Volume - tone control conflict.

What's Hot
Can anyone give me some advice, just bought a 70s hohner Telecaster custom which has an issue electrics. 

When either volume control is on full the tone controls don't work but if you roll off the volume slightly the tone controls then work as  they should. 

The previous owner swapped out the electrics so must have wired them up wrong but can't figure it out. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Can you post a pic of the wiring?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    +1 for photographs of the wiring as it currently stands. It would also help to know the values of the individual pots and any capacitors in the circuit.

The likeliest explanation is that the pickup and selector switch cables have been connected to the wrong terminals at the volume pots.

The terminal at which one end of the tone control capacitor is connected can make a difference to pickup loading. 

Treble bypass networks across the terminals of each volume pot could partially negate the tone controls if inappropriate cap values have been chosen.

The original Fender circuit used 1 Meg Ohm pots. Forty five years old budget Japanese pots might be dying on their arses by now.

Final thought. Are either you or the guitar left handed?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • +1 for photographs of the wiring as it currently stands. It would also help to know the values of the individual pots and any capacitors in the circuit.

The likeliest explanation is that the pickup and selector switch cables have been connected to the wrong terminals at the volume pots.

The terminal at which one end of the tone control capacitor is connected can make a difference to pickup loading. 

Treble bypass networks across the terminals of each volume pot could partially negate the tone controls if inappropriate cap values have been chosen.

The original Fender circuit used 1 Meg Ohm pots. Forty five years old budget Japanese pots might be dying on their arses by now.

Final thought. Are either you or the guitar left handed?
    thanks - will get some photos done tommorow , its a right handed guitar but the pickup controls are wired upside down ( neck pickup controlled by the bottom controls - bridge by top ones ) so may have been previously played upside down by a left handed guitarist . 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    More likely, the wiring alterations were performed by somebody who did not understand the conventions of guitar wiring diagrams - either representational drawings or proper electrical schematics.

If your photographs reveal a complete dog's dinner, there is a case for reassembling using all new parts. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.

• Hard to show in the photos 

Tone control - cap   3rd leg - middle leg(white wire) wired to volume 1st eg

Volume 

1st leg earthed to back of pot

2nd leg red  wire to 3 way switch 

3rd leg red wire from  pickup - white wire to middle tone control 

Pots are connected by an earth wire to the back. 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Are the pot values and cap value  correct ? That would be first thing I would check assuming pickup selection works correctly 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    It does appear to be wired correctly, and it looks like the volume control is probably a B500K (correct). I can’t see the tone pot and cap values but the cap looks the right size to be a typical guitar value.

What are you connecting it to?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It does appear to be wired correctly, and it looks like the volume control is probably a B500K (correct). I can’t see the tone pot and cap values but the cap looks the right size to be a typical guitar value.

Yes they are all 500k pots (b for volume a volumes , I have rechecked the wiring and cannot see anything touching. 

Just strange as when either volume is rolled back even the slightest amount the tone controls work.

The 3 way works fine.

Just wondering if it’s some sort of load impedance issue, since the controls work when there’s a small amount of resistance between the tone pots and the output.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Just wondering if it’s some sort of load impedance issue, since the controls work when there’s a small amount of resistance between the tone pots and the output.
    Just a small roland microcube, will try with another amp if I can borrow one.

• ICBM said:

Just tried the guitar through an acoustic amplifier and it all  works as it should  . 

Never would have thought that it may have been the amp. 

Thanks ICBM saved me alot if hassle as I was going to strip it all back and attempt a rewire.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Sherlock Holmes

:)

I actually wondered if it was going to be a Pignose - those have a very low input impedance which does strange things to the way the guitar controls work.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom