Metallica - Black Album Box Set / Reissue

What's Hot
BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
edited March 2021 in Music
Didn't want to derail the other Metallica thread so I thought I'd start a new thread.

This should be announced very very soon, anyone looking forward to it at all? I know I am, I can't wait actually! Wondering what it's going to contain, I also can't imagine a remaster sounding as good as the Black Album already does. However if it's as good a remaster as the other 4 it should sound brilliant none the less.

I was thinking perhaps some more doco footage, couple of live shows, the infamous demos from the singles. B sides and stuff, perhaps even some alternate mixes (it was remixed 3 times by all accounts!).

Anyway, fingers crossed we hear about it soon.

P.s. Any Metallica fans out there, check out the podcast, "Metal Up Your Podcast" it's great. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    30 years! Feeling old now. 

I was at sixth form when it came out, saw the NEC gig on that tour. Pivotal album for me, so keen to see what’s going to be in this set. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Yeah it's mental!!

The first album I heard by them was Justice (listening to it now actually), and it was an eye opener. To then hear the black album not long after was the key, lifelong Metallica nut after that. I didn't get to see them live until Donington 1995 (was too young before that according to my parents). That was a mental day, they are a live band, where it all makes most sense, one of the best days of my life. 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I was at Donnington ‘95 as well!
    Awesome!! That was a great day, made it to the front for Metallica, having braved a mental pit between Skid Row and Therapy, and then another one between Therapy and Metallica. Got smashed in the face with a bottle of suncream and was bleeding everywhere, didn't care, loved every minute.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    I was at Donnington ‘95 as well!
    Boromedic said:
    Awesome!! That was a great day, made it to the front for Metallica, having braved a mental pit between Skid Row and Therapy, and then another one between Therapy and Metallica. Got smashed in the face with a bottle of suncream and was bleeding everywhere, didn't care, loved every minute.
    That was a great gig. It rained piss the whole time!
    Hahaha, just a bit. My bath looked horrendous when I finally got in it.......

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    edited March 2021
    Maybe we'll get a reissue of the Year and a Half In the Life of Metallica documentary that was released back then. Used to have it on VHS and it was a right  Spinal Tap laugh. (Tap even made an appearance).

Always remember the band making fun of Jason for making sandwiches at a gig buffet, to take back to his hotel later. 
    Film maker "Jason you're a millionaire."
    Jason "I've got plans for those millions, and it aint for fucking sandwiches." Brilliant. 

Saw them in Manchester on that album tour. Was worried it was going to be cancelled. But by then James was playing guitar again, though was still wearing bandages on his arms. 

I'd love to hear a less poppy mix - ie one with the guitars louder and the vocals lower.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah I was thinking the same when I mentioned doco footage, kind of the Year and a Half thing with extras perhaps. 

James sure has had his share of accidents!!

I think it's pretty guitar heavy as is personally, they sound great especially on vinyl. I suppose we all hear differently :) I can't see them remixing it as they've not done that for the others, but if they have the old mixes they may release them, that would be cool, perhaps one of them might be more what you're after?

Can't wait and still no announcement!!

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    Maybe we'll get a reissue of the Year and a Half In the Life of Metallica documentary that was released back then. Used to have it on VHS and it was a right  Spinal Tap laugh. (Tap even made an appearance).

Always remember the band making fun of Jason for making sandwiches at a gig buffet, to take back to his hotel later. 
    Jason "I've got plans for those millions, and it aint for fucking sandwiches." Brilliant. 

Saw them in Manchester on that album tour. Was worried it was going to be cancelled. But by then James was playing guitar again, though was still wearing bandages on his arms. 

I'd love to hear a less poppy mix - ie one with the guitars louder and the vocals lower.

I really enjoyed the two parts of those documentaries, a bit of fun but a little bit of behind the curtain too

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    Hated the Bob Rock Metallica stuff, I think as I grew up on the first three albums, it all just sounded like pop music production by the Black album and so I lost interest.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4083
    Me too ,at the time I didn’t rate it as I was a huge fan of the early stuff  ,but now it’s one of my favourites 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I'm afraid I'm in the pre Black album camp. I was a kid but I felt they'd gone back on a lot of their anti-promotion stuff. Suddenly casuals were wearing their T shirts! :astonished: 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited March 2021
    It's mad how these misconceptions still exist. They didn't actively state they were anti promotion. The thing was they could never get any airplay or exposure for a long time as they were considered too extreme, which is ridiculous when you look at some metal bands like Cannibal Corpse. They always did TV and radio stuff, you don't do that if you're "anti-promotion". 

The mainstream courted Metallica once they realised the power of the music and the fan base, and of course the mainstream sniffed an opportunity to make cash. When Metallica thought it was time and they were ready, they made a video on their terms, everything they've done has been their decision, not a label decision or management request. That's the difference, the only reason you know anything about Metallica is due to promotion, even back in the KEA era. Yes word of mouth played a part, but they were in all the metal rags and fanzines which helped whip up the hype.

All metal bands owe a debt of gratitude to Metallica, the greatest heavy band of all time. Without them, they would have struggled to make a career out of heavy music, Metallica opened the door for them. Yes there were other bands in the mix back in the US, and of course they did it standing on the shoulders of giants like Sabbath, Zeppelin, Maiden, and all the obscure shit like Diamond Head/NWOBHM Blue Cheer, MC5 etc. that inspired others. However they made heavy music part of the mainstream, something never achieved before. I mean they played songs off their first 4 albums on the Glastonbury main stage FFS!! How amazing is that!

I never understood that attitude of they were our band and they sold out, it feels a bit ridiculous. Wouldn't you want them to do well? To spread the message? Crazy stuff, I mean like or dislike the newer music, it's fine I've got no qualms with that, but to dislike them for doing well on their own terms seems weird. Having said that, I've seen it time and again when bands make it big and it still baffles me!

There's some heavy music on The Black Album too, Through The Never is a thrash song, Sad But True is heavy as hell! To dismiss it as they simplified the tunes is crazy to me, I mean I respect the opinion, but I can't understand it all the same. The band said it themselves, they saw the crowds reactions to the Justice progressive stuff, people were bored in the audience, so they changed their outlook and songwriting. Everyone blames Bob for the shorter, poppy songs, the reality is they'd written all them songs before Bob even had anything to do with them, so that was their choice. They took Bob a demo of 6 tracks including Sandman, Sad but True, Roam, etc. that they wrote in Lars basement prior to getting a producer in at all. 

I dunno, if you get to that point as a band on the cusp of being able to never actually worry about money again Vs needing to tour and sell records to pay rent, what would you do? It's easy to say, I'd do what Faith No More did and fuck off the mainstream when it's not your choice, less easy to do so when you think I wouldn't have to worry ever again. People also forget how hard they worked to get as big as they did, no band toured as hard or as long as Metallica did, even from the early years. They were road dogs with literally nothing until the Puppets/Justice era, when they could finally pay rent and stuff. They are known for their hard work and perseverance. Fame wasn't thrown at them, they paid their dues fair and square, a few times over. 

IMHO, YMMV and all that. I just can't get with the sell out argument about any band really. I think Metallica have trodden that line quite well compared to others. It's a game of opinions innit Jeff. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    Yeah I've never understood the "black album is not metal" crowd. There's plenty of heavy stuff on that record. Sure the mix is radio friendly with the vocals up front, but there are loads of crushing riffs.

I don't think it was a sell out, it was a distillation. Previously the band had lacked self editing, with some songs taking to long to get to the point or not focussing on their best elements. I think Bob Rock helped them really find the essence in those songs.

That voice of "no" has been something they've lacked since Load and something plenty of other bands such as Iron Maiden could do with. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Spot on @Grumpyrocker that's exactly what Metallica need, someone to push and goad them to making better song choices and better quality control. Especially Kirk and Lars. Defo Maiden as well, same problems. 

• randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited March 2021
    Boromedic said:

and of course they did it standing on the shoulders of giants like Sabbath, Zeppelin, Maiden, and all the obscure shit like Diamond Head/NWOBHM Blue Cheer, MC5 etc. that inspired others. ally. I think Metallica have trodden that line quite well compared to others. It's a game of opinions innit Jeff. 
    @Boromedic - great post that. I've snipped this bit out only because I was listening to Kill 'Em All the other day, thinking how much Motorhead you can hear in some of the tracks. They never hid the fact that they were big fans, to be fair
    Cheers @randella , I always get a bit passionate about the Tallica boys!! Yeah Motorhead is a biggie as well, definitely obvious on Kill Em All, I love that album. Sounds great!

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822

I couldn't figure out whether some kind of monster was a piss take or not. Funny bunch of guys.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Boromedic said:
    It's mad how these misconceptions still exist. They didn't actively state they were anti promotion. The thing was they could never get any airplay or exposure for a long time as they were considered too extreme, which is ridiculous when you look at some metal bands like Cannibal Corpse. They always did TV and radio stuff, you don't do that if you're "anti-promotion". 

The mainstream courted Metallica once they realised the power of the music and the fan base, and of course the mainstream sniffed an opportunity to make cash. When Metallica thought it was time and they were ready, they made a video on their terms, everything they've done has been their decision, not a label decision or management request. That's the difference, the only reason you know anything about Metallica is due to promotion, even back in the KEA era. Yes word of mouth played a part, but they were in all the metal rags and fanzines which helped whip up the hype.

All metal bands owe a debt of gratitude to Metallica, the greatest heavy band of all time. Without them, they would have struggled to make a career out of heavy music, Metallica opened the door for them. Yes there were other bands in the mix back in the US, and of course they did it standing on the shoulders of giants like Sabbath, Zeppelin, Maiden, and all the obscure shit like Diamond Head/NWOBHM Blue Cheer, MC5 etc. that inspired others. However they made heavy music part of the mainstream, something never achieved before. I mean they played songs off their first 4 albums on the Glastonbury main stage FFS!! How amazing is that!

I never understood that attitude of they were our band and they sold out, it feels a bit ridiculous. Wouldn't you want them to do well? To spread the message? Crazy stuff, I mean like or dislike the newer music, it's fine I've got no qualms with that, but to dislike them for doing well on their own terms seems weird. Having said that, I've seen it time and again when bands make it big and it still baffles me!

There's some heavy music on The Black Album too, Through The Never is a thrash song, Sad But True is heavy as hell! To dismiss it as they simplified the tunes is crazy to me, I mean I respect the opinion, but I can't understand it all the same. The band said it themselves, they saw the crowds reactions to the Justice progressive stuff, people were bored in the audience, so they changed their outlook and songwriting. Everyone blames Bob for the shorter, poppy songs, the reality is they'd written all them songs before Bob even had anything to do with them, so that was their choice. They took Bob a demo of 6 tracks including Sandman, Sad but True, Roam, etc. that they wrote in Lars basement prior to getting a producer in at all. 

I dunno, if you get to that point as a band on the cusp of being able to never actually worry about money again Vs needing to tour and sell records to pay rent, what would you do? It's easy to say, I'd do what Faith No More did and fuck off the mainstream when it's not your choice, less easy to do so when you think I wouldn't have to worry ever again. People also forget how hard they worked to get as big as they did, no band toured as hard or as long as Metallica did, even from the early years. They were road dogs with literally nothing until the Puppets/Justice era, when they could finally pay rent and stuff. They are known for their hard work and perseverance. Fame wasn't thrown at them, they paid their dues fair and square, a few times over. 

IMHO, YMMV and all that. I just can't get with the sell out argument about any band really. I think Metallica have trodden that line quite well compared to others. It's a game of opinions innit Jeff. 
    Well that's told me.. :) fantastic post @Boromedic . I loved Justice for the progressive elements and wanted more of that if I'm honest - songs with lots of twists and turns. I was also pretty judgemental about the new fans - proper selfishness and snobbery on my part I know.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited March 2021
    There's a lot of Sabbath in there too. A lot of Metallica songs use Sabbath riffs played quickly. And some times not even different from the original - For Whole the Bell Tolls for example lifts part of Fairies Wear Boots (and Jethro Tull's Sweet Dream).