Solo of the Month (SotM) #69 - Challenge

What's Hot

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Splendid track.  Wish it was twice as long though. 

I've just had a go at copying and pasting the main section and it seems to work OK without a glitch. Should I post a longer version, if it's OK with @imalrightjack ;  

Just listened back to updated backing track - i thought when you said repeating the "main section" that you meant the main riff from 2s to 17s not the bridge section, doh. :smiley:  I'll have to rethink what I had in mind.  Determined not to listen to anyone elses until i've thought of something though. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2192
    edited April 2021

I've just had a go at copying and pasting the main section and it seems to work OK without a glitch. Should I post a longer version, if it's OK with @imalrightjack ;;  

Just listened back to updated backing track - i thought when you said repeating the "main section" that you meant the main riff from 2s to 17s not the bridge section, doh. smiley  I'll have to rethink what I had in mind.  Determined not to listen to anyone elses until i've thought of something though. 

That's what I was going to do, but @imalrightjack had other ideas, and it's his track

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I've just had a go at copying and pasting the main section and it seems to work OK without a glitch. Should I post a longer version, if it's OK with @imalrightjack ;;  

Just listened back to updated backing track - i thought when you said repeating the "main section" that you meant the main riff from 2s to 17s not the bridge section, doh. smiley  I'll have to rethink what I had in mind.  Determined not to listen to anyone elses until i've thought of something though. 

That's what I was going to do, but @imalrightjack had other ideas, and it's his track

Of course :-)  Composer's privilege
  • Splendid track.  Wish it was twice as long though. 

Of course :-)  Composer's privilege
    I liked it short and sweet, but happy with whatever! Need to have a go at putting something over it...
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    Sent one in.

My technique was to start off playing ALL the notes on the fretboard as fast as possible in key, then play ALL the notes on the fretboard as fast as possible out of key, (that sounded even worse), then stumble onto lots of tremolo picking and decide that's my technique for this entry.

Don't take your pencil off the line.

I used E something for the 1st part (phrygian perhaps?), then Am pentatonic for the 2nd part.  It was all one take although i added a different FX for the first section compared to the second section.
    Sent one in.

That's 4 in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    Sent one in.

My technique was to start off playing ALL the notes on the fretboard as fast as possible in key, then play ALL the notes on the fretboard as fast as possible out of key, (that sounded even worse), then stumble onto lots of tremolo picking and decide that's my technique for this entry.

Don't take your pencil off the line.

I used E something for the 1st part (phrygian perhaps?), then Am pentatonic for the 2nd part.  It was all one take although i added a different FX for the first section compared to the second section.
    @fastonebaz you are now my hero, this is my favourite theory breakdown of a solo ever.  And exactly how I approach all my solos :) 

I'll give this one a go too, right my meine strasse.  Will crack on with something tonight, stress over getting it JUST SO for a few days and then just w*** over it.

All of 'em sounding good so far!

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 251
    Am I the only one who wonders what gear is being used on these challenges? I mean not just the Solo one, but all the others too.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3740
    edited April 2021
    Habanero said:
    Am I the only one who wonders what gear is being used on these challenges? I mean not just the Solo one, but all the others too.
    I tend to note my gear when I get round to entering.  Last month was Kemper (BE-100 profile) and an Eggle 96.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3213
    edited April 2021
    Habanero said:
    Good point: this month, I used a PRS DGT DI'd into a UA Apollo Twin interface (bit of overkill as a simple DI).

The DAW is Studio One (recently moved away from Ableton Live) and I'm running a Neural DSP 'Archetype: Plini' plugin for amp/effects.

Nothing else other than a bit of DAW eq and comp here and there.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 251
    edited April 2021

Good point: this month, I used a PRS DGT DI'd into a UA Apollo Twin interface (bit of overkill as a simple DI).

The DAW is Studio One (recently moved away from Ableton Live) and I'm running a Neural DSP 'Archetype: Plini' plugin for amp/effects.

I listen to Guitar Nerds podcast and their recent 'home recording' series recommended the Plini plugin too, and Studio One.
  • Habanero said:

I listen to Guitar Nerds podcast and their recent 'home recording' series recommended the Plini plugin too, and Studio One.
    Not my podcast but I'm definitely a guitar nerd ;)

If you sign up at Neural, you can grab any plugin and trial it for 14 days.

I wouldn't say I'm in Neural's target demographic but I can definitely find ways of using the plugins (got Plini and Nolly). Wrong tool for the job might keep me from sounding like everyone else! (so why do I keep browsing for Strandbergs?!!)
    edited April 2021
    Here's my set up for this one

PRS Custom 24 S2
      Bridge pickup, which is a Seymour Duncan JB in place of the original

Zoom UAC-2 Interface

Plugins
      Line 6 Helix Native 
         Red Squeeze (compressor) > Slo Lead OD Amp/cab

Then
      > Valhalla Room Reverb (just the default setting) > NI Replika XT (Modern dotted 1/8th setting)

It's not a competition.
  • What I'd like to see is more people bothering to vote :)

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What I'd like to see is more people bothering to vote :)
    This also applies to all other challenges :)

I am guilty as charged ... I don't often pop into solo / riff of the month challenges.  I shall endeavour to be better ....
    Alrighty then ... I've submitted one.

Gear wise, pretty straight forward ... EVH Striped Series -> Helix Native -> Scheps Omni Channel -> H-Reverb

Theory wise .... well, I don't really know :)  Started in E Phrygian Dominant (I think ... ) and improvised some slow and really fast bits noodling around there with very little taste involved.  For the last round of ascending chords I tried to arpeggiate through the changes in various modes of the harmonic minor and aeolian trying to pull some interesting altered notes out in groups of 5, played in straight 16ths which let me land in the right spot to emphasise then ending.

That's what I think I did, many better theorists would be able to tell me I'm wrong!  Hopefully it sounds cool ... that's all I was really aiming for.
    Bezzer said:
    Alrighty then ... I've submitted one.

It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Bezzer said:
    What I'd like to see is more people bothering to vote :)
    This also applies to all other challenges :)

I am guilty as charged ... I don't often pop into solo / riff of the month challenges.  I shall endeavour to be better ....
    Likewise - I mean to do one every month, but I never quite find the time. I'll try and do this one. I don't vote because of this - I try not to listen to what other people do before I do mine in case it influences what I do, and get stuck in a circle of not doing anything at all!!
    edited April 2021

Likewise - I mean to do one every month, but I never quite find the time. I'll try and do this one. I don't vote because of this - I try not to listen to what other people do before I do mine in case it influences what I do, and get stuck in a circle of not doing anything at all!!

Does this backing track from @imalrightjack ;meet your criterion for metal?

IIRC when I had a go at a heavy metal backing (many moons ago), you were the one that pointed out that it didn't sound like proper metal

It's not a competition.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036

Does this backing track from @imalrightjack ;meet your criterion for metal?

IIRC when I had a go at a heavy metal backing (many moons ago), you were the one that pointed out that it didn't sound like proper metal

It's fine for metal! Haha - not sure that was me, I don't think I'd have been rude enough to diss a backing someone else had done  =) (I am now worried that it was me!)