability to blend them together. I also don't want the controls laid out like that with the switch in line with the knobs (one of the Tele's worst design features), and I'd prefer the bridge *not* to be a traditional shape.

I don't really like the inlaid top thing with the bare wood edges either, but I could live with it.
    Yeah I get that, basically it isn't for you and you have good reasoning, my comment (and perhaps I should have quoted) was a response to the OP's opener (and title).
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1314
    I don’t know why but I feel the need to comment on this thread but I’m going to anyway.

Firstly the guitar in question doesn’t seem to sound that good on any of the demos I’ve seen so far. If someone wants to buy one though I’ve no problem with that. 

I’ve played a fair few PRSs now, gigged one I borrowed years ago. They’re well made, I’m indifferent to their looks really, never played one yet I’ve wanted to own.

As for dentists, the singer in one of my covers bands is a dentist.....can play the guitar.....doesn’t own a PRS.