Considering a Subsequent 37

What's Hot
Hi

I think some of you have Subs 37's and like the. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one so feel free to encourage with very little info as to why I want one.

I've got a stage 3. It's great but I want more fun from a synth. And definitely analogue while I wait to be able to afford a Prophet 10v4 (sort of joking...)

So. Shall I get one? Aiming to play out again once we can, fun with friends stuff. 

Anyone got one to sell? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I've got one (well the earlier Sub37).
    Are you expecting Minimoog type sounds on a budget- you won't get them if you are a purist.

The Sub is a great synth and is very versatile while being a modern version of the Moog aesthetic.
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    Hi @octatonic ;

That's helpful. Good to hear you think it's great.

I'm not looking for the mini moog sounds, no. Your description describes much better what I'm looking for and sounds I've heard sound right too. 

There's also the sequential pro 3 at the same-is price, but it looks more of a fiddler's dream which I think will not be best for me

They are both good.
    I am thinking of a Pro 3.
    What do you see as useful about the pro 3? 

I note you've an octatrack and that's beyond me and my musical needs. I have a digitakt and find that by scrolling through sounds and sounds I lose the music in my head. It becomes a programming task in some ways and that is not me.
    Beyond being a mono synth addict, I am not sure.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I see...ha ha
    Oh thanks for chatting, you've helped me condense my thoughts
    jackio said:
    Oh thanks for chatting, you've helped me condense my thoughts
    It is really best to just try them and see how you feel.

I buy from shops with return policies if it isn't review stock (I write gear reviews) so I can try them out in the studio.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, that's the route I'll take. Of course I never return stuff...
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    It's a brilliant hands on performance synthesiser and my go-to synth at the moment.

Once you get your head around it, it's really well laid out if you like controlling and developing sounds as you play. It's all knobs and tweaking, no menu diving (although you can access stuff via a menu). It can sound fat (phat?) or whatever you like to call it, it can sound ethereal, can do fx stuff and waterfalls if you want it to.

Everything is accessible, I mean, you know when you are hearing some movement in the sound and you want to jump right in and bring that out a little or start sweeping it around? The controls all appear - to me anyway - to have been thought out exactly for you to grab on and start manipulating so I reckon they spent a bit of time thinking about this when they designed it and to me it shows. You need to know a bit about synthesis to know what you are doing so maybe not so great for starting out with, but even then the sound will draw you in until you get serious with it.

It's lovely to handle.

2 note paraphonic is good - think of it as extra stuff to mono rather than not full poly.

Worth a look at Gordon Reid's review of the Sub37, it's pretty much the same but with the following additions

The only thing it's missing is it's own fx but in a way this keeps it focused on what it does best. I usually stick a pedal on the output, usually a simple delay, so I have an extra set of controls to play with but I've been plugging it into Beebo lately and I might have fried my brain by doing that. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Thanks @blobb ;

That is really helpful. I've been playing synths for years but more lately. I expect I will have a lot of learning to do with the moog but I have the understanding mostly.

I'm reading the links now. Good of you. Thanks for taking the time to write so well at 2.23am. Loving the paragraph sizes, made it so easy to read on my phone this morning :)

I'm making a couple of new cables so I can use my guitar pedalboard for synth
    Aaaaand, not buying a Beebo  :# =)
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    ...Beebo rules.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Sounds amazing. I'm sure I'll be chasing one in 6 months
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited March 2021
    See - for me id take the Pro 3 over the Sub any day of the week.    Im not really a mono synth fan though - I prefer polys.   BUT I always kind of prefer the sequential sound to the moog.   The only Moog I really have any urge to buy at all is the Moog One.....  One day.   Probably because its a poly lol.

I have a few VSTs (really good ones) as well now (Ive tried the hardware Sequential and moogs as well) - and while not the same (obviously) I prefer the Pro 1 to the minimoog ones too.  Its obviously a tonal DNA I prefer.  Its the same in every demo I see - the DSi/Sequentials just take it for me.

Everyone is different.  
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    I love my Subsequent 37. I think it's the best value in a Moog synth of any description in terms of what it does and how it sounds. As mentioned, it doesn't really sound like a Minimoog but it still certainly feels like a modern incarnation of one in a lot of ways. Really versatile and full of great sounds. Between that and my 16 voice Prophet Rev2 I feel I have most stations covered, it's a dream pair, and I probably don't use them near to their full ability.
  • Whitecat said:
    I love my Subsequent 37. I think it's the best value in a Moog synth of any description in terms of what it does and how it sounds. As mentioned, it doesn't really sound like a Minimoog but it still certainly feels like a modern incarnation of one in a lot of ways. Really versatile and full of great sounds. Between that and my 16 voice Prophet Rev2 I feel I have most stations covered, it's a dream pair, and I probably don't use them near to their full ability.
    HahaHa....   there no such thing as "all basses covered" with 2 synths lol.   When you get to 8 or 9 you have a chance, maybe, if you have self control.

GAS is worse in the synth world than in the guitar one by a long way...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Whitecat said:
    HahaHa....   there no such thing as "all basses covered" with 2 synths lol.   When you get to 8 or 9 you have a chance, maybe, if you have self control.

GAS is worse in the synth world than in the guitar one by a long way...
    Lol. I have a few more but those two are my go-tos and I rarely lust after anything else - I would say my guitar lust is actually the worse of the two. Is there something wrong with me? ;)
    edited March 2021
    I've just been on a pro 3 review extravaganza. Then a vermona 14. And back to SS 37. Missed a great deal on a new one. A SS37 is still in my crosshairs if I find a good deal. 

I'm just wondering if there will be a few for sale, mint, post lockdown. Option paralysis has set in. Ooft, I should just buy one maybe. 

As you say @paulmapp8306  and @Whitecat , synth gas is going to be hard to resist. Loving playing keys atm, just need to pair a good mono with a P6/10, a Polybrute and some 19" rack reverb etc. Some money would be helpful
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited March 2021
    Carefull.... I started my keys journey almost exactly 3 years ago.  Bought an RD2000 just to learn piano on.

Im now a keys player in 2 projects, and have the RD, a Fantom 7, a Peak, a Virus Tiu2, a Deep Mind, and Argon8.  Midi bays, 3 stands, line mixers..... then when I ran out of space at home started on VSTs.... Dive, Repro, OB-Xa, Voltage Modular.....

Once you start...................still got my eyes on an OB6, possibly a Polybrute, and ultimately a moog one once the kids leave home and I get more real estate.

I havent touched my Afx-FX, nor my guitars (a PRS, a Tom Anderson, a Suhr Modern and a custom strat) in over 18 moths sigh....