Very Late to the Party

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    I've never tried this with a real amp as I've not really had one for a while, but I've found in modelling software that using a Boss style compressor as a boost is much better than using a boost, for my playing. Apparently this is old news (and some boosts like the MXR micro amp apparently add some compression as well?) but it's certainly something I'd like to try in the real world if I ever get a proper amp again

I tried a compressor within a band context for a bit and just didn't like it. Never found that happy place where it didn't mess with my playing and you could tell it was still on. Somewhat randomly I heard a recording of one of those gigs which was our usual anarchic self but my clean tone absolutely popped out the mix.

Like my other examples I think sometimes the more you hear things as a producer might and the less you think about them as a guitarist the more they work in context.  

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12318
    I've found a compressor with a blend makes a huge difference.  I use one for clean, especially twangy countryish type sounds and to add sustain if needed.

I have recently discovered fuzz/muff medals - I always thought they were basically distortion but they sounds nothing like it - I use a klon after the muff sound to make it less wooly but I like the sound.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I've never had a Rat style pedal. Keep meaning to.
  • I bought an Epiphone Dot as an acoustic guitar. 

It was a few years before my guitar teacher encouraged me to plug it in, it was many more years before I learnt to actually enjoy playing it plugged in. This was in the 90s.

So in answer to the question: yes, I had an electric guitar, but didn’t see the point of an amp for several years. I can’t remember what changed my mind, in the end I got the Yamaha DG 100-212, which I still have to this day.
  • Been playing for forty years and only got round to buying a fuzz pedal a couple of years ago and bought my first tube screamer this year.

Bought a Rat2 in the Eighties and never bothered much with any other overdrives or distortions until fairly recently.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think for me this would be reverb, even when I was gigging 2/3 times a week I never used reverb on the amp.

Now I find I am always playing around with different Reverbs, magical sound, I just think I found it sounded mushy live back then

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9653
    edited April 2021
    Compressors. A lot of players see them as essential. I’ve owned a few but simply can’t get them to work for me.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    All compressors are not equal. By far and away the hardest effect to dial in
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 336
    Had a BOSS CS-3 for a while. Very easy to overdo it and suck the tone out of what I was playing, although, when dialled in correctly, it did do the quacky sound fairly well. Then I got a ThorpyFX Fat General. It's a more subtle compressor and, in my experience, makes most things sound fatter and better. It's very close to being an always on pedal for me. It works wonders with many modulation effects and I have it on most of the time. The exception being with fuzz, which is inherently very compressed anyway.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3319
    I’ve played guitar for around 27 years and in that time all I’ve mostly used was the amps channel changer pedal and a tuner. 
    I dabbled with a boss delay but sold it quickly as well, my music didn’t need it. 
    I tried an Marshall overdrive and distortion pedal but they were not as good as the amp. 
    When I stopped gigging and had to play quieter I got a metal muff as it sounded ok plus a Rat (loads of talk of early grunge bands using one) kept the muff sold the Rat. 
    Lately after having a Vox VT40x for my home amp I’ve found myself using a compressor more, a phaser and delay. Had a few goes with chorus and flanger but they all sound like cheesey effects to me still. 

I’ve just changed my home amp and now on the hunt for a good/cheap compressor, a boost/OD and a full on Distortion pedal. 

It’s a minefield this pedal lark. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3518
    Didn't own a telecaster until about three years ago. Now, in the absence of my ability to afford a 335, it's all I play, electrically.