What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Michael Casswell, Friends for Life
    I'm actually listening to some guitar playing for once.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DonnyMacDonnyMac Frets: 43
    My other half is introducing me to new music...

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    Carwyn Ellis & Rio 18 - Mas .... just landed today in splendid sapphire coloured vinyl. Think João Gilberto but in Welsh.  Good stuff!
  • DonnyMacDonnyMac Frets: 43
    Back to a little bit of Bluegrass

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Chilling out this morning with Riverside's most recent album Wasteland. Such a great modern prog band, elements of Floyd, Marillion etc. but definitely with their own sound, and a harder edge than those previously mentioned.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Really liked the slide on this

• LogieLogie Frets: 440
    Sheik Yerbouti ( again )
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2021
    I am currently listening to Disintegration by The Cure for the first time on a new DAC that is fairly transparent. This is the closest I have ever been inside the recording (remastered version). I always knew Robert Smith was a quirky shapeshifting songwriter, but I feel Disintegration is on another level as a complete body of work.

The transition through the tracks is flawless, and while clearly Goth influenced, it is not so easy to put a date on the production, as it sounds timeless to me and seems to get better with age.

In short, this is Smith's Magnum Opus, and well worth another spin on the decks if you have it in your music collection.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Logie said:
    Sheik Yerbouti ( again )

What do you think of it, @Logie ? I bow to few people in my love for FZ - in the late 70s & early 80s I listened to almost no one except Zappa and Talking Heads. I bought each new Zappa release as it came out.  But I find it harder and harder to listen to his later albums. After Apostrophe, the only masterpiece for me is Joe's Garage. Of course there are flashes of brilliance in the other output (how could there not be, given the man?), but overall there's this weird effect for me whereby the more exceptional Zappa's touring band becomes, the more uninteresting (from the perspective of longevity) the music becomes. Zappa gives way more and more either to his 'teenage New York" pleasing songs that play heavily on misogyny or his irritation with with right-wing religious figures. I still listen to The Grand Wazoo and find new things in it every time I do, whereas albums like Sheik Yerbouti, Tinseltown Rebellion, You Are What You Is, etc. just leave me cold now.

(For me the best thing to come out of the Sheik Yerbouti era are the YouTube videos of Adrian Belew singing lead vocals on "City of Tiny Lites" and generally being awesome)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Moominpapa ;
    I listened to him quite a lot in the 70’s and 80’s but I’m not a massive fan really ( although he’s always fascinated me ). An instrumental album like Sleep Dirt for example doesn’t really do it for me
    I like the humorous side which is why I love Sheik Yerbouti and Live in New York so much but they’re enough for me to get my Zappa fix.
    Looking forward to watching the movie.

• MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    Psychic Lemon Live Studio Jams Volume 3.
    This and the other two live studio jams albums can be downloaded for free below but in these times I’m sure any contributions would help the band.

https://psychiclemon.bandcamp.com/music

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    Today's playlist:

Pino Palladino/ Blake Mills - 'Notes with Attachments'
    Steps Ahead -'NYC'
    Joni Mitchell 'Hissing of Summer Lawns'
    Steve Tibbetts 'Fall of Us All'

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited April 2021
    Frazey Ford - Indian Ocean.  Country soul from a one time folk singer (ex Be Good Tanyas) who doesn't have the most powerful voice but it has a wonderful delicate, creamy texture and her phrasing is so idiosyncratic and soulful. She has some of Al Green's old band on this and she can write a melody.  If you like Al Green on his slower stuff worth checking this out.  Her follow up album (U Kin B The Sun) has somewhat more modern textures but is still superb.  Most of the songs are a few very simple chords and the arrangements are sparse. A reminder of how effective simple music can be when it's done with feeling and taste.

Lana Del Ray - Chemtrails Over the Country Club.  Loved her last album.  Early days but this one isn't as immediate.  There are some strong song sbut my impression is of quit a noticeable mid-album sag.

Nick Cave - Carnage.  One listen so too early to respond.

Paul Desmond - Desmond Blue. Features Jim Hall on guitar. Exquisite stuff.

Melody Gardot - Sunset in the Blue. Stunningly produced and arranged. Not for everyone - you have to like music where jazzy American Songbook meets Latin and sophisticated orchestral MOR  but it totally works for me. Some very nice guitar playing on this as well.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Been listening to a lot of NOVA on YouTube. They cover classic bossa nova and samba tunes (Corcovado, Black Orpheus, Summer Samba, Desafinado, etc.)  They are very good and blessed with a superb vocalist in Laura Vall. If you like the classic Latin American music of the 50s & 60s , give them a listen, you won't be disappointed.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    XTC English Settlement after watching a Hugh Padgham Produce Like A Pro series. I've spent a lot of time on Black Sea so it's been a while.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    New "Godspeed You! Black Emperor" album. 
    Screaming for vengeance- Juda Priest. A cracking blast from the past.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited April 2021
    This band covering the whole of VH1.
    The guitarist, Simon Hosford, nails those EVH parts and sounds (all from a Kemper and feeding the power amp section of the Marshall amp shown on stage). He has some pedigree and has played with Men at Work, been in Tommy Emmanuel's Band and done a fair bit in Australia.

I'm still amazed at the inventiveness of EVH and in particular, will always love his rhythm work - he was one of the best at that! It's hard believed this material was from 1978 and before.

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited April 2021
    On a bit of a Killing Joke binge at the minute. Geordie Walker has a killer guitar sound.  
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 519
    This week so far: 
    Can - Egebamyasi
    Richard Lloyd - Field of Fire
    Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets 
    The Jam - Setting Sons/Sound Affects/The Gift