Lamport Hall. “For the exposure” arseholes.

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23949
edited April 2021 in Music

I have the original grasping “come play for free” screen grab but I can’t post from my iPad.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LogieLogie Frets: 440
    They’re getting a proper kicking :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23949
    Logie said:
    They’re getting a proper kicking :)
    Even after they quietly deleted “play for a sandwich “ response!

• BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    So the only people not to make a penny from the arts are the artists?
    where’s all the cash going?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619
    One tiny little social media post asking for musicians to play for exposure at an expensive picnic. What happened next do you think?

Get the popcorn and settle in...

• duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Probably asked if any furloughed staff felt “A little rusty” too & wanted to offer their services. Shocking behaviour.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Fair dos, they deserve a right roasting.

I do the occasional National Trust Sunday afternoon gig (for charity), and even they offer expenses !  (I say DO, I mean DID :( )
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6597
    It's a fucking disgrace that they receive any funding. I can't believe that c***s like this still manage to get away with this....oh but wait, it looks like they're not! Hooray. 
    edited April 2021
    Threads merged BTW

Feedback
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    edited April 2021
    The boss Mark Herrod's comments here don't make things better in my view. 

“What we intended with the event and the post was to offer a platform to local people, amateur musicians.

“We wanted to give them a platform to showcase their music and we were not targeting professional musicians at all.

“There was a lack of clarity in the post and that is regrettable and I am sorry for any offence caused.

“The event is a different kind of event and is not based on performing arts, so there probably will not be any music at the event now, which is a great shame.”

Bullshit. You don't pull in a fucking private chef with his entourage for an event like this and then rely on the like of me to entertain the masses with my acoustic tomfoolery. It's the approach any number of restaurants have done over the years and it is an insult. The private chef's website talks about what he can bring to the show: 

"Danny understands that brand image means everything to your business and that an event hosted by your company is a true representation of your values and ethics, so trust Danny to ensure you get the right message across."

I think his temporary employer have firmly got the right message across!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    This sounds familiar.

Many years ago I played at an event like this in an acoustic trio I was in - some sort of arts event where they wanted original music and it was billed as a showcase. We were supposed to be given free food and drink - but we discovered we weren't allowed to order it ourselves, it was to be provided at the end... ie the left-overs. And in fact no-one who was there was remotely interested in the music at all - not helped by being told to play so quietly that we could barely be heard - so it was a complete waste of time.

Just a deliberate con and a way of getting background music for free. I would have been happy to do it if paid, or happy to do it for nothing if we'd been able to present ourselves properly, and maybe even slightly happier if we'd at least been given what we were promised regarding food... I seem to remember there was very little left and it wasn't especially nice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    edited April 2021
    I've been reading their Facebook page. Every advert has negative comments on it. Everyone whose expressed interest has been lectured. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up as a PR exercise example, as in how not to do it and how not to apologise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
     so there probably will not be any music at the event now, which is a great shame.”

So they REALLY don’t want to pay for any musicians. They would rather have nothing. 

Trouble is I think this non-offer will be the norm for at least the next year.
    darius said:
     so there probably will not be any music at the event now, which is a great shame.”

So they REALLY don’t want to pay for any musicians. They would rather have nothing. 

i'm not sure. If the venue loses out for trying this arsewhole (sic) stunt and being unrepentant, other venues might think again. 

The so called apology got as much negative comments as the initial ad. 
    slacker said:
    darius said:

i'm not sure. If the venue loses out for trying this arsewhole (sic) stunt and being unrepentant, other venues might think again. 

Just thinking of the venues where music is not primary, like pubs. They’ve probably barely survived, there’s going to be no spare cash to pay musicians. And plenty of bands willing to play for nothing to get back in the game. 
    Music venues I guess will be very different, if they’re still here they should be able to return to normal. 
    Not too sure about pubs - I'd think they'd be grabbing anything to get the punters in

Feedback
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 396
    Shameless tossers.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    ICBM said:
    This sounds familiar.

Many years ago I played at an event like this in an acoustic trio I was in - some sort of arts event
    Modmins- someone has clearly stolen ICBM's log in.....can we check he's OK?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    darius said:
    slacker said:
    darius said:

Just thinking of the venues where music is not primary, like pubs. They’ve probably barely survived, there’s going to be no spare cash to pay musicians. And plenty of bands willing to play for nothing to get back in the game. 
    Music venues I guess will be very different, if they’re still here they should be able to return to normal. 
    The pub thing has always been about selling drink. If a band can bring in more revenue in drink sales than their fee, then it's worth doing. 

The problem here is are people going to want to go to a pub to see a band? We've all spent a nearly year in our homes. Add in the Covid passport...Enough digression. 

Venues have to start valuing musicians or it's a downward spiral. The only bands that will play are the ones who will do so for free. That brings down the quality of the music. 

From reading the Facebook feed one of the biggest causes for indignation was the the venue trousered aid money for the arts and wanted to hire musicians for free in an obvious exploitation of the situation. 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2621
    I don't have the time to go through the Facebook threads, so this is probably extensively covered, but I notice they promised a hamper "for all performers" rather than anything at all for each performer. Weasel words, there.

I wonder if they don't expect the performers to bring the audience as well.

That said, as a definitely non-professional performer, I don't mind playing for nothing as long as the organisers don't expect to demand anything of me - either what I play, or how I play it or whether I can bring a crowd. I definitely can't bring a crowd, even for very generous definitions of the word "crowd".