Good keyboard with weighted keys?

What's Hot
Either 61 or 76 keys, either with built in sounds or not. Anyone know of any good ones? Pref not too modern as I will be looking for second hand!

I haven't looked into keyboards for about 25 years so I'm totally out of the loop.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6150
    Weighted like a piano? Tricky to find in 61/76 keys.

Or weighted with little metal weights glued under each key to give a bit of feel (compared to the ultra-lightweight cheapo synth type)? They are plentiful - I'd go for a Yamaha or Roland from 10+ years ago, such as a Fantom X6, X7 or S6, etc. Those are workstations, but you can also find simpler synths with the same keybeds (Yamaha V50).

I'm not up to speed with the sound-less MIDI controllers, though. They'd be MUCH cheaper, and also far lighter and take up less studio space.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    My requirements were a clean keyboard without any buttons or distractions. All I needed was a grand piano sound with weighted keys. I was lucky to buy a technics sx-p30. The few controls and jacks are hidden under the LHS. It also has a secret Rhodes sound. MIDI should I ever need to expand. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Budget?

Easier to find on 76 than a 61.
    Studiologic SL73 comes to mind as a controller.
    Various Nord's (6D for example) for something with sounds.

Why weighted?
    Do you want to be playing piano?
    If so then an electric piano (Roland, Kawaii, Yamaha etc) will be a good shout.
    Fewer sounds, but a focus on playability.

If you want something that does it all then get out the big bucks.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    To be honest I'm not even thinking of budget at the moment, although I did mention 'secondhand' so as not to break the bank.

I have a weighted keys clavinova with midi output that I can use for stuff, But I want something that I can move around with me. I used to use my Korg N364, but having not touched it for a few years, the non weighted keys feel horrible. Feels like a toy. Semi-weighted - I have an M audio thing and that too feels horrible, although it was cheap.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    edited April 2021
    axisus said:
    To be honest I'm not even thinking of budget at the moment, although I did mention 'secondhand' so as not to break the bank.

I have a weighted keys clavinova with midi output that I can use for stuff, But I want something that I can move around with me. I used to use my Korg N364, but having not touched it for a few years, the non weighted keys feel horrible. Feels like a toy. Semi-weighted - I have an M audio thing and that too feels horrible, although it was cheap.
    It is a tricky one then- you have a couple of choices.
    You'll find many more weighted 88 note keyboards for sale than 61 or 76.
    You should be able to nab a bargain.

If you definitely want a smaller keyboard then you might be waiting for quite a while if it has to be weighted.

Not all semi-weighted/synth weighted keyboards are crap.
    Anything with a Fatar keybed is absolutely playable.
    Personally I find some cheaper weighted hammer action keypads worse than good quality synth-weighted.
    The standard answer to "piano-weighted" and "portable" and "cheap" is the Casio series.

But that means 88-keys. PX-5S is old, but gold (has a full-blown synth under the hood) and the more recent CDP-S100 is super-slim and very affordable. PX-S1000 slightly higher spec, ISTR.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Just get a Yamaha P-whatever is the lowest number you can find. 88 keys, but as small as a practical keyboard can be otherwise. The keyboard is the same as the more expensive models but the sounds are more limited - although perfectly good.

I have a P-35.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    goldtop said:
    I'd go for a Yamaha or Roland from 10+ years ago, such as a Fantom X6, X7 or S6, etc. Those are workstations but you can also find simpler synths with the same keybeds (Yamaha V50).
    Roland XP-80 with hard case? Price dependent on how many SR-JV80-nn sound library expansion boards you require (and which ones!). 

This has been my main keyboard since the aftertouch strip on my JX-10 turned as firm as concrete. I am willing to part with the XP because I have duplicates of all of its sounds in other Roland MIDI devices.

DESCRIPTION
    https://www.roland.com/uk/products/xp-80/

REVIEW
    http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/xp80.php

REVERB (for price tracking reasons)
    https://reverb.com/uk/p/roland-xp-80-76-key-64-voice-music-workstation-keyboard

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    ICBM said:
    Just get a Yamaha P-whatever is the lowest number you can find. 88 keys, but as small as a practical keyboard can be otherwise. The keyboard is the same as the more expensive models but the sounds are more limited - although perfectly good.

I have a P-35.
    Just noticed that there's a P121 which is has 73 piano-weighted keys. Same GHS keybed. P121 is super portable due to the size and weight.

goldtop said:
    I'd go for a Yamaha or Roland from 10+ years ago, such as a Fantom X6, X7 or S6, etc. Those are workstations but you can also find simpler synths with the same keybeds (Yamaha V50).
    Roland XP-80 with hard case? Price dependent on how many SR-JV80-nn sound library expansion boards you require (and which ones!). 

This has been my main keyboard since the aftertouch strip on my JX-10 turned as firm as concrete. I am willing to part with the XP because I have duplicates of all of its sounds in other Roland MIDI devices.

DESCRIPTION
    https://www.roland.com/uk/products/xp-80/

REVIEW
    http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/xp80.php

REVERB (for price tracking reasons)
    https://reverb.com/uk/p/roland-xp-80-76-key-64-voice-music-workstation-keyboard

Yup - that'd be a great buy. 
  • v12catv12cat Frets: 25
    edited August 2021
    Fatar SL760.  I have had an SL880 for 20 years. It is now out of it's case and mounted in an old sawn off wooden upright piano. Brilliant piece of kit. Purely a midi controller.

:# Just noticed, very old thread! 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    goldtop said:

Just noticed that there's a P121 which is has 73 piano-weighted keys. Same GHS keybed. P121 is super portable due to the size and weight.

Thank you!

I've been looking for <88 key weighted keyboards for forever and they're so rare, can only remember one - the Studiologic one.

Kind of surprising it's like this with the virtual instrument and home studio thing being so big - there surely must be a market for weighted keys to be used for controlling soft synths rather than to play classical piano on and the 88 key boards are pretty big for a lot of home studios I'd imagine (and I'd be surprised if many used the full range for anything other than piano pieces that need it).

Even the top midi controllers whose 88 key version has fully weighted keys seem to invariably change to synth action for the other models.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited August 2021
    Its pretty srandard to only use weighted keys for piano.   Every other style benefits from synth, semi ot waterfall keys.

Most home studiod do use 88 keybefs for the weighted piano option.

Normsl setup, assuming a single board (which is common for home studios) is an 88 hammer if you need piano, or 61/48  (or smaller) synth action if you dont intend to use piano.

A lot have an 88 note main board for piano duties and a 37 synth for vsts.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    edited August 2021
    I have a Yamaha P70 that I got off eBay 10 years ago. It even has MIDI at the back, 2 x 3.5mm jacks for headphones at the front.  Not much in terms of a synth bar a few preset Piano/Organ/String voicings.

The problem with it is that it's not really portable, you need a sturdy stand so that it's does not wobble, they make a matching stand so make sure you get it unless you put it on a proper table.

Its pretty srandard to only use weighted keys for piano.   Every other style benefits from synth, semi ot waterfall keys.
    Nah that's not true, there are plenty of synth sounds that one might prefer to play on a weighted keyboard than an unweighted. It just depends what kind of patch it is and how you want to play it. Otherwise none of the classic synths would have come with a weighted keyboard.

For me, if the patch has a lot going on depending on velocity so I want to be precise then weighted makes it easier and if I want to play fast then an unweighted makes it easier.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited August 2021
    thegummy said:
    Nah that's not true, there are plenty of synth sounds that one might prefer to play on a weighted keyboard than an unweighted. It just depends what kind of patch it is and how you want to play it. Otherwise none of the classic synths would have come with a weighted keyboard.

For me, if the patch has a lot going on depending on velocity so I want to be precise then weighted makes it easier and if I want to play fast then an unweighted makes it easier.
    no classic synth DID come with a weighted keyboard.  I cant think of a single one.  Many had what is commonly called "semi weighted" now, which isnt the same.   its still a synth action bed - but tends to have a weight in the key and a touch of spring pressure under the bed.    thats my preference synth bed normally, but a lot have that anyway -  when they say "synth action" it often doesnt mean true "synth action" but semi weighted/sprung.   

There tends to be 4 types these days.  Synth - with no spring action a light keys (some classic synths had this), semi weighted with a little more heft to the keys and some spring pressure on the back of the key (which is what most classic synths had to some degree).  Weighted (like a piano but no bounce back) and hammer action (true piano style feel if not constructions).   My preference is hammer for piano, and semi for synths. 

I agree with the velocity thing - but I find velocity is just as easy on a synth action bed than a hammer/weighted.   speed is different but not velocity as such IMO.  each to their own though, everyone is different.

If its that "semi weighted", sprung keybed common on classic synths your after - there are quite a few available options in 73/76/61 keys.   You wont find weighted/hammer action on many under 88 - which is what I (for one) thought you were after given your use of "weighted",

^ Agreed.

Flimsy synth action is OK for cheap synths (MODX6, FA06) but the feel of semi-weighted keys on (e.g.) the Montage, Virus, etc, is much better. 

Also worth checking: piano-weighted keybeds rarely have aftertouch*, which is another reason for having a second quality semi-weighted keyboard with it. I'm happy now, having settled on the Kawai ES8 and Waldorf STVC.

(*An honourable exception being the Oberheim MC2000 controller I sold here recently.)
    no classic synth DID come with a weighted keyboard.  I cant think of a single one.  Many had what is commonly called "semi weighted" now, which isnt the same.   its still a synth action bed - but tends to have a weight in the key and a touch of spring pressure under the bed.    thats my preference synth bed normally, but a lot have that anyway -  when they say "synth action" it often doesnt mean true "synth action" but semi weighted/sprung.   

There tends to be 4 types these days.  Synth - with no spring action a light keys (some classic synths had this), semi weighted with a little more heft to the keys and some spring pressure on the back of the key (which is what most classic synths had to some degree).  Weighted (like a piano but no bounce back) and hammer action (true piano style feel if not constructions).   My preference is hammer for piano, and semi for synths. 

I agree with the velocity thing - but I find velocity is just as easy on a synth action bed than a hammer/weighted.   speed is different but not velocity as such IMO.  each to their own though, everyone is different.

If its that "semi weighted", sprung keybed common on classic synths your after - there are quite a few available options in 73/76/61 keys.   You wont find weighted/hammer action on many under 88 - which is what I (for one) thought you were after given your use of "weighted",

I wouldn't necessarily be after a hammer action but I've played all of the well known midi controllers that say they have "semi-weighted" and they just feel like less soft synth keys and don't give the velocity precision that a digital piano does. I've never been an acoustic pianist so it's not about being exactly like a piano for me, it's just about being able to choose the velocity of each note more precisely (in a way, like a microtonal bend on a guitar would be easier with heavier gauge strings).

As you say, it's just personal preference but it does surprise me that you find weighted useful for piano but not any other sound when there are synth patches that react to velocity similarly to a piano. To me it seems obvious that the best action for piano sounds would also be the best for those. Unless, of course, you are playing different music on the piano to what you're playing on synths then that would explain it.
    goldtop said:
    ^ Agreed.

Flimsy synth action is OK for cheap synths (MODX6, FA06) but the feel of semi-weighted keys on (e.g.) the Montage, Virus, etc, is much better. 

Also worth checking: piano-weighted keybeds rarely have aftertouch*, which is another reason for having a second quality semi-weighted keyboard with it. I'm happy now, having settled on the Kawai ES8 and Waldorf STVC.

(*An honourable exception being the Oberheim MC2000 controller I sold here recently.)
    That was another thing I used to find strange along with there being no weighted <88 keys, that there was rarely aftertouch on weighted keybeds.

It has changed now though, they do generally now have it. At least, the top few brands I'd buy regardless of AT's inclusion do have it on their weighted 88 key controllers.
  • thegummy said:
    goldtop said:
    ^ Agreed.

That was another thing I used to find strange along with there being no weighted <88 keys, that there was rarely aftertouch on weighted keybeds.

It has changed now though, they do generally now have it. At least, the top few brands I'd buy regardless of AT's inclusion do have it on their weighted 88 key controllers.
    Again, its down to the weighted (mostly hammer) action beds being designed for piano use.   Aftertouch on those keybeds are not good for piano.  It changes how the keys bottom out.  Most "pianists" dont like or wont use weighted/hammer boards with AT.  Its also fair to say those that DO have at are not the same as synth at keybeds.  They are stiffer (by necessity) and are most switches (on/off) with very little movement and certainly no real control between the 2.

I find - again personally - that a good quality semi weighted board is more than capable of pretty accurate control for velocity though.  In fact Ive found some that are far better than Piano hammer action.  The way the hammers work, particularly graduated hammer action, or those with escarpment mean it interferes with the velocity a little.    Im not saying weighted here, but specifically hammer.
    paulmapp8306 said:

Again, its down to the weighted (mostly hammer) action beds being designed for piano use.   Aftertouch on those keybeds are not good for piano.  It changes how the keys bottom out.  Most "pianists" dont like or wont use weighted/hammer boards with AT.  Its also fair to say those that DO have at are not the same as synth at keybeds.  They are stiffer (by necessity) and are most switches (on/off) with very little movement and certainly no real control between the 2.
    Useful info thanks, I assumed they'd managed to keep the exact same hammer action while also adding aftertouch. Glad you brought this up cause it didn't cross my mind that it might have been a compromise.

paulmapp8306 said:

I find - again personally - that a good quality semi weighted board is more than capable of pretty accurate control for velocity though.  In fact Ive found some that are far better than Piano hammer action.  The way the hammers work, particularly graduated hammer action, or those with escarpment mean it interferes with the velocity a little.    Im not saying weighted here, but specifically hammer.
    Any specific semi-weighted models you find useful for accurate velocity control? I've tried a lot of the well known ones from Novation, Akai etc.

I do still wonder why you don't use the semi-weighted one for piano sounds then?