Wheatsheaf Oxford to become student housing

What's Hot
Love or hate the 'sheaf it's a major part of the Oxford music scene. Also one of the only remaining grass roots venues. 

I imagine resistance is futile, but If you've got 2 minutes to object, please do. 

https://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QO7O89MFMNH00&activeTab=summary&fbclid=IwAR05YqDnCKaanggiUXMmrC4o9s7-xxp2dRFy6r2sAucXV2V2-rL65ria_9A
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3611
    Done; moved to Oxford 12 months ago and was looking forward to seeing live music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2021
    We no longer have any need for these live music venues now that we've got Zoom! 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    drofluf said:
    Done; moved to Oxford 12 months ago and was looking forward to seeing live music. 
    Getting back to sheaf for some proper grotty sweaty rock is one of the things I'm most looking forward to after this virus bollocks. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    Shit, I was drinking back there in the 70s. Done!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    Love the place. They even have The Damned on their jukebox for God's sake. Signed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosden said:
    Love or hate the 'sheaf it's a major part of the Oxford music scene. Also one of the only remaining grass roots venues. 

I imagine resistance is futile, but If you've got 2 minutes to object, please do. 

Haven't been to Oxford for ages, was there a lot 1999-2000. The Point was fab. What's actually left in Oxford now? 

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Haven't been to Oxford for ages, was there a lot 1999-2000. The Point was fab. What's actually left in Oxford now? 
    Still quite a few of the little pubs. But the jericho Tavern is the only real "small" venue now. 
    Bullingdon and o2 are still going on cowely road, and the library sometimes puts on some insanity in the basement. 

Over 1000 objections on the plans last I checked. 
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    sgosden said:

Still quite a few of the little pubs. But the jericho Tavern is the only real "small" venue now. 
    Bullingdon and o2 are still going on cowely road, and the library sometimes puts on some insanity in the basement. 

Over 1000 objections on the plans last I checked. 
    A couple of fabulous bands I like used to play there I believe (Ride, Swervedriver & Radiohead)

What are the chances of this venue being saved? I've seen quite a few go and not be replaced.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    I can see a huge amount of objections for this. 

I think I only played the Wheatsheaf once or twice but spent more nights than I can remember upstairs in the Jericho both on and off stage. 

Is the Port Mahon still around? 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Who's behind the development out of interest? A college or a private company? 
    Glen De Unger of Pavot Property Investment, apparently. Nothing to do with any college as far as I can tell.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    It’d be better off kept as operating in the public sphere. Fingers crossed on this. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Don't they realise that the students would rather have live music than a place to live? 
    Don't they realise that the students would rather have live music than a place to live? 
    Having seen the rental yields for shitty quality accommodation in Oxford I'm guessing they're far more interested in 8% from 6 students per year than retaining maybe 1000 who visit once or twice a year and spend 10 quid each time, especially after a year of basically no revenue.
    edited March 2021
    Having seen the rental yields for shitty quality accommodation in Oxford I'm guessing they're far more interested in 8% from 6 students per year than retaining maybe 1000 who visit once or twice a year and spend 10 quid each time, especially after a year of basically no revenue.
    So why buy it in the first place if they knew they would have to pull a cunty move to make any money? If everybody was like that all things of cultural value would be destroyed.
    edited March 2021
    Duplicate post.
    Freebird said:
    So why buy it in the first place if they knew they would have to pull a cunty move to make any money? If everybody was like that all things of cultural value would be destroyed.
    Because they’re property developers - it’s what they do. I’m not defending it, but that would be their answer. 

Im not sure how long they’ve owned the place 
    It seems resistance wasn't futile; at least according to the local rag

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19227059.planning-application-wheatsheaf-withdrawn/
  • sgosden said:

What's actually left in Oxford now? 
    Horses.

Bye!

sgosden said:

What's actually left in Oxford now? 
    Horses.
    No we ate the last horse months ago