Metallica - Black Album Box Set / Reissue

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    edited March 2021
    Not too mention, Fade To Black, the run up to the outro part is literally National Acrobat!! 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    It's mad how these misconceptions still exist. They didn't actively state they were anti promotion. The thing was they could never get any airplay or exposure for a long time as they were considered too extreme, which is ridiculous when you look at some metal bands like Cannibal Corpse. They always did TV and radio stuff, you don't do that if you're "anti-promotion". 

The mainstream courted Metallica once they realised the power of the music and the fan base, and of course the mainstream sniffed an opportunity to make cash. When Metallica thought it was time and they were ready, they made a video on their terms, everything they've done has been their decision, not a label decision or management request. That's the difference, the only reason you know anything about Metallica is due to promotion, even back in the KEA era. Yes word of mouth played a part, but they were in all the metal rags and fanzines which helped whip up the hype.

All metal bands owe a debt of gratitude to Metallica, the greatest heavy band of all time. Without them, they would have struggled to make a career out of heavy music, Metallica opened the door for them. Yes there were other bands in the mix back in the US, and of course they did it standing on the shoulders of giants like Sabbath, Zeppelin, Maiden, and all the obscure shit like Diamond Head/NWOBHM Blue Cheer, MC5 etc. that inspired others. However they made heavy music part of the mainstream, something never achieved before. I mean they played songs off their first 4 albums on the Glastonbury main stage FFS!! How amazing is that!

I never understood that attitude of they were our band and they sold out, it feels a bit ridiculous. Wouldn't you want them to do well? To spread the message? Crazy stuff, I mean like or dislike the newer music, it's fine I've got no qualms with that, but to dislike them for doing well on their own terms seems weird. Having said that, I've seen it time and again when bands make it big and it still baffles me!

There's some heavy music on The Black Album too, Through The Never is a thrash song, Sad But True is heavy as hell! To dismiss it as they simplified the tunes is crazy to me, I mean I respect the opinion, but I can't understand it all the same. The band said it themselves, they saw the crowds reactions to the Justice progressive stuff, people were bored in the audience, so they changed their outlook and songwriting. Everyone blames Bob for the shorter, poppy songs, the reality is they'd written all them songs before Bob even had anything to do with them, so that was their choice. They took Bob a demo of 6 tracks including Sandman, Sad but True, Roam, etc. that they wrote in Lars basement prior to getting a producer in at all. 

I dunno, if you get to that point as a band on the cusp of being able to never actually worry about money again Vs needing to tour and sell records to pay rent, what would you do? It's easy to say, I'd do what Faith No More did and fuck off the mainstream when it's not your choice, less easy to do so when you think I wouldn't have to worry ever again. People also forget how hard they worked to get as big as they did, no band toured as hard or as long as Metallica did, even from the early years. They were road dogs with literally nothing until the Puppets/Justice era, when they could finally pay rent and stuff. They are known for their hard work and perseverance. Fame wasn't thrown at them, they paid their dues fair and square, a few times over. 

IMHO, YMMV and all that. I just can't get with the sell out argument about any band really. I think Metallica have trodden that line quite well compared to others. It's a game of opinions innit Jeff. 
    Well that's told me.. :) fantastic post @Boromedic . I loved Justice for the progressive elements and wanted more of that if I'm honest - songs with lots of twists and turns. I was also pretty judgemental about the new fans - proper selfishness and snobbery on my part I know.
    Sorry man, I didn't mean no harm, just defending the band a little bit thats all!

If you like Justice, have you heard Hardwired To Self Destruct? Atlas Rise would fit right on Justice and sounds amazing, theres lots of Death Magnetic thats very Justice like too, but it suffers from awful production so it can be a tiring listen.

I don't think you were being judgemental or snobby, I know how it's easy to feel possessive of a band you love from the early years on. I've had pangs of that myself to be sure! All the best mate, let me know iif you've heard the newer stuff or not and what you think either way. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Lars was head of the american Motorhead fan club in the early 80s so no surprise they had a bit of that

Orion mid section is Wishbone Ash
    Sanitarium is Bleak House
    For whom the bells toll is Angel Witch
    Call of khtulu is ted nugent 
    Seek and destroy is ufo via diamond head.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Another notable resemblance I can think of is the ultra heavy part in One and Dark Angel Darkness Descends 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I'm trying to work my way through some later Metalica albums as I really just gave up after Load came out.

I'm trying to listen to Death Magnetic and though there are clearly some songs on there it's the worst mastering I've ever heard. It's literally like they've run the mix through a DS1 it's clipping so much.

Apparently they have a remastered version, but it's only available on iTunes... Awesome why not make a wax cylinder and an 8 track while you are at it.
    Death Magnetic is an appalling listen, great album lost in the loudness war and a lack of QC. Hardwired is a lot lot better mate, sounds great and the songs are better, Atlas Rise is amazing as is Spit Out The Bone. 

tFB Trader
    Boromedic said:
    Death Magnetic is an appalling listen, great album lost in the loudness war and a lack of QC. Hardwired is a lot lot better mate, sounds great and the songs are better, Atlas Rise is amazing as is Spit Out The Bone. 

I just had a quick flick through I think St Anger and Death Magnetic must be two of the worst sounding albums by a major band of all time.

Hardwired seems much better.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I remember when Death Magnetic came out and thinking my headphones were knackered - it sounds absolutely awful. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    St Anger is what it is, it saved the band but it's shite really. The live versions of them songs are much better, there was a live DVD with the album that I actually preferred!!

Death Magnetic is so tiring to listen to due to the mastering, makes my ears actually hurt.

• ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Wasn’t there an uncompressed version of Death Magnetic used for the Guitar Hero game where the recording actually had some dynamics?
    tFB Trader
    Cols said:
    Wasn’t there an uncompressed version of Death Magnetic used for the Guitar Hero game where the recording actually had some dynamics?

Yeah that's what I'm complaining about.

It exists but it's not available except on iTunes.
    Probably not much help, but the vinyl also has far better mastering too. 

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Death Magnetic was a great album, ruined by mastering.
    I thought it was done at the time to discourage torrents, and I realised the joke was on me when I went out and bought it because the torrents were awful.
    CD was obviously awful too, so I torrented the game stems anyway.
    It was released as 3 x 12 inch singles, which should be the best quality available, but my copy stays virgin unplayed, 
    The live gig at the O2 was awesome, and their DVD, Through The Never, does capture some of that excitement.
    And it's out for pre-order!!

Already ordered the box set, now the wait!!!

Wow, The Black Album was released 30 years ago today! Seems like yesterday, takes me right back and I've got a million memories of those songs and that album. Albums used to be such events, and with the advent of streaming thats no longer the case. Makes me feel a little sad actually, but hey ho what can you do.

Really, really, really, looking forward to the box set now though!

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    edited August 2021
    Boromedic said:
    Wow, The Black Album was released 30 years ago today! Seems like yesterday, takes me right back and I've got a million memories of those songs and that album. Albums used to be such events, and with the advent of streaming thats no longer the case. Makes me feel a little sad actually, but hey ho what can you do.

Really, really, really, looking forward to the box set now though!
    Sad, but true.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Aye, tis always The Struggle Within....

• I remember it well , surely it can’t be 30 years , As an avid fan at the time I didn’t reckon much to it  but after 30 years it is one I play regularly now . Unforgiving is rubbish though and nothing else matters I can just about live with . I do enjoy sandman which some people probably think sad ,   Sad but true is ace and all the others . 30 years later I still can’t stand grunge though , nirvana, mud honey pearl jam, sound garden , load of old who get tripe , give me Dokken ,slaughter , bulletboys, van halen ,sea hags , love/hate ,bang tango ,vain  and of course Gn R and Aerosmith Any day of the week . 

On the thrash side anthrax, sacred reich , megadeth ,S.o.d  ,nuclear assault 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I remember buying it at Shades Records in London 30 years ago, they were about to send out the last copy as mail-order but they must have seen the disappointment in my little face and let me have it instead (apologies to that mail order customer).

I don't want to re-open all the old arguments about the quality of the album, whether they were selling out etc.  I still think it's a great album although I've become increasingly less interested in what they've done since, to the point that I actually kind of dislike the band now... and for that reason I don't think I can be arsed buying the box set, and haven't even bothered to read up on it.  I don't even know what it costs.  It's probably sold out already anyway.

I was wondering how they could possibly make it sound better, for me it's one of the best sounding albums of all time. Yet the remastered tracks on Spotify do sound ever so slightly better, I'll be interested to hear the vinyl when I get it and compare.

The box set isn't obscene when you see what you get, so I'm happy, it wasn't cheap and I have no idea on availability.

I know you say dislike them now, but if you did like them prior to say Load, then check out Hardwired, thats the best thing they've done since that era, for me anyway.